• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good takeout in Vancouver

Chocoholic

I love to cook and we attempt to eat home cooked food as much as possible but sometimes it just isn't possible. Especially these days with a 16 month old running around the house. We have a small list of places we get take out or delivery from, I bet there are places I don't know that may be worthy additions (for example we to this date haven't found a really good Chinese place)

Indian: Raga (pickup, around the corner) or delivery from Maurya

Thai: Chao Praya Thai

Meat: Memphis Blues (3 minute walk...a blessing and a curse all at once)

Roti: Nice and Spicy (pickup on the drive home along Broadway)

Japanese: Jumbo Sushi on 6th & Willow (tiny mom & pop place, great food and value)

These places have always been consistently good and we rarely stray from our list.

I'd love to see similar lists if anyone has them...

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Most of the local haunts in our Yaletown "hood" do takeout very well. Capones, Cioppinos, Rodney's, Samurai Sushi, Cactus Club, Banano's, etc...

My heart though leaped when I saw that Vera's now delivered! This euphoria lasted a whole two minutes until they told me that we are two blocks outside of their delivery boundary?!?! :huh::shock::sad:

We are maybe 6 blocks away so it's not that big a deal to hoof it up there, but damn that stung.

BTW, anyone tried the Cactus Clubs "Rib Ends"? They are sooo good. A bit overcooked so they are crispy and chewy. Yummy, a perfect late night snack after drinks.....

There was a thread a while back, Dec I think, about my Delivery fiasco. If anything it will at least be a good laugh! I usually order my Indian form Ashiana, I find it to be absolutely fantastic and a great price. For Japanese I usually just walk the half a block to Toshi's, which I think is one of the best Japanese restaurants in the city. Good luck getting a table though, it's always packed. I think my lastest pick-up spot will be HSG. The salad that I had from there earlier in the week was fantastic.

Found it, hope this worksDelivery in the City A Rant

Edited by peppyre (log)

I bet there are places I don't know that may be worthy additions (for example we to this date haven't found a really good Chinese place)

What about Fortune Garden? Same block as Cru, Velvet and Memphis Blues.

With a 3 1/2-year-old son, we do our fair share of lazy-night takeout. I just picked him up from preschool, so I'll post my list at naptime. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I think my lastest pick-up spot with be HSG.

Hey, careful how you phrase that ! We would not want people to get the wrong idea about what sort of spot this is. Although lately, with all of the egulleters getting hanger steak, it could be called a "Meat Market" :biggrin:

Most of the take out we get is from Memphis Blues but I think I could have overdosed on it. I just don't love it anymore.

We often get a roasted chicken from Urban Fare as it is open late and I will devour when I get home. For those of you who don't work in restaurants, you don't always want the food that you have been cooking all evening .

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

There was a thread a while back, Dec I think, about my Delivery fiasco.  If anything it will at least be a good laugh!  I usually order my Indian form Ashiana, I find it to be absolutely fantastic and a great price.  For Japanese I usually just walk the half a block to Toshi's, which I think is one of the best Japanese restaurants in the city.  Good luck getting a table though, it's always packed.  I think my lastest pick-up spot with be HSG.  The salad that I had from there earlier in the week was fantastic.

Found it, hope this worksDelivery in the City  A Rant

Thanks for the link - I'd forgotten how funny that was.

I can second Fortune Garden - not the best Chinese Food I've ever had, but we always enjoyed it (and it was close) - good szechuan ginger beef.

I've tried to find Chinese take out that I really like for years and after much searching (and I mean much – I’ll provide a list of all the “rejects” to anyone who wants it :biggrin: ), I do believe I've found *the* place. It's called Szechuan Chili (802 West 6th Ave. 604-874-3737). I really like the Szechuan Style fried green beans and the Northern Style Shredded Chicken Chow Mein. I've been getting Cantonese Style (crispy noodles) all these years and finally discovered that what I really wanted was the Northern Style (soft noodles). The noodles could be a tad wider for my liking but it's pretty darn good. The prawns in black bean sauce are also good though sometimes the prawns are a tad mushy.

