• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer vacation in southern Maine

francois

I would like to spend a week in southern Miane (near Ogunquit) in July with my wife and teenage daughter. Looking for a cottage with a decently equiped kitchen(I want to be able to cook some of the great seafood!), not far from the sea, with access to a pool if possible.

Any suggestion?

I can't help with specific reco's on cottages, but there is a web site for the local tourism office. There are a number of good restaurants in the area. Arrows is our favorite. We consider it one of the top places we've ever been to. The other is 98 Provence, which we have never been to, but comes highly recommended.

I'd stay away from The White Barn Inn. We've had bad times there (mediocre food and wine, turning tables, expensive.

Dan

I'd second the recommendation for Arrows, with the caveat that it will certainly be one of the more expensive meals you'll have anywhere....Maine, Boston, New York, you name it.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

We used to own a house in the Boothbay vicinity when we sailed and we still go up every year to stay on Monhegan Island. There are lots of great places in Boothbay to rent, and lots of good eating options as well.

Ocean Point Inn is a nice little place, and there are some other (more expensive) places I could also point you to.

I've used this site CyberRentals - Maine on a couple of occasions with great results.

Me too.

Boothbay has a lot of charm & also a lot of tourists. Some folks like the crowds; I prefer more remote places. Maine is a place where you can make that kind of choice; that's one of the many things I love about being there.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I know you said Ogunquit, Francois, but after many trips up the Maine coast I believe that life begins in Penobscot Bay and just gets better after that. I personally like the area just south of Camden for reachability plus a sense that you're actually somewhere different. Try the St. George peninsula - Tenant's Harbor region. You have to at least get north of the Bush compound in Kennebunkport!

L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens