• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nasty Little Habits

chefreit

My oh my, never in my life have I heard of poutine and now I want to try it very, very much.  :wub:

Poutine is truly a gift from the gods. Picture a mountain of french fries, nice and greasy, covered in rich gravey (I've seen it as pork, beef, and chicken, depends where you get it), and either loads of cheese curds, goat cheese, or any cheese that melts well. Truly one of the best ways to enjoy fries.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

BK has always been my fast food whorehouse of choice. The Bacon Double Cheeseburger should be shut down by the FDA, and I have a passionate attachment to the newish Crispy Chicken Sandwich. But the McDonald's Bacon cheese and egg biscuit beats a Croissandwich every time.

I preserve my tattered gourmande hauteur by never, ever ordering fries at a fast food place. I grew up amongst the frite wagons in Quebec -- puhleeze.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hmmm... guilty pleasures.

Western Bacon Cheesebugers and Criss Cut Fries from Carls Jr.

In-N-Out

Soft Serve Cones

Mc D's chicken nuggets, fries and a vanilla shake to dip the fries in

Eating Umeboshi straight out of the jar

greasy pizza

Mc D's bacon egg and cheese biscuits

Sushi from the local Safeway on weekday afternoons (when it's fresh)

Chili Cheese Dogs

Cheryl

Fried chicken livers?!

I must know more. Where are these Popeyes?

I'm guessing they were a limited-time-only promotional item. I can find no trace of them on the current menu on Popeyes' web site. However, I can find recipes there. (No, they don't post the seasoning blend for their fried chicken.)

Personally, I love with a secret and guilty delight:

-Popeyes spicy chicken. Especially the fatty parts...

Fatty or not, Popeyes chicken is yummy from start to finish. Their sides are also very good quality for fast food.

-McDonald's sausage egg mcmuffin. Death on a paper wrapping, but so good...

I've been spoiled by Wawa's similar offerings, which IMO are tastier. I believe Wawa has stores in the Washington area now; otherwise, it's a Philly thing--you wouldn't understand. (Seriously. The chain--which is synonymous with convenience stores in the Philadelphia region--has an ad campaign running currently in which busy people display an almost maniacal need for Wawa coffee, hoagies and breakfast sandwiches. For many 'round these parts, the ads come awfully close to describing reality.)

-Clam strips. Though except in New England, it's always a bitter disappointment.

Thank you for giving me an excuse to try the "authentic New England clam rolls" sandwich that recently appeared on the menu at Woody's bar. (They certainly look authentic--they're served in those only-in-New England hot dog buns that have no crust on their sides and look like squat, thick slices of white bread split down the middle of their tops.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Maybe a bigger heresy, though:  Here I live in Hoagie Heaven, and there are times when I just gotta go to Quizno's.  Hope nobody on the Pennsylvania board is reading this topic.

You are so busted! :rolleyes: Nah, only kidding. Everyone knows that Quizno's doesn't make Hoagies. The only reason they even call them Subs is because no one outside of New England understands the word Grinder.

Actually, I had been exposed to a Grinder way back in my callow youth in Kansas City, well before I ever set foot in New England.

However, this Grinder is unique to a sandwich shop in downtown Kansas City called Mario's. I've not run across it anywhere else.

It's made like this: Cut off the end of a torpedo (submarine) roll. Hollow out the roll. Fill the cavity with meatballs, sauce and Mozzarella cheese. Plug the roll with the cut-off end and bake for about 5 minutes.

The one thing this sandwich has in common with the New England grinder and the Quizno's version is that it's oven toasted/baked.

Oh, when my family lived in PA we were big fans of Lee's – is that respectable, or does that install me firmly in this Guilty Pleasure thread?

Lee's Hoagie House is a Philadelphia institution, and most assuredly respectable. But they're far from the best hoagies in town, though they are good.

My oh my, never in my life have I heard of poutine and now I want to try it very, very much.  :wub:

Having found out what it is downthread, so do I. It also sounds like something you could make yourself at home.

Poutine is truly a gift from the gods.  Picture a mountain of french fries, nice and greasy, covered in rich gravey (I've seen it as pork, beef, and chicken, depends where you get it), and either loads of cheese curds, goat cheese, or any cheese that melts well.  Truly one of the best ways to enjoy fries.

"Cheese curds"? This would work with cottage cheese?

And where does the term "poutine" come from? Given where it first surfaced in this discussion, I had this image of some sort of chicken byproduct in my head. Thanks for dispelling my false impression.

I apologize for giving advice, I hate to do that, but feel I must.

Never, ever, ever go to a thread that is talking about fast/inexpensive restaurants in the middle of the night when you are both hungry and expecting a blizzard to start in the next few hours and will not be able to run for the border for probably, oh, a week or so.

Yes, love Taco Bell (was introduced to it as a student in CA some 40 years ago as a student). I know it is not even Tex-Mex, but adore the stuff about once or twice a year when we go and buy everything on the menu (is $40 to go for two people a lot?).

This is torture folks, think I will just go to bed.

Fried chicken livers?!

I must know more. Where are these Popeyes?

I'm guessing they were a limited-time-only promotional item. I can find no trace of them on the current menu on Popeyes' web site. However, I can find recipes there. (No, they don't post the seasoning blend for their fried chicken.)

Personally, I love with a secret and guilty delight:

-Popeyes spicy chicken. Especially the fatty parts...

