• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nasty Little Habits

chefreit

Isn't it time to sing that 1976 Larry Groce song "Junk Food Junkie"??

In the daytime I'm Mr. Natural

Just as healthy as I can be

But at night I'm a junk food junkie

Good lord have pity on me

In 'n Out Burgers' Double-Double Combo

Appetizer platter at Claimjumper's (Buffalo wings, onion rings, fried zucchinis, fried mozzarella, potato skins, and Southwest eggrolls with dipping sauces; I only do this when I'm with a group, honest :rolleyes: )

Onion rings (They must be all right since they're served at all the fine steakhouses, right?? :unsure: )

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Isn't it time to sing that 1976 Larry Groce song  "Junk Food Junkie"??

Appetizer platter at Claimjumper's (Buffalo wings, onion rings, fried zucchinis, fried mozzarella, potato skins, and Southwest eggrolls with dipping sauces; I only do this when I'm with a group, honest  :rolleyes: )

Onion rings (They must be all right since they're served at all the fine steakhouses, right??  :unsure: )

RJ,

I think I remember this song, was he a christen singer? :shock:

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

<snip>

Arby's Roast Beef is another one of my favorites, with about 3 packets of Arby sauce on it!

</snip>

Shannon

:shock: Forget to mention my all-time favorite, the Jamocha shake! YUM! With a beef 'n' cheddar sandwich on the delicious onion roll. :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I don't know that I've ever been this honest with anyone before. Please be kind.

I love:

McD's fries.

Popeye's spicy chicken, and their biscuits with butter & honey, or even margarine & honey if that's all I can get my hands on.

Hagen Daazs Vanilla Swiss Almond ice cream.

Breyer's neapolitan ice cream.

Pepperidge Farm Bordeaux cookies.

Okay, I can do this. (Summoning up courage here.) I love the funnel cakes at the state fair and the local festivals. With powdered sugar or with the creamy topping.

I used to love:

Cinnamon raisin biscuits at Hardee's. All of our Hardee's are gone. I don't even know if they still make them.

At a now-defunct chain called Grandy's: the cinnamon rolls and the scrambled eggs were wonderful. The rolls were bathed in melted butter, and the eggs were incredibly creamy. It was worth every cent and every pound.

:wacko: and those little cups of ice-cream style desert with a swirl of strawberry/red coloured stuff and their own wooden spoon built in..once and a while - if I am buying them for kids anyway - I'll buy one for me too :unsure:

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I always wonder if I'd actually LIKE wet dogfood because I actually enjoy canned Hormel chili as well as our supermarket brand chili (Stompin' Ranch Chili from Genuardi's in PA). My other nasty food habit are the honey butter biscuits from Church's chicken. It's like a biscuit with a candy coating. Deelicious.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

:wacko: and those little cups of ice-cream style desert with a swirl of strawberry/red coloured stuff and their own wooden spoon built in..once and a while - if I am buying them for kids anyway - I'll buy one for me too :unsure:

I was a camp counselor one summer. A factor in taking the job were dixie cups for snack each afternoon. But I like the vanilla and chocolate ones, not the strawberry.

Nathan's french fries. I like the hot dogs too, but mostly they are just the cover to call it a meal and eat the fries.

Isn't it time to sing that 1976 Larry Groce song  "Junk Food Junkie"??

Appetizer platter at Claimjumper's (Buffalo wings, onion rings, fried zucchinis, fried mozzarella, potato skins, and Southwest eggrolls with dipping sauces; I only do this when I'm with a group, honest  :rolleyes: )

Onion rings (They must be all right since they're served at all the fine steakhouses, right??  :unsure: )

RJ,

I think I remember this song, was he a christen singer? :shock:

chefreit,

You're probably thinking of Larry Norman. Larry Groce was born and raised in Dallas, influenced by commercial folk music. He did some children's recordings for Disney. His hit song "Junk Food Junkie" brought him an avalanche of press coverage.

