• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mithai

percyn

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you started this post. I'm looking for a long-lost recipe from Southeast Asia but I suspect it's originally an Indian dessert. The name is ramamuthia - it's a kind of mithai or mutia. It's deep fried pastry balls the size of ping pong balls (that is supposedly hollow) in the centre. After it's fried, it's dried in the sun. Then it's dipped in a sugar syrup. It sounds a lot like gulab jamun, but I think the pastry has no dairy. Any thoughts?

regards

There are so many different Mithais available today; I am interested to hear about your favorite mithai or one that you would recommend to others.

Also interested in "mithai reviews".

I'm glad you started this post. I'm looking for a long-lost recipe from Southeast Asia but I suspect it's originally an Indian dessert.  The name is ramamuthia - it's a kind of mithai or mutia.  It's deep fried pastry balls the size of ping pong balls (that is supposedly hollow) in the centre. After it's fried, it's dried in the sun. Then it's dipped in a sugar syrup.  It sounds a lot like gulab jamun, but I think the pastry has no dairy.  Any thoughts?

regards

What you are describing sounds like til ladoo, a small ball of brown sugar and sesame seeds.

could it be something like balushahi, rather than til laddoo? b is dough fried at varying temperatures to cause layering in the short pastry, including a hollow center; it is then soaked in syrup.

More than likely it is that, a hollow Balushai/Tosha.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

My absolutely favorite mithai is the Indrani from Kaleva in Delhi

I'm so glad someone mentioned Kaleva, because it is my favourite sweet shop in the whole world. I've never had the Indrani, but they have so many to-die-for mithai. They make a fabulous "ghiye ki burfi" (burfi made with bottle gourd) and they have great seasonal specialities. In the summers, they make kulfi flavoured with fruit juices that are served in fruit rinds. Hence, orange kulfi, in an orange rind shell, and mango kulfi in a mango shell. In the winters they have "moong dal halva", "carrot halva" and gorgeous malpuas.

They have a lot of savoury goodies too, and when some of you make it to Delhi, do try their "dahi bada"!

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey!

I'm usually in pastry and baking but since I'm from B'bay I decided why not check this forum out...those mithai pics from a long time ago were tempting beyond belief. Anyway, does anyone know the name of a parsi mithai that was shaped like a fish with a cute red eye? Sigh...how I loved eating that. Thanks folks!

Aria,

MAWANI BOI

Serves 6

Ingredients:

4 cups sweetened khoya

2 tbsps mixed pistachios and almonds

2 leaves of silver varkh (Silver leaf)

1 fish shaped mould

1 cherry

Method:

Fish is an auspicious motif for Parsis. This dish is a symbol of luck and good fortune. Knead khoya with half the nuts. Grease the mould lightly and line with the varkh. Press khoya tightly in the mould and turn over on a dish. Garnish with remaining nuts and add the cherry for the eye.

Sometime back I had made one using roasted almond flakes as scales.

Thanks Episure! I can't believe it that I reminisce about...yes, mawani boi and I get a recipe just like that. Maybe I'll try and make it sometime. Is it still popular in India? I remember when I was little in the 80s it was really popular. Anyway, my only hurdle is finding varkh in Toronto, but I'll try.

Mawani Boi does make festive appearances but it really is a large peda which is ever popular in it's bite sized form.

Here's one more of my favourites(with a twist :biggrin: ) which I made yesterday on the occasion of Holi.

Chocolate stuffed Gulab Jamuns

gulab-jamun.jpg

• 2 years later...

Some gorgeous pictures here. I think were I to eat these, they would be my favorites!

My favorite mithai are various halwas (especially carrot) and milk cakes (especially Kalakhand). Generally if it's white, or if it's called halwa, I love it. I tend to like every Indian milk dessert (Shrikhand, rasmulai, sondesh, etc.), even if they are not mithai strictly speaking. Laddoos are hit and miss (they come in such a wide variety), and I'm not a big fan of burfi. Burfi tend to be too grainy for me--it seems too much like a mashed up sugar bomb. (Similarly, I find besan desserts too grainy and earthy for my tastes).

Jalebi and similar treats are OK once in a while. Gulab Jamun is delicious but ubiquitous.

Edited by eipi10 (log)

Episure--I just noticed your gulab jamun today (more than two years later...)--wow! Do you ship to Japan? :wub: I can only get the ones in a can here, and they're just not the same!

To me, the best gj are the ones that have a bit of crunchy undissolved sugar in the middle. Could you make me some of those, too? :smile: