• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Melting Pot

Monica Bhide

A group of my friends are headed to the Melting Pot in Arlington next week and were asking if I knew how it was. I have never eaten there but heard very good things

Has anyone here tried it? Can you share ?

Thanks

There's been a couple threads on this place.

The Melting Pot, Westwood (NJ)

and

The Melting Pot in Irvine (CA). Ever been?, Anyone been?

Not the exact location you inquired about, but results may be similar.

This chain has been expanding quite rapidly lately.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

I went to the one off Route 66, I guess it's in the Ballston area. It's a fun experience if you are with a group of friends, but sort of in a I've done that once and that's was enough kind of way. you get a very ordinary salad, and if I remember right three different fondue stylings (but don't quote me on this)....one for veggies, one for meats, and finally dessert (which is chocolate fondue)...obviously the chocolate fondu is the best part. As stated above it's a fun and different meal, but by no means earth shattering

This is inspiring me to do an Indian inspired fondue at home this weekend... hmmmmmmm

Mmmmm - what would this consist of? I don't know a lot about Indian food but love trying anything new - please elaborate.

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

I know some young folks who love it. It is about $40 per person is what I am told. Anyone tried any of the other local branches?

My wife and I have been to the one in Reston several times, and have always found it a highly enjoyable experience. They have package deals which provide a cheese fondue course, a salad, and a main fondue course, designed for 2 people. There's also a "Big Night Out" selection which adds a chocolate fondue. Or you can order each individually and pick and choose as you like.

There are 4 different cheese fondues to choose from, 4 different main-course fondue styles (Court boullion, coq au vin, and fondue bourguignonne, and "mojo fondue"), and 9 different chocolate fondues.

The cheese fondues come with a variety of breads, apples, and veggies.

The main dishes come with a variety of mixed meats and/or veggies, along with sauces to complement the selection. An example would be the "Pacific Rim," which is what my wife and I usually get when we go there (it's one of the "Dinner for Two" options). It comes with:

Teriyaki marinated choice sirloin, shrimp, peppered pork tenderloin, marinated breast of duck, boneless breast of chicken, and potstickers.

Sauces: Thai Peanut, Teriyaki Glaze, Ginger Plum.

The chocolate fondues come with fruits, marshmallows, and crackers.

The ingredients are always high quality, the service is friendly and efficient, and we always have a good time when we go. My only real complaint with the place is that they, like most upscale restaurants, have obviously put a lot of thought into their wine selection, but their beer selection is ass.

Their California salad (mixed baby greens with gorgonzola, walnuts, and rasberry vinagrette dressing) ALMOST makes up for the paltry selection of beers, though. Almost. (It's a damn good salad.)

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

I know some young folks who love it. It is about $40 per person is what I am told. Anyone tried any of the other local branches?

I've been to the one in Rockville a couple times, although not recently. It's at Rockville Pike and Rollins Ave, near the TGI Fridays and Benegans. Although I have heard they may be moving to a spot behind the CompUSA in the neighboring shopping center, which would put it on E Jefferson St. I believe.

It's a quiet and dimly lit place, and I'd say more apt for a romantic dinner then for "girls night out", even though they have booths that seat 6. If it's fondue you're after, it will be fine. If it's a good meal your are after, there are plenty of other places to take your $30-50/person.

The only thing I remember about the food was the raspberry vinaigrette on the salad; it was super sweet, and no way I'd chose that again. Oh, and the server told us which combination of sauces tasted good together.

Like others have said, I prefer my fondue at home.

I have been to both the one in Ballston and Washington DC (19th Street). It is a fun gathering for a group, but not an every week type of place. The fondue is not bad, and there is a large enough choice to please anyone. The service has always been attentive.

The downtown location is much nicer than Ballston - more modern and not quite as dark. If you are in one of the back rooms in Ballston, you may feel you are in Siberia.

Don't wear your favorite coat that night. From my experience, it's like being in a smoky bar, except instead of Marlboros you end up with essence feet-smelling cheese. Your coat will absorb the fumes like Bounty, which may render it unwearable for a period of time.

We went to one in Florida for a holiday meal with relatives. Found it underwhelming and incredibly overpriced. Wouldn't go back. We prefer to make fondue at home. Still, the chain seems to be fairly successful so my opinion may be in the minority.

Found it underwhelming and incredibly overpriced.  Wouldn't go back.  We prefer to make fondue at home.  Still, the chain seems to be fairly successful so my opinion may be in the minority.

Ditto.

There's a somewhat new one in Annapolis I have heard ok things about. I've been to the one in Rockville a handful of times over the years (it's been there for AGES). The last 3 times was actually because of my daughter who was attending birthday parties there... it's big with the tweens and teen girls. :sad:

One thing I must say though, they do update their offerings, trying to keep up with the current food trends (mojo, pacific rim, etc.). It used to be that all they had was cheese, boullion, and chocolate. They have come a long way, baby.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Don't wear your favorite coat that night.  From my experience, it's like being in a smoky bar, except instead of Marlboros you end up with essence feet-smelling cheese.  Your coat will absorb the fumes like Bounty, which may render it unwearable for a period of time.

Yeah there's a certain oiliness to the Dupont Melting Pot. I don't know if they're all like that or if it has something to do with the subterranean location.

I've only been to that particular fondue place once and it satisfied my curiosity. I liked the cheese, liked the dessert fondue too, but could definitely do without that whole middle course.

And the stuff ain't cheap for a DIY meal. I'd rather spend my $40-55 (depending on how many people, how many courses, etc.) on a meal cooked for me instead of one cooked by me.

Seriously, Monica, I'm fairly certain that anything you cook up would far outshine The Melting Pot. :smile:

The Melting Pot is a fun place if you're going with friends. Better food can be had elsewhere (I'm thinking about the salad and main courses), but the whole skewer-and-dip thing is very fun. Though if you have a fondue set-up at home, I'd say just stay home!

The best courses are the cheese course and the dessert course -- though I'd steer away from the cheddar and beer fondue. The main courses are trendy without actual tastiness and heavy to boot, and are best avoided.

What personally squicks me out the most is the hideously officious service that I always seem to get at these places.

I've been to the Melting Pot in Arlington quite recently, kind of against my will. It's not bad, but....

Um. You know what? Scratch that. It is bad. Really. There's nothing there you can't do better at home, and for far less money. Paying for night out during which I'm expected to cook my own food in someone else's heavy, greasy, tasteless goo is not my idea of fun.

The Melting Pot is an "experience," one, apparently, you can't avoid if you live in this area long enough, and, with the right friends, it's a fun enough time, I guess, but if it's good food you're after, ignore the peer pressure and do your own fondue.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Oh I love it too, but I really don't think the Melting Pot could do it right!

half_raclette.jpg

Never been there...  but I am wondering, do they serve another melted cheese dish called "Raclette"?

No No No! and if they did I would avoid it.

Why? I love raclette - better than fondue.