Here are the entire lyrics to "Junk Food Junkie."

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I always wonder if I'd actually LIKE wet dogfood because I actually enjoy canned Hormel chili as well as our supermarket brand chili (Stompin' Ranch Chili from Genuardi's in PA).  My other nasty food habit are the honey butter biscuits from Church's chicken.  It's like a biscuit with a candy coating. Deelicious.

once on a camping trip, my one and only camping trip, someone made canned corned beef hash. it had teeny micro diced potatoes. they melted a stick of salted butter into a pan dumped in the hash added about 2 tablespoons of black pepper and fried it til it was crispy on the edges.

:wub: i had no idea :sad: and i am hoping and praying it was only so good because of the camping - and so i won't eat it again-but what if it's good anytime!!! sure looked like pooch chow to me though.

I'm not sure if this counts but, room temperature condiments-before they go in the fridge - like picalilly, salsa, cranberry preserves, compotes and such.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Ball park concession stand Fritos pies, made in the bag with fake chili and that horrible naco cheese from an industrial size can. Eat with a spoon - yum!

About once a year, if I am alone in the office I just HAVE to have a big greasy plate of Church's fried chicken, fake mashed potatoes and gravy. Of course I have to get the whole pickled jalapenos to squeeze over the chicken. I am always miserable for the rest of the day, but I can't help myself sometimes.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Oh no...if we're really confessing, I just read something upthread that reminded me of one of my worst indulgences.

I sometimes have to drive to PA from NYC for friend or family occasions (like a late Christmas at my Aunt's house). I don't know about your family, but in my family "dinner" is usually between 2 and 4. Father and stepmother leave, then the sister, then my aunt begs me to hang out and I end up finally seeing "Elf" and not leaving PA until 9 or 10 at night. I haven't eaten since 4:30-5:00 pm. They must be fasting.

And I just couldn't make it home. There was a Popeye's sign going one way on the NJ TPK but it turned out to be a Roy Rogers, and I just can't resist the bacon cheeseburger. With ketchup AND horseradish sauce AND the bbq stuff. I mean, come on, it's all there! And it's always disgusting (because of the warmed over burgers, not the taste combination), and I always pretend I'm a little kid again and just thought of this. It gets me by.

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Please add to my list of narsty food habits - a love of fake mashed potatoes. Good lord I love me some rehydrated mashed potatoes. I also love McDonalds apple pies as well as their McRib.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Oh where to begin.....

McDonalds - fries

Burger King - Angus Burger

Arby's - Arby Q, they don't offer this on the menu anymore :sad:

Taco Bell - Chicken quesadillas, chicken soft tacos

Subway - BMT

KFC- Popcorn chicken

Popeyes- Chicken or red beans & rice

Hardees - Thickburger

Dennys- Moons Over My Hammy. Haven't had this in years.

Anything from Chick Fil A.

The spicy Jamaican beef patties or chili cheese hot dogs from 7-11. Especially good in the wee hours of the morning after leaving the clubs/bars.

Ramen noodles, drained of all water, tossed with butter & seasoning packet. Coat with hot sauce. MMMMMM.

I am a chip junkie. Love chips. Especially Zapps, Dirty Chips and Gibbles Red Hot Chips. I cannot stop eating Herrs Red Hot Cheese Curls or Hot Cheetos once the bag is open.

I also have a compulsion to visit the totally inauthentic Chinese Buffet place at least once a month for fried wontons coated with Generals Tso sauce. Orange, sweet, gloppy & delicious !

I don't eat at these places that often but when a craving hits it must be answered ! :laugh: And looking at this list I am thinking to myself omigod, I am suprised I don't weigh a ton !! But all things in moderation right ?

Today is going to be one of those days.....

My confession:

1- Does anyone know of "Golden Skillet"?  (Haven't seen one in years - couldn't pass up the chicken livers).

