• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nasty Little Habits

chefreit

Footlong meatball subs from subway - with cheese of course!

KFC hot wings

Kebabs. Lots of Kebabs.

Nasty thick, cardboardy takeaway pizza with too much rubbery cheese and far to many jalapenos. Only when drunk obviously.

Shall I cancel my eGullet membership now?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Or the Clam Guy's stall at the Boston Haymarket.

Pray describe a little more. Belly or strips?

"The Clam Shack's! (Two Light, Portland ME.)

Whole Belly and lobster rolls RULE!"

Harry :cool:

Da' Jersey Guy

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Popeye's fried chicken, spicy with lots of greasy crispy skin

Popeye's fried chicken liver dinner. Mmm.

Haven't seen that menu item in their Philadelphia locations. Or maybe I just haven't been looking for it.

Anyway, I "Love That Chicken" too. KFC is not an acceptable substitute--not even their spicy version.

Maybe a bigger heresy, though: Here I live in Hoagie Heaven, and there are times when I just gotta go to Quizno's. Hope nobody on the Pennsylvania board is reading this topic.

I'm also a sucker for Auntie Anne's soft pretzels with mustard or cheese or with their powdered sour cream-and-onion topping--that is, assuming I'm nowhere near Fisher's pretzel stand in the Reading Terminal Market.

Edited to add: My local Popeye's opened where for many years a White Castle stood. Talk about guilty pleasures! I could pig out on a dozen of those cute little creatures.

OMG!

There are time when I knaw the crunchy stuff clean from the bone.

I think they are bones anyway? :wacko:

Big ups to the footlong meatball Subway atrocity; that's my go-to hangover feed, with way too many green peppers and some onions. As for poutine...well, there's a version of it that I've only ever seen in one place - the Irving Big Stop in Salisbury, New Brunswick - that involves a dinner plate covered in fries, cheese, gravy, hamburger, and onions. It's pretty much the only food I've ever eaten that I've felt guilty about...

Todd - oh, and stopped for every time I'm through :raz:

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

I've figured out the Red Lobster secret. They put cocaine in those cheese biscuits, I swear...

My whole family loves the place and I used to always get ill after I ate there (under duress, I might add - except for those biscuits). Then I figured it out. I was ordering stuff that is ALWAYS on the menu and thus must always be frozen.

Now when I am forced to Red Lobster for familial togetherness, I order whatever is fresh. Grilled with their garlic butter sauce is usually okay and I don't end up losing my cookies as I used to do.

I love Big Macs- will get one with a small fry about 3 times a year. I also get cravings for the Taco Bell double decker taco with mexi fries. Taco Time soft taco with mexi fries dipped in thousand island.

Yep, I know....it's bad. It tastes so good, until about 30 mins later.  :wacko:

I also had an episode where my craving for chicken fried steak led me to a Denny's. haha! that was funny!

Thank god I don't do the donut thing.....one of the Krispy Kreme main west coast offices is just down the street from me.

I also love Pringles, eat them as often as I can justify it and serve them in my house with champagne!  :blush:

Sushi from Target. It's certainly not my first choice for sushi, but sometimes the craving is there and so am I.

Tacos from Jack in the Box.

A vanilla shake and french fries to dip in it. And I'm not supposed to eat dairy. So it is a guilty pleasure.

Popeye's fried chicken, spicy with lots of greasy crispy skin

gallery_11814_148_1106266766.jpg

I am so nasty, I will say no more on the subject  (maybe):cool:

“Ladies, (boy if I wasn’t married) this sounds like a reality show in the making.”

“GIVE ME MORE!”

:wub:

-Church's chicken  :wub: it's always juicy, and the coating is nice and crispy!

-fries from KFC, or even better--their poutine!

-onion rings from A&W (because they're breaded, not battered)

-sourcream donut holes from Tim Horton's, the honey cruellers, their cheese croissants, and biscuits with tons of butter

-the McChicken

-warm cinnamon buns from Cinnazeo (sp?) with extra cream cheese icing, of course!

I also really enjoy junky, sugar-laden Chinese food once in a while--like the red, syrupy sweet and sour pork! And here's something kind of weird--I like to eat sour cream straight out of the plastic tub. It's like extra creamy yogurt. I finished one of those 500mL tubs this week, in fact.  :laugh:

"EXTRA CREAM CHEESE ICING!

Eat it a tub at a time, no spoon needed!"

KRISPY KREMES!

Vanilla cream filled, not the fake Bavarian!

Or the cinnomon things, roll, whateverI

It's all good! :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Tell me more!

I'm going to puke in ecstasy!

Ha ha ha ha ha LOL

Red Lobster.  I actually dislike the cheese biscuits (I think it's the greasiness... and the texture... oh wait, possibly the taste, too.  :laugh: )  I do, however, admit to enjoying copious amounts of crab legs.  I am personally the reason why RL can't do that all-you-can-eat promotion anymore.  Thankyouveddymuch.  :cool:

My wife has the east coast territory covered.

