• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck fat, garlic, rosemary?

binkyboots

After having a wicked flu over christmas then my oven blowing up at new years I have a cupboard full of festive baking/cooking bits, including a tin of duck fat.

I vaguely thought it's be good in a bread, first thinking that I could just melt it and use it in place of olive oil, maybe infused with garlic and/or herbs. Then I wondered if there was a recipe that calls for it in the first place.

When I was thinking it through I was picturing some kind of flatbread, foccacia'ish perhaps... any ideas? perhaps it would in fact add nothing to the bread and is just another case of me trying to complicate things for no good reason, lol.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

just another case of me trying to complicate things for no good reason, lol.

How the hell else do good things happen? :) give it a go and see what happens.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Sounds like you need some chopped, sun-dried tomatos in there as well. I don't know if you can get semi-dried tomatos, I've heard they are an Australian thing, but that would be even better. I would chop the garlic/herbs finely and incorporate into the dough rather than infusing. You need fairly bold flavours otherwise it's just going to get blanded out.

PS: I am a guy.

Hey, this is just an idea that sprung on me once you sayed duck fat.  Maybe try raplcing 20% of the water with a port wine.  Port is great with duck flavor.

You'd have to increase the yeast quite a bit to overcome the effect of the alcohol on fermentation. Better to flame the port off first and then add to your normal water.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

After having a wicked flu over christmas then my oven blowing up at new years I have a cupboard full of festive baking/cooking bits, including a tin of duck fat.

I vaguely thought it's be good in a bread, first thinking that I could just melt it and use it in place of olive oil, maybe infused with garlic and/or herbs.  Then I wondered if there was a recipe that calls for it in the first place.

I've never tried making bread with duck fat but I have made croutons with duck fat and butter and they were really good. You can infuse the duck fat and butter with garlic and use a rosemary bread to get all your flavors.

I have done bread with rendered lamb fat. I didn't feel like waiting long for rise and proof, so i just made a quick flatbread. The lamb flavor came through great, along with herbal and pepper flavors from what the lamb was roasted with. I can't give you a recipe, because I just threw it together by look and feel. But I heavily recommend giving it a go if you haven't already.

Thank you guys!

The experimenting has started, rising in the kitchen I have a modified version of a nan bread recipe I've made before... it looks and smells promising!

For this one I didn't infuse the fat with anything, mostly because I wanted to know if, on its own, it gives a bad flavour or feel to the bread.

I shall report back in the morning!

If it feels ok I'm going to have a go at a sort of potato foccacia, I mean, rosemary, potatoes, bread, duck fat, where's the bad here!

Edited by binkyboots (log)

wierd al ~ spam

So, couple of days later and a very extended stay in the fridge later, the bread was really good :shock:

I was worried it would be claggy, but nope, it baked up just find, lots of spring and it had a very tender crumb, can't say I nnoticed any particular flavour, but all the same it was delicious.

More experimenting I think!

wierd al ~ spam