• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dick's Dock

pjm9277

Has anyone been to this place in Metuchen? I tried searching and haven't been able to find anything on eGullet and there is limited info on the web. We will be going this Saturday with another couple, they have been before, and was just looking for other's impressions.

someone posted on dick's dock positively on egullet previously. i've not been, but i have passed the restaurant front as both a pedestrian and a car passenger a few times. it's decidedly unfancy, hokey even, in decor. i cannot comment on the food, as i have no knowledge of it.

cheers :)

hc

Where is it in Metuchen? And please DO give a report. I am very close to Metuchen and anxious to find decent local seafood.

I have concluded that the Chowder Pot in Rahway is just awful. I gave them 3 chances - several years apart - and my recent visit was as disappointing as the previous 2.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Actually, I did a search and found a "review' of sorts HERE

Found another site that had photos from a wedding rehearsal dinner which was held at their "most favorite restaurant", Dick's Dock. Not enough info to bother to link. But I did look at the pics, hoping to see some FOOD...only saw what looked like bagel chips and lemon wedges in every pic! hmmmm

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Thanks for the link Randi, I had come across the rehearsal dinner pics, but missed the one you had posted.

It looks like we may have to wait to try out Dick's Dock, they may not be open this Saturday pending the blizzard like conditions some weatherman have been forecasting. I will definetly try to make it there within the coming weeks if we are unable to attend this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Where is it in Metuchen?  And please DO give a report.  I am very close to Metuchen and anxious to find decent local seafood.

I have concluded that the Chowder Pot in Rahway is just awful.  I gave them 3 chances - several years apart - and my recent visit was as disappointing as the previous 2.

Although I haven't been to Dick's Dock in more than a year, I used to go quite often for lunch and always enjoyed their fresh fish. It's very close to Dan's on Main (not sure if that's the correct name) on the same side of the street. It's also a BYO and appears to have been a diner at one time...there's a counter and booths.

If you continue north past the Chowder Pot on 27 for about another mile you'll come to Sebastian's, also a new seafood restaurant and also a BYO. It used to be Tep's. I've been there a few times since it opened and also enjoyed it. They are located at 956 St. Georges Ave. in Rahway.

Although I haven't been to Dick's Dock in more than a year, I used to go quite often for lunch and always enjoyed their fresh fish.  It's very close to Dan's on Main (not sure if that's the correct name) on the same side of the street.  It's also a BYO and appears to have been a diner at one time...there's a counter and booths.

If you continue north past the Chowder Pot on 27 for about another mile you'll come to Sebastian's, also a new seafood restaurant and also a BYO.  It used to be Tep's.  I've been there a few times since it opened and also enjoyed it.  They are located at 956 St. Georges Ave. in Rahway.

Thanks for the info, Cornus! I noticed in some pics online that Dick's Dock was mostly booths. I noticed some chairs in the photos, though, so I am hoping they have a couple of tables with chairs. (I am not comfortable in a booth.)

Do you remember if Dick's served shellfish? or mostly just fresh fish?

I remember where Tep's was - I will check out Sebastian's. Again - do they have good shell fish? I really need a decent lobster and/or crab place nearby!!

There is a really inexpensive (and decent) Chinese Buffet on Wood Ave in Linden (I forget the name - something with a "Q"?) where they have great snow crab legs. When I need a crab fix now, I usually go there. It's all you can eat for under 10 bucks.

I remember Teps.  When did  Sebastian's open?

They've only been open for a few months. They greatly improved the interior...Tep's used to be rather dark and dreary. Sebastian's is now bright and cherry...amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do! It's now also a non-smoking establishment which I find a *plus*. I recall Tep's used to have a non-smoking section, but since it's just one big room I often got seated right next to a table full of smokers. Sort of defeated the purpose of requesting the non-smoking section when you were seated right next to a group of smokers.