Please.... Don't make me go Soprano's on your ass! :cool:

Edited by chefreit (log)

KRISPY KREMES!

I'm going  to puke in ecstasy!

Ha ha ha ha ha LOL

It's a good thing I said maybe! :laugh:

Now don't go puking all over the place, chefreit!!!

But when this sign is on

gallery_11814_606_1106314624.jpg

and you get some hot doughnuts rolling off this thing

gallery_11814_606_1106314644.jpg

the glazed, too sweet--make your teeth hurt and hips explode -- ones can be a nasty habit.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Fried chicken livers?!

I must know more. Where are these Popeyes?

Personally, I love with a secret and guilty delight:

-Popeyes spicy chicken. Especially the fatty parts...

-McDonald's sausage egg mcmuffin. Death on a paper wrapping, but so good...

-McDonald's apple pie thingy. Oooh. Two for a dollar? Don't mind if I do!

-Clam strips. Though except in New England, it's always a bitter disappointment.

-Subway sweet onion chicken teriyaki sandwiches, with extra sauce if the sandwich people can be conned into doing so.

-Anything fried from Chik-fil-A. :swoon:

Edited by baranoouji (log)

White Castle cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches and onion rings.

Or if your from Jersey City, The White Manor.

This is the original "Jersey Murder Burger."

I've noticed that the majority of these "nasty habits" are store bought. What about what you prepare :blink: at home? I have two (in addition to all my "store bought"). Both are eaten the morning after over consumption.

-toast, butter, parmesan, preferably kraft

-chicken noodle soup COLD with ripple chips smashed up inside.

I do have to confess that the latter is something that I haven't done for quite some time.

Derek

McDonald's sausage and egg McMuffin. Somethimes two on the drive to ski.

I also have a weekly craving for Jamaican spicy beef patties. The ones with

the flakey rather than the doughy pastry.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Dunkin' Doughnuts iced coffee with lots of cream, French crullers and a sausage,egg & cheese on a croissant. YUM! :blush:

Chocolate covered oreos, dunked in iced coffee with cream; White Castle burgers; hot Crispy Cream donuts; bread pudding with whiskey sauce; Godiva chocolate truffles, but only from a Godiva shop where they are sold in bulk, so they're fresh;a hamburger,very thick, browned in a little butter and damn near raw inside, served on buttered rye toast. And of course now I'm starved!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Dunkin' Doughnuts iced coffee with lots of cream, French crullers and a sausage,egg & cheese on a croissant. YUM! :blush:

Chocolate covered oreos, dunked in iced coffee with cream; White Castle burgers; hot Crispy Cream donuts; bread pudding with whiskey sauce; Godiva chocolate truffles, but only from a Godiva shop where they are sold in bulk, so they're fresh;a hamburger,very thick, browned in a little butter and damn near raw inside, served on buttered rye toast. And of course now I'm starved!

HOW ABOUT! :shock: <"THAT'S ME, READY TO TOSS MY OREOS!"

DEEP FRIED OREO'S!

I haven't fed this particular nasty little habit in years, but Luther's Barbecue Beef sandwich with coleslaw on top PLUS and MOST IMPORTANT, the onion ring loaf. Lots of battered (not breaded) skinny, crispy, greasy, tasty, onion rings. With ketchup. Oh, when I was pregnant for #2 son, this was my dream meal.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

McDonald's sausage and egg McMuffin.

I prefer their Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit.

Oh. Oh. Oh. Chick-Fil-A's Chicken Biscuit. So good you have to have two. (Now let me hang my head in greedy shame.)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I love Krystals burgers! I can only get them when I go home to visit so I tend to over indulge a bit. I also use to crave Krispy Kremes when I could only get them at home on visits. Now that we have about three of them in town, I don't crave them at all. I guess you always want what you can't have.

I also occasionally crave a Sourdough Jack from Jack In The Box. Strangely enough, it never tastes quite as good as I remember it from the previous time. I only get it about once a year so I suppose I forget how it tastes.

Oh, and if you are looking for a very tasty fast food fried pie, Whataburger has a great one.

You would have to be from NJ to know this one.

Grilled sabrett hot dogs with chili/onions, mustard, and raw white onion at Boulevard Drinks in JC

You would have to be from NJ to know this one.

Grilled sabrett hot dogs with chili/onions, mustard, and raw white onion at Boulevard Drinks in JC

BMTs from Subway

Mmm, the Subway BMT...sorta almost as good as a Blimpie Best!

Maybe a bigger heresy, though:  Here I live in Hoagie Heaven, and there are times when I just gotta go to Quizno's.  Hope nobody on the Pennsylvania board is reading this topic.

You are so busted! :rolleyes: Nah, only kidding. Everyone knows that Quizno's doesn't make Hoagies. The only reason they even call them Subs is because no one outside of New England understands the word Grinder. Oh, when my family lived in PA we were big fans of Lee's – is that respectable, or does that install me firmly in this Guilty Pleasure thread?

My oh my, never in my life have I heard of poutine and now I want to try it very, very much. :wub:

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four