• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Days 6-10; April 8-12:

Fat Guy

I used to live in Biloxi, and always thought Jennifer D. was charming.

One of the best meals anywhere is a Biloxi-style shrimp po-boy, a cup of gumbo and a cold Barq's root beer.

The bread they use for po-boys in Biloxi is softer than the baguette-style bread found in New Orleans and other places, and many restaurants use a press to flatten the sandwiches.

Alas, there are few places where you can still get one of these unique delicacies. A few places where you can are Mary Mahoney's, McElroy's Harbor House and Mary's Drive-Inn.

Thanks for the memories!

• 3 weeks later...

I am now very homesick. Having grown up around P'cola, I used to think

that all restaurants were like Mrs. Hopkins. Dining at Jackson's is great.

Chef Miller, I have known him since he worked in Destin, has a wonderful

way with food. Another personal favorite restaurant in Pensacola is McGuires, they let you have fun with dinner. The beaches are the best. The museum at the Pensacola Navy base is fascinating. Just up the highway from Orange Beach, Al is the town of Fairhope. A very unexpected

artists colony. And between Foley and the Florida State line is a little dairy

called 'Sweet Home Farm'. They make their own cheeses, pretty good stuff. One of my favorite times to return home is in November for the

Greater Gulf Coast Arts Festival held every year in Seville Square historical

district of Pensacola. I will start planning my trip now. Thanks for bringing

back good memories of a special place.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...