• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eating on the cheap!

binkyboots

ah!

ok, next time (hehe, next week) I have a chicken carcass I'll have another shot, 6 - 8 hours, wow. does slow cooker stock work? our hob is electric and things tend to get pretty hot on it, I miss my gas hob so much at moments like these.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

I've used a slow cooker many times. It won't concentrate the stock at all, but it's nice when you don't want to heat up the kitchen or have the stovetop free.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

My cheap meal tonight is Chicken in Milk.

Chicken $5.75

Milk $0.79

Sage $1.29

Lemons $0.66

Garlic $1.50 (several bulbs)

Total $9.99

I have the pepper, salt, cinammon stick and butter in the pantry. It's a great dish, very little work, and it is good for two meals.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

• 1 year later...

I've copied several recipes/ideas from this thread. When the heat dies down, I'll give em a trial run. Hooray for cheap eats.

Never heard of Lidl.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Some great ideas here in this thread. I cannot believe how much my weekly grocery bill is just for two people!! Oh, and 10 cats who get the "good" cat food.

I have found that when I go early in the am to my local grocery store they mark down the meats that are near expiration, and often find a good deal.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"