• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mitsuwa in Edgewater

Pitter

The chutoro was indeed good, but the otoro was amazingly beyond belief as normal... however, I couldn't get any decent photos since the charger for my camera is AWOL and my PPC-6700's cameraphone function is pretty awful.  :-( 

Chihiran: I don't buy meat or fish at Mitsuwa; it's tremendously overpriced.  I live in Lyndhurst and do my grocery shopping around there.  I go for Japanese stuff that I can't get anywhere else, though, but I'm in East Hanover more and more and should really be going to Kam Man.  Their seafood is hit-or-miss, but when it hits, it's the good stuff.

Thank you for your report.

Someone posted some pictures in his blog. :rolleyes:

It isn't much of a report, so I'll add on some further details:

Mitsuwa's latest flyer is celebrating regional culture as shown through Japan Rail bento boxes. That might seem like a tour of the Midwest via the food medium of snack stands at train stations, but JR bentos are real, unique expressions of local cuisine. I don't have the flyer on me right now (it's at work) but there's several different airlifted bentos available, including seafood-stuffed croquettes, smoked mackerel, and what will hopefully be fresh-made okonomiyaki, a really great experience to try if you haven't yet.

Hiroyuki, I know there's an actual term for these bento, but it escapes me right now. :-(

It happens this weekend, I believe, from the 10th to the 13th. There's also new additions to the menu at the food court stalls: a "white" ma bo tofu at Tokyo Hanten, a tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet with Japanese sauce) rice bowl (tastier than it sounds!) and a special gyudon (beef bowl) and soba set.

Ito En is also running a deal; buy two cases of their apple tea, get a third free (I think).

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Hiroyuki, I know there's an actual term for these bento, but it escapes me right now.  :-( 

You mean ekiben? They are beautiful and interesting to look at, but I usually don't buy them because they are rather expensive even by Japanese standards and konbini (convenience store) bentos are much cheaper. In Japan, ekiben fairs are quite popular, often held at department stores.

• 1 month later...

We were at Mitsuwa on Saturday with a friend and after some tribulation, I decided it was time to give in and try Tokyo Hanten. I have to admit, I was very surprised. I had a plate of spicy dumplings with fried rice, and if I didn't get the "spicy" (basically they dusted the dumplings with red pepper powder) I think it'd have been a really killer dish.

The dumplings were basic gyoza/jiaozi, but they definitely tasted like they were just made. The filling wasn't too densely packed and had plenty of flavor, the wrapper was at just the right thickness (not very) and there was a soy-based dipping sauce that complemented the flavors nicely. The fried rice was quite good, very evenly coated with egg. It's probably up there with Hunan Cottage or any other good Chinese place in the area.

There was a forgettable shredded radish salad that would have been better just as shredded radish, and a little dish of Chinese style broth that was clean, refreshing, and flavorful.

There are tons of other styles for the dumplings (there's a plum sauce, a sesame salt dipping powder, etc) but I think I'd avoid trying those for the dumplings. They're too good straight up, IMHO. Next time I'll give in and try the hamburger steak. There was a fantastic scallion-based sauce for it.

I have to admit it was really, really hard to peel myself away from the ramen. I think it's worth a try, but go right to Tokyo Hanten and don't even look at the ramen on display.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

• 5 months later...

TAKOYAKI IS HAPPENING! I got the Mitsuwa flyer in the mail yesterday and this weekend, a group of Takoyaki chefs from Japan will be flying in and doing fresh takoyaki all this weekend, from the 25th to the 28th (I believe, gotta verify when I double-check the flyer at home).

This last happened at least a year and a half or so ago and is not to be missed. Fresh takoyaki is so delicious and it's better to go in here than to schlep into the city for Otafuku's delicious variant.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm soooo disappointed I missed this event even though I'd been planning to go. The last time I had fresh takoyaki was...in all places...London on the streets a number of years ago. Let's hear a report so that I can experience it vicariously. ;P