• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

COOKING UNDER FIRE from PBS: April 27 premiere

Gifted Gourmet

So am I.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The grand prize is to work for someone else???? You should throw in a used car, and a bar tab. I mean really, a competion for lead cook? Can you name the chefs of English's other resaurants? Who really wins here?

That was one of my main questions. But we've got to have a place for the ADD, fringe misfits and criminally insane in our society--and I know of no better place than the restaurant kitchen. There are good kitchens and bad kitchens and this is a chance for some young cook to maybe find a good one. I'm really eager to see who wants to come out for this thing. Passion when you get down to it is really just a highbrow name for dementia—but no matter what you want to call it, I think that's going to be the determining factor—irrevocable dementia dovetailing with actually being able to cook. Throw in a used car, all the better, I'd say.

As for Bourdain's comments on the sartorial nature of the show, I was unaware. Though blue is my favorite color. And electro-shock dog collars for the contestants? I personally don't have a problem with this. It sounds efficient. Neglecting to skim the crud off your brown sauce. Zap! Might work.

The grand prize is to work for someone else???? You should throw in a used car, and a bar tab. I mean really, a competion for lead cook? Can you name the chefs of English's other resaurants? Who really wins here?

That's why I will not be trying out for it.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

For a young cook or a culinary student to leap into a nyc sous chef position, that plus the attention of a national audience could really jumpstart a culinary career.  that same cook would likely have to work three to five years to reach the same position.  so its aim would be to attract people for whom that goal was desirable

To attract them and expose their weaknesses for our entertainment. PBS has a good track record in cooking, but as Jinmyo says, it's TV. I hope this is real, and not "reality" fame on the line. If I'm supsicious of anything, it's jump starting culinary careers with a bit of quick public fame. If I've been critical of American chefs and restaurants, it's that sense that a degree from a culinary school, not a pot of good veal stock, that makes one a chef. Good luck. I'm not questioning your motives, Tony's already assured us you have them.

I'm concerned about this as well. This kind of stuff fuels alot of pipe dreams. And, oh no! The attention of a national audience jumpstarting a career for someone with little or no experience into a job that absolutely requires experience. I'm sure the winner will immediately actively seek out or be sought out by publicists. It is TV afterall.

Then again PBS is still PBS. Maybe there is a foil I'm missing?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Yikes! I was asked by my alma matta, JWU, to participate in a phone message yesterday afternoon. The message said 'reality show-ish'. I had no idea it was to work for Todd English. I'll have to pass. Anyone else interested, I have a phone number?

So, chefreit, are you game for this huge undertaking?

Do update us here on all the particulars as they emerge!

UPDATE: Turns out, you have to be available to travel across the contry for 3 weeks. Does not mention who will pay your bills while you do this????

First of all! I work for a living, and I'm changing accounts next week.

Next, my dream job is not to work for TE. I'm very happy with my 5 days a week,

3 weeks vacation, home by 4pm, ect. I left the insanity of the A la Carte kitchen, for foodservice stability. I practice my passion in my own catering business now, for ME.

:wub::wub::wub:

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

UPDATE: Turns out, you have to be available to travel across the contry for 3 weeks. Does not mention who will pay your bills while you do this????

3 weeks vacation, home by 4pm, ect. I left the insanity of the A la Carte kitchen, for foodservice stability. I practice my passion in my own catering business now, for ME.

Did you read the bios on PBS? I can't work for someone who was voted by People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people. We'd bicker too much about who gets more time in front of the mirror. :raz:

Dean of Culinary Arts

Did you read the bios on PBS? I can't work for someone who was voted by People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people. We'd bicker too much about who gets more time in front of the mirror. :raz:

Yeah,

TE is just a little full of himself. Also on the very first IRON CHEF AMERICA, (this about 3/4 years ago) TE made a mockery of the show by putting sparklers in his crab torte.. He showed very little culinary ability, in my opinion.

I’m just not a fan of his___________ period……….. :hmmm:

Try to keep an open mind, those of you who are skeptical. This is not a vehicle for becoming a celebrity or humiliating contestants. The producers, I'm convinced, are committed to creating a kind of culinary show that hasn't been done before, a competition that really explores what it means to be a cook and a chef. They want young or even not young culinarians who are committed to pursuing a future in this business. It will cover all aspects of the biz, menu building, costing, organization, cooking under pressure. Certainly it's not for everybody. And yes, it's going to take some committment, some risk and sacrifice for a known goal. It will also be a great learning experience for the people chosen, to cook with some of the country's best chefs, and to travel to cool places, definitely an adventure. Auditions start today in Chicago, so I'm going to sign off and not say more, but I hope those of you who are interested will check it out.

Try to keep an open mind, those of you who are skeptical.  This is not a vehicle for becoming a celebrity or humiliating contestants.  The producers, I'm convinced, are committed to creating a kind of culinary show that hasn't been done before, a competition that really explores what it means to be a cook and a chef.  They want young or even not young culinarians who are committed to pursuing a future in this business. It will cover all aspects of the biz, menu building, costing, organization, cooking under pressure.  Certainly it's not for everybody.  And yes, it's going to take some committment, some risk and sacrifice for a known goal.  It will also be a great learning experience for the people chosen, to cook with some of the country's best chefs, and to travel to cool places, definitely an adventure.  Auditions start today in Chicago, so I'm going to sign off and not say more, but I hope those of you who are interested will check it out.

Michael,

Thank you so much for your feedback. You been a great help. I will be watching in hopes of something more then American Idol, with a saute station. However if this turns out to be the case, I have a feeling I know who will be playing behind that "Simon guy." I will say no more................................

Well, despite my comments above, MR's involvement in this program gives me a sense of confidence in its integrity.

The man is a pillar of it. A pillar, I tell you.

So let's just wait before tying the hangman's knot in our ropes, shall we? Thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I think most of the comments were more about taking a little jab at Chef Fabio, not about questioning the integrity of the show so much and certainly not questioning Michael's.

Dean of Culinary Arts

I think most of the comments were more about taking a little jab at Chef Fabio, not about questioning the integrity of the show so much and certainly not questioning Michael's.

Your a funny guy!

A funny guy, I tell you!

{I think, your a guy?} :blink:

I walked by the Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago located on Wabash Ave at lunch time, and on my way home after work today. This is where PBS had the "Cooking under Fire" interviews, next to the Institute's Culinary School. The location was street level with full clear windows, each passing I never saw more than 10 applicants in there. Even the taping room was located off the street where one can see into the video interview process.

Suits and whites. Lot's of camera crew.

wish them all the best. I'm looking forward to this show.

I could swear I read about Fox planning something almost identical with Gordon Ramsay a couple weeks ago.

Hell's Kitchen. But that is pure entertainment. The winner gets a $2,000,000.00 restaurant in Hollywood.

Dean of Culinary Arts

It's simple. If Todd English is a judge, all you have to do is prepare tiny amounts uber pretentious consumables, put them on very large plates with acres of empty space between them, and play connect the dots with the sauce of your choice.

You have completed an T.E. masterpiece.

Not to be confused with egullet veteran Ms. Ramsey

Webmaster, rivitman's daily axe:

My Webpage

Does anyone know when people will start getting calls back? I see that the deadline for mail-in applications is Friday...

any info? my friend applied and is eagerly/anxiously ( :blink: ) waiting.

thanks.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."