• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

slow cooked Indian recipes

Monica Bhide

Well, it is supposed to snow this weekend keeping people here indoors :smile: Suggestions for slow cooked recipes from your grandmothers kitchen.

We are doing a dal makhani - generally I let this simmer for about 8 hours - mostly unattended and its worth it.

What are you cooking up?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Nothing slow cooked this weekend. Though I will be thawing a mutton keema (minced goat meat spicy dry curry) that I slow cooked about a month back and froze the leftovers.

Planning on some Lobhia (black eyed peas) this weekend and bake some Tandoori methi paranthas.

What a coincidence Monica, had planned for medley of slow cooked (braised) mushrooms to go with khichdi for this sunday. Its the jucies that they release, thats where the flavor is, with a hunt of homemade garam masala. Khichdi is a good accompaniment to me as it acts very neutral side. The texture compliments perfectly and brings out the garam masala. Ofcourse a good Red Burgundy is needed to complete the package. :raz:

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

I am sure Monica will share her Dal Makhani recipe. In the meantime, here is a link of Dal Makhani recipe that will come out very well.

Click here

We make it the almost the same way, though we do not use the curd (yogurt) and add the cream towards the end.

Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it is supposed to snow this weekend keeping people here indoors  :smile:  Suggestions for slow cooked recipes from your grandmothers kitchen.

We are doing a dal makhani - generally I let this simmer for about 8 hours - mostly unattended and its worth it.

What are you cooking up?

Hi...I'm new here and I noticed you mentioned dal makhani. I recently took my first trip to India and had the yummiest dal makhani (amongst many, many, many yummy things) and I'd very much like to try making it myself. I've been unsuccessful in finding a recipe that seems authentic (they don't call for the marathon simmering) by doing a google search. I was wondering if you could be so very kind and let me know a recipe for it? You'd make someone very happy if you could!

Well, it is supposed to snow this weekend keeping people here indoors  :smile:  Suggestions for slow cooked recipes from your grandmothers kitchen.

What are you cooking up?

Hi...I'm new here and I noticed you mentioned dal makhani. I recently took my first trip to India and had the yummiest dal makhani (amongst many, many, many yummy things) and I'd very much like to try making it myself. I've been unsuccessful in finding a recipe that seems authentic (they don't call for the marathon simmering) by doing a google search. I was wondering if you could be so very kind and let me know a recipe for it? You'd make someone very happy if you could!

Randalle,

In this very thread, just a few posts above, I have provided a link for the recipe of Dal Makhani. Let us know how it goes..