• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When bad things happen to good Chefs

nwyles

Just a bit of news to keep you up to speed

Our very own Chef ( Brian ) Fowke is now a residential refugee. After the Whiskey and Cheese the other night, he was evecuated from his home. He ( and his wife ) are one of the twenty families who still cannot enter their homes after the fatal landslide in North Vancouver. Brian is in good spirits and is now "shacking up" at the Holiday Inn in North Vancouver. They are experiencing some difficulties but nothing too major. The Federal and Provincial Governments have kicked into action and things seem to be taken care of. It has been interesting talking to Brian over the last couple of days - dumped out on the street, no socks, just coats etc. - not really having the Disaster suitcase packed at the door ready all the time.

I thought of making light of the situation - Chefs need special treatment like Europeon Bottled water, First Press extra virgin olive Oil, only Imported wine not domestic but as there was loss of life and people are out on the street and not able to return to their homes I thought better of it.

Kudos to Brian for being quick on his feet ( sans socks ! ) - he had the dog in the kennel and the Hotel room booked right away.

I hope that they will be able to return to normal lives as soon as possible.

This will make for interesting dinner chat on Sunday.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I was over in that part of North Van yesterday. What an incredibly tragic incident. My thoughts are with those who have lost a family member and those that have been temporarily (hopefully) displaced. It's amazing the wrath that Mother nature has unleashed on us this week.

Derek

Chef Fowke,

What awful news! :shock:

If you need anything (a pint, a meal, pajamas, whiskey, storybooks, whiskey, etc...), let me know because i'm close by.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything.

Best of luck for a speedy return home to a dry house!

Andrew

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

This is terrible but I'm glad to hear that he and his family are safe.

A few years back when the earthquake hit south of Seattle, our home was only a few miles from the epicenter. Quite the experience seeing the walls in our house become like rubber. Anyway, since then i've thought it's always a good idea to have a Survival pack ready in case of a quick evacuation.

Here's a good website that I have ordered quite a few things from: http://www.bepreparedathome.com/

Haven't tried the MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat), but it makes me feel a bit more secure if there was a disaster we wouldn't be scrambling for supplies.

I've found that expecially living in a metropolitan area that most people are not ready for disasters. Chef Fowke sounds like he was definetly on the ball taking care of his family and pets. Hopefully other people will consider preparing themselves better before unlikely events happen.

I will pass along all of your good wishes to Brain and Kathy.

Thank you for using PM"S to send these messages as we would not want the board to be clogged with "chat"

I will pass on messages from those of you who have offered to give room and board to the dog. I sure he would appreciate that.

I will not tell him about those of you who were willing to take in his lovely wife. Brian was not injured and would have something to say about that :biggrin::biggrin:

If there needs to be an emergency wine cellar restock - I will let you know how much and which vintages in particular.

If there needs to be an airdrop of foie gras, balsamic vinegar and clarified butter, I will pass on details.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Haven't tried the MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat), but it makes me feel a bit more secure if there was a disaster we wouldn't be scrambling for supplies.

I too haven't tried the MRE's, but apparently these were served to the US Forces in the first Iraq war and the consensus was that MRE didn't stand for "Meals Ready to Eat", but rather for "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians". Personally, I'd probably go for packets of Ichiban - but then I like eating the noodles uncooked (appears to be the week for embarrassing food admissions).

Chef Fowke - hope things are okay - I heard on the news this morning that they expected things to be stabilized soon - hope you found somewhere for the dog!

• 2 weeks later...

Three meals a day at the Pantry. You lucky guy. Tell us about it. What sort of bottle water did they have ? How was the Olive oil. :biggrin:

Crap, I could so go for a Monte Cristo sandwich right now. I was so jealous of 24 hour room service !

Glad that you are home. How did the dog fare. Happy to see you again ?

Cheers

N

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill