• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today (2005)

Ling

The perfect roundness of one Lindt-in-the-blue-foil, with its gentle collapse of shell, then the flowing of the rich dark sweetness, after a very salty, very smoky burger at one of those Yee-Haw seared-steak places. I came home seeking out the ice machine for a tall frosty glass of water, then some CHOCOLATE.

An Aunt Ruby's German Green heirloom tomato, peeled and cut up, with a smidge of minced garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, chopped fresh basil, sea salt and pepper. It was so good I immediately gave another one the same treatment. I'm eating it now...

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Been on vacation in Maine, so I have to make-up a few postings/days.

Lobster lasagna in Dijon mustard vin blanc. (my own)

Casco Bay mussels A la J's Oyster Bar, in Portland ( love that place)

Steamed Soft Shell Lobsta'

Lobsta' Bisque

Lobsta' & Corn Chowda' (the next day)

Whole Belly Clams

Chop Suey it's a Maine thing!

Red Hots

Moxie another Maine thing!

And upon return La Crème of the Cream a Cuban Sandwich at Jackie's Bakery in downtown Newark, NJ $3.50 for a lb of pure heaven on Cuban bread.

:wub:

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

white bean dip ...made with canned beans, clove of garlic, splash of balsamic, salt pepper, pesto, olive oil, parsley, oregano, cayenne and chopped tomatoes.......buzzed 3/4 of beans with the garlic etc....added the rest of the beans and tomatoes served on slabs of sesame italian bread toasted with some chicken....I gave the dog my chicken and had more beans

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Last night it was tandoori grilled lamb chops and sweet pepper and onion bruschetta at Devi in the Flatiron District. Yum!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Every time I visit my mother in New Hampshire, I bring 24 cans of Moxie back with me in my carry-on, and do my best to ration them (I can get it at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, but not every time). Every time, I get weird looks from security, but they ask what's in the bag, I say "24 cans of Moxie and a pound of pastrami," they pause and nod and wave me through.

My delicious thing today was licking the spoon from the pot of cajeta I made this morning.

Every time I visit my mother in New Hampshire, I bring 24 cans of Moxie back with me in my carry-on, and do my best to ration them (I can get it at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, but not every time). Every time, I get weird looks from security, but they ask what's in the bag, I say "24 cans of Moxie and a pound of pastrami," they pause and nod and wave me through.

My delicious thing today was licking the spoon from the pot of cajeta I made this morning.

Forgive me, what is moxie? I have no clue!

Forgive me, what is moxie?  I have no clue!

Oh, it's a soda -- sort of vaguely root beer or cola-like, or at least in that "brown soda" family. The most noticeable ingredient is the gentian root extract -- also used in bitters, and a shake of Peychaud's in Coca-Cola is my Moxie surrogate of choice -- which gives it a kind of medicinal taste, especially for people who aren't used to it.

It was popular back in the day, but soda fountains supposedly put a nail in its coffin from a national market standpoint: the company wouldn't make the syrup available because mixing it wrong would overplay the bitterness, and when fountains became a big part of the market, Moxie just couldn't compete with Coke, Dr Pepper, etc.

(I suspect it never would have been as popular as the others anyway, judging from how sweet other sodas tend to be.)

• 3 months later...

Spaghettti:

I've been experimenting with different chicken satays and peanut sauces... would you share your version?

Thanks!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

The very last piece of pumpkin pie! :sad:

It was made with the last of the organic gingerroot that a Swiss farmer grows locally and brings to the farmers market.

The pumpkin was baked and pureed on the morning of Thanksgiving.

Otherwise, the recipe was barely altered from the family's traditional one, down to evaporated milk from a can.

One piece of advice picked up from NPR this year: take the pie out of the oven when it is just about but not yet fully solid.

That evening after the pie had been left out to cool, the filling seemed a tad too soft. However, after refrigeration, the texture was utterly sublime. The best I have ever made, and honey, this is my favorite pie in the world and I am the queen of the pumpkins :wink: !

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Bumping up one of my favorite threads.

Today, tahu (tofu), hot and fresh out of the wok. 

Yetty, your picture is gorgeous!! Is the tahu simply deep-fried naked as in Red-Cooked Tofu or is this battered?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Ramen with steel cut oats and peas in a broth made from chicken thighs and garlic. Lots of garlic. Yes. Ramen. Me. I swear. Kiddle is home sick and had a craving.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06