• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nasty Little Habits

chefreit

I am now a reformed junk-food junkie ... but back in the day, I had a whole bunch of guilty pleasures:

--Jack in the Box's Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger

--Carl's Jr. Six Dollar Burger (any variation thereof)

--Cheapass delivery pizza with everything on it

--Supermarket cheddar cheese--I used to rip through a 2lb block of the stuff in an embarrassingly short amount of time

--Cheapass supermarket fried chicken

--Americanized-Chinese buffets--some folks go to these and just tank on one thing, like the crab legs; I'd tank on things like the big greasy pork ribs

--Big American diner-style breakfasts--like with the huge overstuffed multi-egg omelettes, hash browns, pork products, biscuits and gravy, etc. etc. etc.

Technically, I could still indulge in any of these things as part of my occasional-splurge strategy, but now that I am only allowing myself those splurges on occasion (as opposed to, say, every single damn day :smile: ), I feel this peculiar reluctance to "waste" them on just any old crap. So of all the above guilty pleasures, the only one that still tempts me to expend a splurge on, maybe, is the Chinese buffet thang. Meat, grease, salt, sugar, MSG ... what's not to love? :wub::laugh:

this could be an australian thing....

cold pizza - the left overs from the night before. hawaiian is by far the best - eaten for breakfast with diet coke.

all the non australians i know are absolutely horrified by this - but it truly rocks. and was quite a common foodshame behaviour back at university.

the other thing that i can't go past is a good old aussie sausage sizzle - the ones with the cheapest, sawdust filled thick n thins on pasty white sliced bread with white crow tomato sauce. i used to tell myself that i was helping with their fundraising - but it is ironic that i'll only buy posh snags from the butchers - organic, preferably - but i'm happy to eat the sweepings in catgut for a worthy cause.

when i lived in california - it was all about the in and out burger. oh. my. GOD.

i don't crave fast food usually - and i have to say when i've had burger king in the uk it's been hideous.. but what i wouldn't do for those in-n-out - in and out .... whatever.. fries.

I love In and Out, but thankfully I live thousands of miles from the nearest one. Best fries in fast-food land and the only place that I'd order a double anything.

I have a thing for fast-food or chain breakfasts:

IHOP or Cracker Barrel pancakes drowned in maple-flavored goo or fake fruit topping.

Bacon Egg and Cheese biscuits from Hardee's. Their plain biscuits are great too (at least at the local one) and made for a good 63 cent breakfast back when I worked midnight to 8am.

Huddle House's western omelet plate, sub hash browns for grits and lots of jelly on the white toast.

There's a local place that makes a calzone about the size of my arm for 6.99 (+1.99 if you want meat).

I used to have no taste at all for fast food or junk food--I blame college for this list!

cold pizza - the left overs from the night before.  hawaiian is by far the best - eaten for breakfast with diet coke.

Oh, I assure you that cold pizza for breakfast is beloved of many Americans as well. It even inspired a song! :biggrin:

Yes! Yes! Pizza for breakfast!

Another guilty pleasure for me, a Jumbo Jack with cheese. Only do it about every two months or more but love that grease and plastic cheese. Yum!

My daughter, on the other hand wants In-n-out burger, which are OK but I want pickles. A burger without pickles just doesn't get it.

when it's that time of the month when i crave something it has to be from Burger King:

2 whopper juniors, extra pickles - discard the bottom bun and add extra ketchup to patty

small fries

vanilla milkshake

about once a week i have to have pizza so that means our local Frank's outlet. i walk in and the guys just get my order ready - two plain slices and don't heat them.

Taco Bell - two crunchy tacos with extra hot sauce

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My daughter, on the other hand wants In-n-out burger, which are OK but I want pickles. A burger without pickles just doesn't get it.

Um, I'll admit that I don't understand this comment. I always get In-N-Out burgers when I'm in California, which I am fairly often. And I agree with you that "a burger without pickles just doesn't get it."

Unless I've gone daffy, every single In-N-Out burger I've ever had has pickles.

:huh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My two most dispicable guilty pleasures when it comes to fast food are Domino's deep dish veggie feast pizza, and Krispy Kreme glazed donuts with chocolate frosting.

I would knock you down to get to a shrimp scampi with garlic toast appetizer from Carrabba's.

But when I get a craving for "something sweet" at home, I have been known to put peanut butter, sliced banana, Garner's cherry preserves, and a little bit of hot fudge between two pieces of squishy white bread. I call this my banana split sandwich. Scrumptious!

Edited to add: I LOVE the rooty tooty breakfast at IHOP. I get 4 sausage links, eggs, hashbrowns, and 3 pancakes, which I eat with syrup, and I devour every single delectable bite.

Edited again to add: Have I mentioned that I weigh 264 lbs?

Edited by ClarifiedButler (log)

I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is two weeks.

...snip (edited for brevity/clarity)

Red Lobsters ...have disappeared from Quebec...

yeah--does anyone know what that is about? is it a icensing or franchising thing? Red Lobster used to be my (embarassing) guilty pleasure.