For sushi, I've been known to drive over to Cambie and 15th for take out from Shiro which is one of my fav sushi places in town. I used to get a lot of take out from Sushi King in Kerrisdale with my ex-beau as he was into quantity over quality, thought it's not bad, just not really great. The portions are huge and the owners are delightful but I much, much, prefer the sushi at Shiro.

For Thai, so far I've only ordered from the Thai House and it's not bad. I wish that the Thai restaurant further up Cambie (from Shiro's that is) delivered but they don't and I can't even remember the name right now... darn it.

For Indian, I've had delivery a couple of times from India Grill on West 4th. Some things were good but the last time I ordered butter chicken and that's not what it was, so a tad hit and miss.

And then.... there's always pizza :smile:Athene's on Broadway has pretty good stuff and cheap too.... and then there’s Nat's, also on Broadway. More expensive but extremely yummy pizza.

My oh my, no wonder I don’t get out to eat much…. I’m always ordering in. Well, that’s not really true, I also love to cook, but pulling out my entire selection of take out menus did give me pause. :blink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

For sushi, I've been known to drive over to Cambie and 15th for take out from Shiro which is one of my fav sushi places in town.

I LOVE Shiro!!! He's right next to our showroom, so I'm usually there at least once a week. Super friendly and awesome quality. They refer to me as "man with shaved head" :laugh:

For Thai, so far I've only ordered from the Thai House and it's not bad.  I wish that the Thai restaurant further up Cambie (from Shiro's that is) delivered but they don't and I can't even remember the name right now... darn it.

Are you thinking of Sala Thai? Or Thai Away Home? Neither deliver. :sad:

And then.... there's always pizza  :smile:  Athene's on Broadway has pretty good stuff and cheap too.... and then there’s Nat's, also on Broadway.  More expensive but extremely yummy pizza.

Keeping in the Cambie & 14th area ... have you tried the Fireside Pizza place?

Out here in the burbs of Burnaby, our favorite delivery is Pepper House for Szechuan. $19 for their "Dinner for 2" which feeds J & I for two meals. I love calling the place because the woman who answers the phone always asks me "And what else?" after I order the combo. Then she asks me if i want to order something else so I can get their "free pepper wings". For almost 2 years I thought she said "pepper ring." :blink:

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

For sushi, I've been known to drive over to Cambie and 15th for take out from Shiro which is one of my fav sushi places in town.

I LOVE Shiro!!! He's right next to our showroom, so I'm usually there at least once a week. Super friendly and awesome quality. They refer to me as "man with shaved head" :laugh:

Kinda like Shiro himself :biggrin:

For Thai, so far I've only ordered from the Thai House and it's not bad. I wish that the Thai restaurant further up Cambie (from Shiro's that is) delivered but they don't and I can't even remember the name right now... darn it.

Are you thinking of Sala Thai? Or Thai Away Home? Neither deliver. :sad:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

So, Daddy-A, you have NEVER gone for an extra dish to see what the "pepper ring" is all about ... I'm disappointed. Next time I suggest you go for it.

On the Thai front, Sala Thai is one of the best That restaurants in town, IMO, so worth getting take out even though you have to pick it up (if it is not too far out of your path).

However, I'm now ready to drive across two bridges to try the Thai that Andrew mentioned ... the one that was donating to Tsunami victims last Monday ...can't remember the name.

On the Chinese front, in past years we always, (seriously twice a week addiction) ordered from Golden Great Wall. Something happened there and now the chef and FOH staff are changed. We have had excellent meals from Golden Szechuan (Broadway/Burrard) although usually in the restaurant, as well as from New Grand View - mostly delivery. Special note to Peppyre, New Grand View is the speediest delivery - sometimes as short as 20 minutes.

Appreciator, can you PM me your list of Chinese rejects ... I could eat Asian 2 or 3 meals a day, and most of them would be Chinese.

Toko is another great spot for casual lunch/dinner or take out. They are on 7th a few blocks east of Cambie

Has anyone tried the place that is in the location where Vong's used to be - on Fraser/27th -ish ...? Curious minds, haven't had a chance to get there of late.

So, Daddy-A, you have NEVER gone for an extra dish to see what the "pepper ring" is all about ... I'm disappointed.  Next time I suggest you go for it.

