• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thomas Keller's "Bouchon" Cookbook

Bond Girl

With my first attempt at Keller's quiche proving an absolute disaster, I was a little nervous to try it again. Thankfully, this time it worked perfectly, and... wow. Just wow. Having eaten quiche lorraine countless times before I knew more or less what flavours to expect, but the texture was incredible. The perfectly set custard looks amazing on the plate, and melts on your tongue like a spoonful of thickened cream.

I don't know if this made a difference, but after removing the pie weights I painted the inside of the crust thinly with whisked egg white in an attempt to seal it. I think I'll continue to do this when I make it again -- possibly a useless step, but I'd rather waste one egg white than half a day of work.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake