• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern California Steakhouses

rjwong

I recommend ONE HUNDRED PERCENT a steakhouse in Seal Beach on PCH called "Patty's Place."  Not many people have heard of Patty's - it is EXCELLENT.  The baked pork chop is unlike anything I've ever had.  Incredible.  Patty is almost always there - it's a great spot.

Damn you, knoxy, I was reading this thread in defensive mode, hoping that no one would "out" Patty's! It is our go-to spot in the area (as frequent guests at nearby Surfside) and if I can't get a table next time, it's all your fault! Seriously, I have chosen this over going into LA for a birthday dinner! Patty is always there are perfectly coiffed, steaks and pork chops are killer (as is the halibut when in season). I love the ambiance -- both indoors and out -- reminds me of childhood trips to SoCal in the 60s. Patty's rocks!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Has anyone been to Rainwaters on Ketner?  I haven't really heard much about them.

I have been on several occasions. It is quite good, though I haven't been in a few years so I can't offer a truly up to date opinion. Comparable to any other high end steakhouse in town but a bit more original in that is not a chain. Old school type vibe, good cocktails too.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

• 4 months later...

Damn J...that looks righteous!

BTW...this is Aaron.

By the way, Orange County is severely lacking in the steakhouse department and I really think a proper, old-school yet modern, hardcore steakery would do amazing here.  Shhh . . . don't tell anybody, but we've got our own little "speak easy" happening right in Costa Mesa where select diners get a full, private restaurant experience at our house.  Pairings are included and one time we presented our diners with: "Brown - A Costa Mesa Steakery".  The menu consisted of:

START:

Iced Shrimp with House-Made Cocktail Sauce

Lemon Parsley Salad

(1996 Louis Latour Batard-Montrachet)

-

SALAD:

Iceberg with Tomato & Shallot

Pt. Reyes Blue Cheese Dressing

(2004 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannsköhle Riesling Auslese)

-

MAIN:

Pan Roasted Prime Dry-Aged New York Strip Steak, Clarified Butter & Parsley

(1985 Shafer Hillside Select)

-

SIDES:

Creamed Spinach with Gruyere

"Chocolate Chip" Potatoes with Minced Black Truffle

-

FINISH:

"Vanilla Pudding for Grown-Ups"

(2005 Pride Mountain Mistelle de Viognier)

-

FINALE:

Dow’s 1994 Vintage Porto & Fine Davidoff Cigars

"Pen and Sword in Accord"

BTW...this is Aaron.

Wow man, how did you find this forum? Big welcome. For yucks, here are just a couple of several photos taken from the Costa Mesa steakhouse event some months back now:

gallery_12732_4564_22361.jpg

gallery_12732_4564_194131.jpg

gallery_12732_4564_74626.jpg

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Nice pics man...I still remember your braised short ribs! Damn tasty.

I think I stumbled upon this site from a blog a few years ago. I had a feeling I would run into you here.

BTW...this is Aaron.

Wow man, how did you find this forum? Big welcome. For yucks, here are just a couple of several photos taken from the Costa Mesa steakhouse event some months back now:

gallery_12732_4564_22361.jpg

gallery_12732_4564_194131.jpg

gallery_12732_4564_74626.jpg

"Pen and Sword in Accord"