• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Chocolates and Teas

morela

Minister of D®ink and I are thinking of venturing out in the real world after a few more inches fall. I've never not gone to a bar on a snow day since I've been of boozing age... :shock:

Minister's still partially honoring the early stages of the South Beach Diet...and I'm pretending to follow in his foot steps. So, where can we go to get a hot drink that's cooler than our Tazo teas at home? Someone said Oyamel for hot chocolate? Why is this?

Please help! Our wagon is out of fuel.

Oyamel's hot chocolate isn't overly sweet and has some kick to it.

Go to Ceiba and get the churros with hot chocolate. Talk them into making a big cup of the chocolate instead of just a dipping cup. Of course, not too nice to consume this next to a South Beacher, but he can have some wonderful ceviche to make up for it.

Let Bank Cafe on Wisconsin near Friendship Hts. Thick, wonderful stuff.

Someone said Oyamel for hot chocolate?  Why is this? 

Because Oyamel hot chocolate is really, really good: it's not overly sweet, and has a cocoa/anise/chile thing going. I was actually thinking of trekking over there myself, though I'd probably get the 'cafe de olla' just because I've never had that before. They both come in clay pots and are enough for two or three people.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Please help!  Our wagon is out of fuel.

Then fall off the damn thing. There's no carbs in decent scotch. Well known fact.

I was thinking of just dangling one leg when no one was looking (Oh, did I just say that?)...

Who are you kidding. You both know damn well that you'll and up at Ray's. Fortunate for you everyone gets hot chocolate upon departure.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Have you tried churros con chocolate at Madrid Churreria in Adams Morgan?

Oyamel's hot chocolate isn't overly sweet and has some kick to it.

Go to Ceiba and get the churros with hot chocolate.  Talk them into making a big cup of the chocolate instead of just a dipping cup.  Of course, not too nice to consume this next to a South Beacher, but he can have some wonderful ceviche to make up for it.

Let Bank Cafe on Wisconsin near Friendship Hts.  Thick, wonderful stuff.

-Jason

Please help!  Our wagon is out of fuel.

Then fall off the damn thing. There's no carbs in decent scotch. Well known fact.

Not just yet -- but I hear you loud and clear on the scotch. If I couldn't have that I'd have to cause someone's death, with pain.

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

Mmm. Hot Chocolate and teas.

Well...

I had another cup of yuck from Dingleberries Coffee next to Ray's today. And then I dropped about $13 on some lovely Pineapple Guava White Tea (Republic of Tea) from Whole Foods.

I'd like to get to Oyamel really soon. Thanks for all the suggestions, honestly.

The wagon is okay.

yup. I go for churros con chocolate....but they do have a full menu. Used to be a real dive, but tehy redid it recently.

Have you tried churros con chocolate at Madrid Churreria in Adams Morgan?

Nope. But sounds like you are suggesting I add it to my list this winter.

-Jason

Growing up in Madrid, I learned there is nothing better than a crisp churro with a cup of thick, rich, not overly sweet chocolate. However, Churreria Madrid just breaks my heart.

Their churros are wonderful when freshmade. Crisp little curclicues of deep-fried heaven, lightly sugared. Bliss. Unfortunately, they have a nasty habit of giving you old ones from time to time! C'mon guys! Its fried dough! It costs you pennies! Cook them to order!

I gave up on their chocolate a long time ago. They were serving a watery chocolate! I suspect it was Swiss Miss! Real Spanish hot chocolate should be thick and rich so that it clings to the churro without destroying the texture. It should really be like a hot chocolate pudding. (Just kidding. That would be gross. Kinda.) Churreria's watery stuff just makes the churros mushy.

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam; spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. "

Their churros are wonderful when freshmade. Crisp little curclicues of deep-fried heaven, lightly sugared. Bliss. Unfortunately, they have a nasty habit of giving you old ones from time to time! C'mon guys! Its fried dough! It costs you pennies! Cook them to order!

The one time we went, we got the hard (I mean REALLY hard), old ones. I remember the fresh, hot churros from my high school cafeteria as being MUCH better. It was such a disappointment, and we haven't been back since (also due to a mediocre, dry paella), which is a shame, since we live about 30 yards down the same block.

Came thisclose to giving it another shot during the first snowfall on Wed. (it just sounded so cozy!), but ended up at the rooftop happy hour at the Reef with heavy wool blankets and hot spiked cider, just in time to witness the inaugural fireworks (and lament).

Edited by littlechinagirl (log)

Next time, go to Churreria and insist on fresh churros. Take them home and make yourself a cup of this:

http://www.tienda.com/food/pop/bv-09.html

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam; spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. "

I guess i've been lucky. the churros have been good when I've went there. As far as the hot chocolate..it has been good for dunking. Certainly not watery or swiss miss like....but not thick like what i had in spain. Supposedly...they ahd the thock stuff originally...but "Americans" didn't go for it. *shrug*

Growing up in Madrid, I learned there is nothing better than a crisp churro with a cup of thick, rich, not overly sweet chocolate. However, Churreria Madrid just breaks my heart.

I gave up on their chocolate a long time ago. They were serving a watery chocolate! I suspect it was Swiss Miss! Real Spanish hot chocolate should be thick and rich so that it clings to the churro without destroying the texture. It should really be like a hot chocolate pudding. (Just kidding. That would be gross. Kinda.) Churreria's watery stuff just makes the churros mushy.

-Jason

The version I had for dessert at Blacksalt was probably the best I've ever had. Huge cup topped with whipped cream served with a small dish of homemade marshmallows and two sugar cookies. Creamy, chocolatey, and the marshmallows almost melt on top.

Not cheap at $7, but it is a full dessert, not just a drink.

Bill Russell