• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Haunted by Julia... Oh Julia, Julia, Julia...

chefzadi

Very well written and relevant; unfortunately the reality is SHE INSPIRED Jacques Pépin and other great Chefs of the world and pioneered French cooking into the modern world (and to the USA/Canada)...

I was under the impression from his memoir that Jacques had been cooking long before he met Julia.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Jingoism. You say,

"spread-eagleism"

Paradigm. You say,

The formally-defined term groupthink

You also said,

culinary world is controlled by the money and the desires of the population in America
As a Canadian

It figures a Canadian would say this. :raz:

I believe the USA controls all new trends in food and fashion;

Escoffier?

With the help and support of Jacques Pepin (La Methode, La Technique...the turning point in international acceptance of French techniques)

Because he realized that the very term he had coined had been appropriated by others to take one new meanings.

Kuhn himself came to prefer the terms exemplar and normal science, which have more exact philosophical meaning

But you already know that.

For linguistic purposes, Ferdinand de Saussure used paradigm to refer to a class of elements with similarities.

I can only discuss Foucault seriously when I've been taking mind altering drugs.

Michel Foucault used the terms episteme and discourse, mathesis and taxinomia, for aspects of a "paradigm" in Kuhn's original sense. Read more about this in the paradigm shift, sociology of knowledge and philosophy of science articles, where these words are placed in context.

Wiki what? WTF? You researched this stuff on Wiki? Silly me, I actually bothered to read those writers you mentioned.

reference: Wikipedia

Anyway Cubi, it's been fun. But we are getting way off topic now.

Back on topic. I take it all back. If it weren't for Julia I'd be starving in a third world country.