• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ardeo

Carlson1105

Does anyone know anything about Ardeo on Connecticut Ave.?

I've only been there once; I think it was last Oct/Nov. We had a nice meal, but haven't been motivated to go back. I recall having roasted cod, which was good, but don't remember the accompaniments nor the appetizer that preceeded it. Service was attentive and efficient. Had a reasonably priced bottle of Burgundy. It's relatively quiet, so that you can carry on a conversation. No disappointments, an enjoyable evening, but I felt that for the same or less money I would prefer to have visited one of my regular haunts, where the food is as good and the atmosphere a touch livelier.

Ardeo web site

http://www.ardeorestaurant.com

Tom's review

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...ype=restaurants

Edited by Crabby (log)

I like Ardeo's brunch as a nice mid-price alternative - it falls somewhere in the middle between very, very lowbrow (e.g., Texas Toast at Austin Grill) and very expensive (e.g., champagne brunch at the Four Seasons or similar).

Plus last time I was there I saw Greta van Susteren and Senator Joe Lieberman (separately). Some people (yes, me occasionally) are impressed by these things.

Hard to make a recommendation without knowing more about your SO's tastes, your budget, etc.

I didn't mean in any way to discourage you from going to Ardeo; their menu is appealing, the food preparation is very good, and I'm sure you would have a nice time there. What did Tom S. give it, 2 stars? That seems right to me.

An example of a place in the same price range, with food that is as good or better (most on this forum would say "better"), and a bit of a buzz in the room, is Firefly (www.firefly-dc.com). If you want something livelier than that, you'll need to solicit recommendations from one of the younger, hipper members of the forum :wink:

Hard to make a recommendation without knowing more about your SO's tastes,  your budget, etc.

I didn't mean in any way to discourage you from going to Ardeo; their menu is appealing, the food preparation is very good, and I'm sure you would have a nice time there.  What did Tom S. give it, 2 stars?  That seems right to me.

An example of a place in the same price range, with food that is as good or better (most on this forum would say "better"), and a bit of a buzz in the room, is Firefly  (www.firefly-dc.com).  If you want something livelier than that, you'll need to solicit recommendations from one of the younger, hipper members of the forum  :wink:

Was in town last month and went to Firefly and Mendocino. Enjoyed them both, Firefly a little moreso. Looking for more of that type of place. Thanks!

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.

I've always been impressed with Ardeo. The service is excellent and the food is creative and served to almost perfection. I always felt that Ardeo has been a little underrate.

Besides, any place that serves Mighty Leaf tea is alright in my book.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.