• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today (2005)

Ling

Yesterday: A dessert-sized portion of Gaufre de Liege. Beautiful Belgian waffle with warm chocolate, blueberry compote and vanilla ice cream. That little bit of crunch from the pearl sugar. Delicious in its simplicity.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Salsa Mexicana, pico de gallo, whatever you call it wherever you are, at a taqueria just up the street from me. The salsa should have been bad considering tomatoes are out of season but it put a smile on my face instead.

Had a rather boring food day....so the most delicious thing would probably be my Americano from the Elysian Room (in Vancouver).

is this a sandwich?like a hoagie?

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Had a rather boring food day....so the most delicious thing would probably be my Americano from the Elysian Room (in Vancouver).

No, it's like an espresso with hot water, I believe. It's about as strong as coffee.

No, it's like an espresso with hot water, I believe. It's about as strong as coffee.

I thought you meant the alcoholic version. :smile:

(nice drink by the way when you want something a little lighter...)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I thought you meant the alcoholic version:smile:

(nice drink by the way when  you want something a little lighter...)

That's just an ounce of gin away from a Negroni! What? Americans don't like gin? :blink:

Best thing today? Omlette made with some herb-butter I made over the weekend. A couple shaves of parm and a Perrier and that was lunch!

Could have used a Negroni though ....

A.

I thought you meant the alcoholic version:smile:

(nice drink by the way when  you want something a little lighter...)

That's just an ounce of gin away from a Negroni! What? Americans don't like gin? :blink:

Best thing today? Omlette made with some herb-butter I made over the weekend. A couple shaves of parm and a Perrier and that was lunch!

Could have used a Negroni though ....

A.

Hmmm... good idea, maybe I'll make a Negroni. That will be my tastiest treat today.:smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Today, the hamburger I had for dinner. No, it was the Usinger hot dog I had for dinner.

Yesterday, the Pad Thai from a newly discovered Thai restaurant.

The day before, a Frosty from Wendy's.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This morning, it was my mom's steamed, then pan-fried daikon "cake" (with loads of Chinese sausage, dried shrimp, shiitake, etc.) a.k.a. "lo bak go"

Tonight it will be the beer-braised shortribs with blue cheese polenta. No, I haven't eaten it yet--but I just know it will be great!

Yesterday - Some kick-ass beer and cheese soup I made.

Today - breakfast of liverwurst and eggs. Liverwurst pan fried with onions is truly wonderful, a great way to start the day.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Leftover smothered chicken I made from 'The New Low-Country Cooking'.

One of the best chicken recipes I've ever eaten. :wub:

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

Since I have only had so far cheese doodles, a couple of beers. two margaritas, and a proscuitto pizza using the Bread Bakers Apprentice cookbook: I am going to have to go with the pizza... But i have planned for dinner very good things.. Smoking two turkey breasts wrapped in bacon, two racks of baby backs, making lobster mac and cheese from epicurious, as well as cesar salad, smoked gouda mashed potatoes from foodnetwork, and the pot de cremes from Luscious Chocolate Desserts.. So, i pray my most delicious thing hasnt happened yet. :biggrin: But basically we live in the city during the week and come out to the country during the weekend.. So I am hoping the turkey will last the week for sandwiches, while the lobster mac and cheese is "dinner". But i think a bit of everything will be eaten tonight. But there is two of us and a four year old. So lets hope she like one thing. :biggrin:

Hopefully this will be picture worthy.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Ling, would your mom share her recipe -- or generally how she does it -- for the "cake" with you, and you share it with us?  That sounds just too good.

Sure, I will ask her but she never uses a recipe and all measurements are approximate. I'll PM you with what she says in the next few days, OK? :smile:

Ling, would your mom share her recipe -- or generally how she does it -- for the "cake" with you, and you share it with us?  That sounds just too good.

Sure, I will ask her but she never uses a recipe and all measurements are approximate. I'll PM you with what she says in the next few days, OK? :smile:

Yes. Thank you very much! :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This morning, it was my mom's steamed, then pan-fried daikon "cake" (with loads of Chinese sausage, dried shrimp, shiitake, etc.) a.k.a. "lo bak go"

Lucky you! I know what this is, and haven't had a good one since the last trip to Taiwan. Wei-chuan's Taiwanese cookbook has a recipe for it, but it's not quite on.

I'm going to sit here and eat another nice navel orange to forget that roofing tile at breakfast.