2 - Haven't heard of chicken livers at Popeyes  :sad: .  My  downfall - they're building a Popeyes w/in 3 miles of me - love that 'Cajun Spice'  :smile:

3 - Quiznos - the spicy Italian  - and the Peppa Bar (where's that commercial with the animals - what were they - rats!?!

I forget how she found out, but my sister checked out those weird little critters on the Quizno's ads-- they're called spong monkeys. And that's all I remember about it-- been a while since she checked them out, and haven't seen those ads lately anyway! Let's see.... and while I'm in the confessional, yep, I do like those RL biscuits too. I do like Egg McMuffins and the hash browns. Just can't take the McD burgers though..... I'll add more shameful snacks as I think of them.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Late-nite Jack in the Box: My husband and I will each get a sourdough burger and the two skeevy tacos for .99, and then out of consideration sleep in different rooms. I've grogged up after one of these meals to get the pepto and seen our dog stagger out from under the master bed and hurl herself at the back door, as if another second with our flatulence would prove fatal.

crunchy taco supreme no leetuce from taco bell extra sour cream

whopper no lettuce burger king

popeye's chicken wings and biscuits

whitecastlewhitecastlewhitecastle

dominoes pizza with beef, onion and pineapple (I live in nyc,t he best pizza in the world) I consider dominoes a totally different food then pizza. some sort of quickly delivered saucy meat cheezy bread.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Papa John's cheese sticks.

And, oh, hell, I love Panera/St.Louis Bread Co., in all their mass-produced carb glory. Especially the cobblestones--sweet enough to melt the enamel off your teeth.

OK - here's mine...

The biscuits at Red Lobster - I don't know why or how, but these are soooo good.

Kentucky Fried Chicken - Once a year or so I succumb to the power of KFC. So crispy, so greasy, so good!

Poutine - Again, only once or twice a year, but so good when do break down and order it!

I had forgotten a few things.

Like frozen Milky Way candy bars. Worth spending $ at the dentist to keep my crowns in shape so that I can eat them.

My other indulgence: Stop at the grocery salad bar for a small container of iceberg lettuce. Used to be able to get it at McDonald's, but they've gone upscale on me and are serving fancier stuff these days. Has to be iceberg. Then go to Sonic, order a Frito Chili Pie, and dump it on the lettuce and eat. In the summer, this concoction MUST be accompanied by a cherry limeade, easy on the cherry.

Yuuum.

I also stopped at Arby's yesterday on my lunch hour and ordered one of their Market Fresh Chicken Salad Sandwiches. Not bad, for fast food. It won't become an addiction, but it's nice to know it's out there when I want something fast and not fried. At 770 calories, it's not extremely healthy, but the fat content is better than some things, and it does have 9 grams of fiber.

The spicy Jamaican beef patties or chili cheese hot dogs from 7-11. Especially good in the wee hours of the morning after leaving the clubs/bars.

Ramen noodles, drained of all water, tossed with butter & seasoning packet. Coat with hot sauce. MMMMMM.

I am a chip junkie. Love chips. Especially Zapps, Dirty Chips and Gibbles Red Hot Chips. I cannot stop eating Herrs Red Hot Cheese Curls or Hot Cheetos once the bag is open.

I love Jamaican meat patties too, but 7-Eleven's don't float my boat. I usually wait for the Penn Relays and hit one of about a dozen Caribbean food vendors who set up outside the stadium.

I'll have to try that ramen-noodle suggestion. In exchange, may I suggest hot sauce on cottage cheese, a bizarre little passion of mine? (Texas Pete and Frank's RedHot work best.)

I forgot about Herr's Hot Cheese Curls, the Devil's own gift to junk-food lovers. I can't open a bag of these without emptying it in one sitting either.

As for chips, I prefer mine light and not too salty (Utz) or hearty and well seasoned (Kettle Chips), but if Good's were available down here, I'd eat lots of those as well.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3