• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today (2005)

Ling

Wow Yetty... I can smell those bao right through my computer screen! Especially since I haven't had breakfast yet.

Let's see.

Two days ago: sockeye salmon cakes.

Yesterday: potstickers doused in soy, sriracha and cane vinegar.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I have to amend yesterday's. At 11am, I posted with peanut butter toast. The white chocolate truffles (and I don't even like white chocolate) or the millenniumtorte made by Nick Malgieri in a demo class I was at far, far surpassed the damned toast.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

There's this farmer's market that sets up every Tuesday at the ferry landing in Coronado. I bought a couple of lbs of Clementine manderin oranges. Had one today that was the most juiciest and sweetest orange I've ever had. I had to stop was I was doing at my desk to finish it. There's nothing like good citrus in the morning for me.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

After 3 months off (traveling and just having a good old time lazying around :raz: ), I went back to work today. When I got to my desk a plate of fried goodies - fresh, hot out of the wok appeared - it seems my co-workers saw me come through the gate and scrambled to surprise me. (There is a street vendor right out front.) There were fried: bananas, slices of sweet potatoes, little triangles of stuffed tofu, but these tempe fritters were the best, most delicious things I ate today. And those little birdseye chilli peppers were the hottest things I wrapped my lips around! :blink:

gallery_11814_148_29869.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

A chocolate-covered salted cashew caramel from Garrison Confections. I ordered the seasonal collection and Valentine's collection -- they look promising, but the shipping ($25) to California makes ordering them prohibitive!

The chocolate came on the heels of buttered homemade pasta with shaved fresh Oregon black truffles.

Mooshmouse wasn't exaggerating when she raved about the Chocolate Ganache cake from "Pane from Heaven". I had my first taste of the cake this afternoon, and it is by far the most delicious thing that's passed my lips in the past week. The layer of ganache is smooth, bittersweet, and almost seamlessly melds with the moist cake on the bottom. :wub:

(I also sampled a mini chocolate tart and a chocolate cupcake, and while they were good, they could not possibly compare to the Chocolate Ganache cake!)

After 3 months off (traveling and just having a good old time lazying around  :raz: ), I went back to work today.  When I got to my desk a plate of fried goodies - fresh, hot out of the wok appeared - it seems my co-workers saw me come through the gate and  scrambled to surprise me.  (There is a street vendor right out front.)  There were fried:  bananas, slices of sweet potatoes, little triangles of stuffed tofu, but these tempe fritters were the best, most delicious things I ate today. And those little  birdseye chilli peppers were the hottest things I wrapped my lips around! :blink:

gallery_11814_148_29869.jpg

I'm not surprised your co-workers surprised you with that treat--you come across as such a sweet person! :smile: What is a "tempe fritter"? Slices of fried bananas are among my favourite sweets.

My wife being out of town means that I don't have the motivation to cook too fancy but tonite my thrown together simple dish was quite good.

I sauteed garlic, shallots, green olives, asparagas, and walnuts in olive oil and I added some of the single malt scotch I was drinking and rosemary to it at the last minute.

Not only did it look good but it tasted wonderful.

I think I'll have to add this to my 'list'.

I apologize I don't have pics (I need a new digital camera).

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Ling, tempe(h) is cultured, fermented soy beans, I hear they're good meat substitutes. Aren't some veggie burgers made with them (?), and TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein) is probably composed from tempe.

gallery_11814_148_6309.jpg

Anyhow, tempe fritters are thinly sliced tempe dipped in a savory batter then deep fried. I don't usually like tempe, but the fritters are really good.

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Well, I haven't had dinner yet---smothered pork chops, braised red cabbage, fried potatoes-- but I must say the Tender Crispy Chicken Sandwich at Burger King was an outstanding lunch -- fully as good as a Chick-fil-A. I tried the new cheddar/bacon/ranch dressing version with the additional calories versus the , er, classic version . I'll go for the classic version in future.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Two days ago: Cinnamon sugar yam fries. Officially one of my new favourite things! They were sliced almost matchstick size, wonderfully crisped on the outside with just a hint of softness once I bit into them. My girlfriend and I demolished an enormous pile of these in no time and I've been jonesing for more ever since.

Yesterday: A cappucino made with beans from Stumptown Roasting in Oregon.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

homemade date square … salty, sweet, and buttery :biggrin:

(but I hope this will be topped by pizza and mincemeat pies for supper tonight)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

The Dduk Bokki (Korean stir fried rice dumplings in hot sauce) complete with hard boiled egg and Odeng (fish cake) I had before doing my veggie shopping at the local Han Ah Rheum. Added some Odeng on a skewer in broth, and felt like I was eating from a cart in Seoul. Damn good stuff.

It was really cold and rainy yesterday with winds and general chill from the mountains so lucky

I'd planned to make breaded pork chops with maple/bourbon/pepper pan gravy with mashed

potatoes and brussel sprouts. Our friends came over and had made a luscious loaf of bread to

go with it. We'd made a ginger carrot soup as well but that didn't make it to the mix so today

I warmed some up and it was so DELICIOUS, as I write the leftover porkchops and gravy are

re-heating for lunch. I sent our friends home with enough for a meal today as well so maybe

it's in their oven as I write! :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Yesterday - The arancini from Adesso ... seriously the nicest appetizer I've had in a long time!

A.

Must.eat.this.tomorrow!

Today: I sneakily stole all the crispy skin off my brother's Church's chicken. Shhhh.....I put the naked piece of chicken back in the fridge. :wink:

two days ago: the complimentary 44 North vodka my table got (nice huckleberry sweetness)

yesterday: this wonderful eggplant miso appetizer I had at a place on Park Ave South

eggplant steaks covered in a thick sweet miso glaze, and the inside of the eggplant was so startlingly white, like the color of white fish, and tender (how do they do this?)

today: white lotus mooncake and mini eclair from Tan Dai bakery in Chinatown