Yep, they went bankrupt in Quebec a few years ago. Along with the Olive Garden in Ontario. The Husband (then just a boyfriend) was working at the Olive garden when they shut down. They were called in the morning for a mandatory all staff meeting and told that they would not be opening that day. But he did somehow end up with 7 weeks severance pay so he was not too unhappy.

cold pizza - the left overs from the night before.  hawaiian is by far the best - eaten for breakfast with diet coke. 

nope, not an Australian thing at all. My preference is a pepperoni with root beer for breakfast. Sometimes mushrooms with that pepperoni.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I have actually searched out and found and MADE the copycat recipe for those freakin' garlic cheese muffins.  And Mr. Kim has confessed that when alone and unobserved he consumes vast amounts of circus peanuts.

:blink:  :raz:

Would be more then "great" :wub: if you posted it!

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

I have actually searched out and found and MADE the copycat recipe for those freakin' garlic cheese muffins.  And Mr. Kim has confessed that when alone and unobserved he consumes vast amounts of circus peanuts.

I don't have the copycat recipe ... but. A manager at a local RL was happy to tell somebody ( :wink: ) that you could get the same thing by mixing some shredded cheddar into that Betty Crocker biscuit mix, brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic powder.

nope, not an Australian thing at all. My preference is a pepperoni with root beer for breakfast. Sometimes mushrooms with that pepperoni.

And I like cold, leftover tomatoey anything for breakfast - lasagna, spaghetti, whatever.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My two most dispicable guilty pleasures when it comes to fast food are  Domino's deep dish veggie feast pizza, and Krispy Kreme glazed donuts with chocolate frosting. 

I would knock you down to get to a shrimp scampi with garlic toast appetizer from Carrabba's.

But when I get a craving for "something sweet" at home, I have been known to put peanut butter, sliced banana, Garner's cherry preserves, and a little bit of hot fudge between two pieces of squishy white bread.  I call this my banana split sandwich.  Scrumptious!

Edited to add:  I LOVE the rooty tooty breakfast at IHOP.  I get 4 sausage links, eggs, hashbrowns, and 3 pancakes, which I eat with syrup, and I devour every single delectable bite.

Edited again to add:  Have I mentioned that I weigh 264 lbs?

Welcome ClarifiedButler, and I think I love you, or at least your taste in food! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Cold pepperoni pizza (thin or handtossed, not pan or stuffed) with mashed almost-overripe avocado on top.

Kraft Mac-n-Cheese with drained can of tuna tossed in.

Arby's chicken fingers.

Taco Bell Grilled Stuffed Burrito or chicken soft taco supreme.

Cold rice with soy sauce.

Saltines with butter.

I'm ashamed to admit it here, but I like fast food.

Wendy's double cheeseburger

KFC

McDonald's Big Mac

ETA: I forgot to mention that I'm also guilty of liking fast food breakfasts - sausage egg mcmuffin, Burger King's croissanwich, Steak Egg & Cheese bagel from McD's.

OMG: Dunkin Donuts #4 special; sausage, egg & cheese on a croissant with a LARGE ice coffee, lots of cream & no sugar. To DIE for! :wub:

That's funny...I had that exact same breakfast sandwich on Monday morning. :laugh: Except instead of the iced coffee, I had a french vanilla coollata.

*sigh*

Why can't I wean myself from fast food???

I don't have the copycat recipe ... but. A manager at a local RL was happy to tell somebody ( :wink: ) that you could get the same thing by mixing some shredded cheddar into that Betty Crocker biscuit mix, brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic powder.

Thats it!! Thats it!! :laugh::laugh: ! You actually mix the garlic powder in with the melted butter (I think the recipe I found called for margarine, but I sprung for butter :wink: ) and then DIP the hot cheese biscuits in the garlic butter :wub::wub: .

• 2 months later...

It looks like my downfall is a unique one because i havent seen it yet....

Fruit Roll Ups, the kind with 4 Different colors Blue,Red,Green and Yellow.

I can usually resist them but once every couple of months i buy a box and eat them all 10 before i get home.

Edited by Amida0616 (log)

Sonic CheddarPeppers

Bacon cheeseburger, fries, and at least two tubs of ketchup from Whataburger

Chocolate chip cookie dough and canned chocolate frosting, layered like a trifle (once a year)

RL cheese biscuits

Cajun pistols at the county festival!!

Lisa

The standup comic Ron White tells a story about a vegetarian friend of his who fell ill after eating a vegetarian soup that he suspected might have contained beef broth. "Your body rejects broth?" That, of course, is both funny -- yet obviously not funny. If it is sold as vegetarian, it should be so. And if you're not used to certain food stuffs, well, your body may take time to adapt to it.

I've eaten fast food no more than half a dozen times in the last three or four years. I specifically remember the last time, but in general, the less I ate the stuff, my body clearly became increasingly unfamiliar with it, and had negative reactions to it. And I'm no vegan, or organic eating kinda guy. Omnivore, I am.

Yet, I still cling to one nasty little habit -- gas station hotdogs. I know, that stuff just HAS to be worse than McD I'm sure. I mean, Quikie-Mart Hapoo nasty, horrible, vile hotdogs that have been rolling around for who knows how long. It's been a couple of years since I last had one, but the desire is still there. I'm sure I'll pick one of those nasty pieces of crap up every now and then -- until I catch ebola from one.