Fatty or not, Popeyes chicken is yummy from start to finish. Their sides are also very good quality for fast food.

Fried chicken liver dinners aren't a promotional item down here in south Louisiana. They've been on the regular menu ever since Popeye's opened a franchise here in Lafayette, some 28 years ago. I don't know about other areas of the country, though.

As far as their sides go, the red beans and rice is something that our handicapped son loved to eat, otherwise he ate mostly pureed or very soft foods. He couldn't talk, so we had to learn to understand his body language as much as we could. When he was fed Popeye's red beans and rice, his little tongue would come out of his mouth searching for more, as he cooed and smiled. (Our 17 year old, non-handicapped son coos and smiles when he scarfs down their biscuits. He could talk, but his mouth is full.)

Popeye's new green beans side order is very tasty, if you appreciate southern style green beans.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

"Cheese curds"?  This would work with cottage cheese?

And where does the term "poutine" come from?  Given where it first surfaced in this discussion, I had this image of some sort of chicken byproduct in my head. Thanks for dispelling my false impression.

I found an entry on Wikipedia with the history and a picture...the important part:

"Several communities claim to be the origin of poutine, including Drummondville, Quebec and Victoriaville, Quebec. The most popular tale is the one of Fernand Lachance, from Warwick, Quebec, which claims that poutine was invented in 1957, when a client ordered fries and cheese curds in a bag. Lachance would have exclaimed 'ça va faire une maudite poutine' ("it will make a hell of a mess"), hence the name. The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm for longer. In fact, linguists have found no occurrence of the word poutine with this meaning earlier than 1978."

As for cheese curds, I guess cheddar or gouda's traditional. Places around here use mozzarella.

And I shouldn't have read this with the hangover I'm nursing, 'cause now I'm going to get one :laugh:

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

As for cheese curds, I guess cheddar or gouda's traditional.  Places around here use mozzarella.

And I shouldn't have read this with the hangover I'm nursing, 'cause now I'm going to get one  :laugh:

Cheddar and gouda are not the traditional curds; it's fresh cheese curds (they squeak when you bite into them).

Don't blame the hangover when you're sorry. :biggrin:

hot dog with "wince" hormel no beans hot chili, cheese sauce, onions and jalepeno peppers. Washed down with .....chocolate milk! :blink:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

True confessions on eGullet! Wow, this might be one of the most popular threads ever.

Me, I like Extra Crispy at KFC, the cheese biscuits at RL and a cheese Whopper, hold the pickles and onions.  And regionally, the biscuits at Bojangles.

Yeah, it was hard to get EGS to fess-up.

Like anything else here once they get started..................

Some of the snobbier members are still holding-out. You'll know who they are cause they won't post here. Ha ha ha

Nasty habits, a thread about farts, Thomas Keller selling- out, what have I done!

:wacko:

Edited by chefreit (log)

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Speaking of fried chicken livers...

They make them in the deli at Wal-Mart. I buy a hot bag and eat them while i'm slumming for batteries and paper towels. Two nasty little habits in one.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Hmm...lots of good/gross stuff somes to mind:

-KFC chicken, which I only eat a couple of times a year and it also seems to coincide with my cravings for Dairy Queen Blizzards.

-Taco Bell, because we don't have many in our neck of the woods so we usually pop in when we come across one.

-Movie popcorn with lots of butter, and on occasion sprinkled with lots of powdered topping like sour cream and onion.

-Bread sticks from Dominos.

-The Texas Chicken Skillet or a Super Bird ... from Denny's.

Ok, haven't done this for a few years, but it's still tempting to me:

Eating frozen Duncan Hines Fudge Frosting straight from the can with a big soup spoon. It never really freezes, it just gets REALLY thick.

Edited by PaoPao (log)

My confession:

1- Does anyone know of "Golden Skillet"? (Haven't seen one in years - couldn't pass up the chicken livers).

2 - Haven't heard of chicken livers at Popeyes :sad: . My downfall - they're building a Popeyes w/in 3 miles of me - love that 'Cajun Spice' :smile:

3 - Quiznos - the spicy Italian - and the Peppa Bar (where's that commercial with the animals - what were they - rats!?!

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

I used to love McDonald's Chicken Nuggets before they made them all-white meat. Bring back the dark, unidentifiable chicken parts. And I must have at least 5 cartons of the Sweet and Sour sauce for dunking my 9-piece portion.

Arby's Roast Beef is another one of my favorites, with about 3 packets of Arby sauce on it!

This is one where I hang my head in shame: fun-fetti frosting strait outta the jar. I am the most anti-cake mix, anti-canned frosting person (as a personal choice, they are fine for others). But that vanilla frosting with multi-colored "chips" eaten with a spoon....

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Oh boy. Here we go:

Frostys n' fries at Wendy's, any chocolate ice cream with a hefty blob of peanut butter tossed in, pizza from down the street at 3 am, hot dogs at Yankee games, buttered bagels, Red Baron Supreme pizzas, Bourbon Chicken at the mall, Slim Jims, Dunkin' Donuts chocolate glazed and Boston creams...

And from NJ diners: mozzerella sticks, nachos, deluxe burger platters, two eggs and bacon with rye toast and home fries at any hour, mozzerella cheese fries.

Okay-- time for dinner!

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again." --Groucho Marx