On the Thai front, Sala Thai is one of the best That restaurants in town, IMO, so worth getting take out even though you have to pick it up (if it is not too far out of your path). 

However, I'm now ready to drive across two bridges to try the Thai that Andrew mentioned ... the one that was donating to Tsunami victims last Monday ...can't remember the name.

On the Chinese front, in past years we always, (seriously twice a week addiction) ordered from Golden Great Wall.  Something happened there and now the chef and FOH staff are changed.  We have had excellent meals from Golden Szechuan (Broadway/Burrard) although usually in the restaurant, as well as from New Grand View - mostly delivery.  Special note to Peppyre, New Grand View is the speediest delivery - sometimes as short as 20 minutes.

Appreciator, can you PM me your list of Chinese rejects ... I could eat Asian 2 or 3 meals a day, and most of them would be Chinese. 

Toko is another great spot for casual lunch/dinner or take out.  They are on 7th a few blocks east of Cambie

Has anyone tried the place that is in the location where Vong's used to be - on Fraser/27th -ish ...?  Curious minds, haven't had a chance to get there of late.

:biggrin: New Grand View has been my Chinese Delivery place for the last 8 years. Great food, great prices, great service. Lately I've also been ordering from New Sun on Cambie. The driver knows me :huh:

Have you tried Hawkers Delight on Main for take out? It's Malaysian/Indonesian/street food. I can pick up dinner for 2 for $14 and have leftovers. It's wonderful and I highly recomend it to anyone.

I think my lastest pick-up spot with be HSG.

Hey, careful how you phrase that ! We would not want people to get the wrong idea about what sort of spot this is.

Huggy, word is all over the street.

Then she asks me if i want to order something else so I can get their "free pepper wings".  For almost 2 years I thought she said "pepper ring."  :blink:

Isn't "pepper ring" always free? It usually arrives the morning after. :raz:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

So, Daddy-A, you have NEVER gone for an extra dish to see what the "pepper ring" is all about ... I'm disappointed.  Next time I suggest you go for it.

Oh, I did ... turns out she said "wing" but I heard "ring" :laugh: They were simply hot wings. Not worth the beef & broccoli I ordered to get my free wings.

A.

Ah, Vongs...gone for almost a year now. :sad: Used to get a group together every couple of months, take in our brown bags, & have a feast.

Lately for Chinese delivery, we've been enjoying:

The Ridge Restaurant

3113 Arbutus St

604 736 5231

For Thai, so far I've only ordered from the Thai House and it's not bad.  I wish that the Thai restaurant further up Cambie (from Shiro's that is) delivered but they don't and I can't even remember the name right now... darn it.

I think you mean Thai Away Home on Cambie and 17th. I order from there at least once a week- absolutely fantastic food. The thing I like most about it is that the place seems spotlessly clean, therefore I imagine my food is well taken care of... :biggrin: I too wish they delivered...I live in Kits!

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy

I think you mean Thai Away Home on Cambie and 17th. I order from there at least once a week- absolutely fantastic food. The thing I like most about it is that the place seems spotlessly clean, therefore I imagine my food is well taken care of... :biggrin: I too wish they delivered...I live in Kits!

When I posted, I was actually thinking of Sala Thai but Thai Away Home is really good too. I'm also in Kits.... perhaps if we ask them really nicely, they'll open a branch in our 'hood.... along 4th somewhere would work for me, would that work for you? :biggrin:

sarah

When I posted, I was actually thinking of Sala Thai but Thai Away Home is really good too. I'm also in Kits.... perhaps if we ask them really nicely, they'll open a branch in our 'hood.... along 4th somewhere would work for me, would that work for you? :biggrin:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy

I experimented with a few Chinese places (including New Sun, which I must not have ordered the good stuff, as I never ordered from them again...I can't remember specifically why though) and like Peppyre and Sushicat, ended up with New Grand View (they have a website, too, if you want to check out their menu).

I love their General Tao's Chicken to distraction, and it certainly has a place in my life (and on my hips). They're not 100% consistent, but I have always been happy with what I got, which is saying something.

Mmmm, I think I may need some of that chicken and some Shanghai noodles to get me through this week!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies