• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bronx (All of It!)

Pumpkin Lover

This semester, I will be an arts/entertainment/culture reporter for the Bronx Beat, the Columbia J-School-produced weekly newspaper. We've gotten specific requests from other reporters to work on the Bronx food scene--of course, I was planning to dig into this anyway. :smile: But, I need your help.

Next week, I'll be exploring the borough: I'll be touring the Hunts Point market with someone in charge of it, and I'll also be walking the streets with a native Bronx reporter. I know that Arthur Avenue is an area dominated by food, but I'm wondering if there are any other enclaves (most likely immigrant neighborhoods) that also have good food scenes.

I'm wondering: are there South Asian neighborhoods up there? Middle Eastern? I'm thinking that Bronx's diversity might resemble that of Queens, but I'm not sure. A guy from City Planning once told me to explore the communities surrounding hospitals; there are usually Filipino communities and restaurants that are located close to local hospitals (at least, that's how it works in Queens). So I want to explore those. But, are there any other neighborhoods with strong or growing food scenes that you guys would recommend?

Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated! I'm quite excited about this assignment, actually, even if Arthur Ave. is the only place that I go to cover food this semester. :biggrin:

I'd say Bayschester and Boston road area for extraordinary Jamaican food, Yankee Stadium area for mainly Puerto Rican and some Dominican food and (if that counts) Yonkers at the border of the Bronx for Middle Eastern food (mainly Jordanian, Palestinian).

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I've found a wealth of Puerto Rican food in the South Bronx near the 3rd and Willis ave bridges. Also where the 6 train lets off at 149th street. But for a most exciting adventure, there's a wholesale market under the Deegan expressway just south of Yankee stadium. You can find many African specialties as well as lots of Caribbean items. Oh year and I just discovered a Mexican place on 138th street just off third avenue called. . . I can't remember but it features tongue, cow's head, and pig skin tacos to name just a few. El something or other. Also sandwiches called tortas.

Also way up toward Arthur Ave on 3rd is a halal market where they are slaughtering chickens, goats, sheep and even cows. It's a hell of a sight to see. Probably in the 160s or 170's.

Happy hunting.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Loads of stuff on East Tremont and some on Gunhill.

Here are some from Robert Sietsema, the intrepid Voice critic.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

When I used to teach at Bronx Community College (1996-1998), I used to go to El Valle on Burnside just west of Arthur Av. for lunch frequently. They used to have great pollo a la brasa, which I got a quarter of (cuarto de muslo = leg quarter) with white rice and red beans for $2, later raised to $2.50. Obviously, it's way too long ago to recommend the place (and my one time trying El Valle on 135 or so and Broadway was disappointing, but that was also a few years ago and I don't know if the two places are related), but if anyone does check the place out, I'd be really curious how the chicken is now. I recall that they used a wonderfully garlicky sauce. I loved that place and considered that the best pollo a la brasa in the city, at least as far as I knew (better than El Malecon)!

What happened to that pizzeria in Throgs Neck, I believe, that Sietsema reviewed? I can't find it at that link JJ posted.

Michael aka "Pan"

Yes it is. Do you have any recommendations there? I've never gone there, but others have been underwhelmed by the food on offer.

I would really pass on city island. I was brought there as a college student by fellow students who thought it was the greatest place on earth for seafood.

It is like going to Red Lobster with a view on the ocean. Everything you get there is overcooked and flavorless.

Is the Stella Doro bakery plant still open in the Bronx.

Good Burgers at the Piper's Kilt on 231st St.

Still an IHOP open in Riverdale, I believe.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

I almost forgot also to mention S&S cheesecake on 238th St. and broadway if i remember correctly. It is a "Bronx classic". I do not like cheesecake but this is the only one I can eat.

El Economico on Broadway and 231st St. has incredible Dominican food (the best i've had bronx and washington heights combined). They make an incredible "sancocho" (some sort of dominican stew).

In the Yankee Stadium area there is a place called Cuchifritos on 161st St. which has decent spanish food. They make "pasteles en hoja" (hard to describe sorry) which are really good.

I had mentionned upthread Jamaican places on Boston Road. There is one called Blue Mountain Cuisine at 3762 Boston Road. It is a take out place only but they make the best jamaican stews I've had so far (jerk chicken, curry goat etc...).

Do not be deterred by the appearance of the place (the food will be handed to you through a bullet proof window!!), it is really worth it. They also make their own sorrel juice which is fantastic!!!

I recently had the chance to have cheesecake from what I must assume was the aforementioned bakery on 238 St. I haven't been there, but someone brought the cheesecake over from the Bronx to a gig I had in New Jersey. It's great cheesecake, made with ungummy cheese, and I might like it better than Two Little Red Hens. Thanks for mentioning it, Zeitoun.

Michael aka "Pan"

WOW! eGullet comes through again. Thank you guys so much. This has given me a great start.

By MHesse :

//Is the Stella Doro bakery plant still open in the Bronx//

I pass by the bakery when driving from Westchester to my apartment. Do you have an exact location for it?

Zeitoun, thank you for all your input. This really sounds great to me:

//There is one called Blue Mountain Cuisine at 3762 Boston Road.//

I went to Negril last month, and seeing the words "Blue Mountain" makes me very happy, esp. if that restaurant has the same great Jamaican coffee. :smile:

These tips were fantastic, and hopefully I will be good about reporting my findings not only to the Bx Beat, but here as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I can't WAIT to explore all this places!

There's a GREAT Mom and Pop Filipino grocery in my neighborhood: - The Filipino Food Center at 234 E. Gunhill Road - they've got counter top desserts, snacks, and entrees. A must stop! Try mid day - they don't usually open on time in the morning.

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

• 1 month later...

Hey again--

Going through these entries mid-semester is really helpful--I need to do more walking around, for sure.

I've got another request: in the next two weeks, I'll be looking at the wine scene in the Bronx. I was wondering if there are any wine appreciation groups, maybe in Riverdale or Parkchester? Any shops that you guys know of and can recommend (besides Mt. Carmel Wine on 187th)? Any help would be much appreciated. :smile: