• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Marcia

"The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Reinhart

Sweet? I don't think it's supposed to be noticeably sweet. I've made it many times trying to perfect it, and it's always tasted the same as any baguette.

I don't remember the recipe, but I don't think it has any sugar in it.

Speaking of sweet... My wife and daughter have been after me to make a sweet bread, so I made the Portuguese/Hawaiian Sweet Bread recipe this weekend! The picture in the book looks so enticing, the dark mahogany crust and the yellow cake-like crumb, I had to try it. The recipe calls for lemon and orange extracts, but I didn't have either so I used almond and anise extracts along with vanilla.

I was doubting whether I would get the same dark colored crust, but it came out perfectly! It was beautiful! My daughter said it looked like a big chestnut! This bread has a hint of sweetness without being cloying, and the crumb is cake-like. It was delicious with just a spread of butter, and I liked the almond and anise aromas. It was even better as French toast!

I also made the Italian bread recipe, but formed it into 9 mini batards, split down the middle. Excellent results! The bread was a hit with my spaghetti and meatball dinner yesterday!

Sorry for not having any pics!

Bob R in OKC

I don't remember the recipe, but I don't think it has any sugar in it.

It doesn't have sugar, but it tasted sweet. Not very sweet, but noticeably sweet. In his introduction to the recipe, Reinhart explains why this dough is sweeter than the others. Well, I didn't like the taste, but it might be good in a pizza crust.

I made Pain a l'ancienne for the first time today and I'm not sure if I got it right. Should it taste really sweet? As if there was sugar in the dough? I definitely didn't like it.

No, its far from right if the bread actually tastes sweet.

Though the dough, straight from the fridge well might.

The concept is that the long cool pre-fermentation 'hold' allows more sugars to be liberated from the flour -- AND that these are then bonus food for the yeast, and largely consumed by it. It would be important that the dough be allowed enough time to warm up and then ferment properly after it comes out of the fridge.

Edited by dougal (log)

I waited for two or three hours before baking the dough on a warm day, but I will try waiting longer. Thanks!

Edited by Mirrorball (log)

After attending a week long bread baking course in New York recently, I tried the Vienna bread again, using some of the techniques I learned. Apparently I failed at shaping. :biggrin:

Bar none, this is the best result I've obtained. Great oven spring and bloom and a crumb to die for.

gallery_6080_205_156232.jpg

gallery_6080_205_186955.jpg

After attending a week long bread baking course in New York recently,  I tried the Vienna bread again, using some of the techniques I learned.  Apparently I failed at shaping. :biggrin:

Bar none, this is the best result I've obtained.  Great oven spring and bloom and a crumb to die for.

gallery_6080_205_156232.jpg

gallery_6080_205_186955.jpg

Oh god - that looks gorgeous!!!

Thanks Kerry. :smile: We love this bread.

Italian Bread from BBA

gallery_6080_205_154413.jpg

gallery_6080_205_194625.jpg

Bagels, with sesame and sea salt.  I am not a good baker and I have never made bagels before, yet the recipe and directions were easy to follow, and the bagels were delicious.  Thank you, Mr. Reinhart.

gallery_51874_4337_543933.jpg

gallery_51874_4337_418233.jpg

Hey K,

I didnt realize you made these. I have the dough in the fridge and will boil and bake overnight. One one of my previous trip to S. Fl I got my favorite bagel shop to sell me some high gluten flour. I'm very excited as I've wanted to make this recipe for a long time. ( I bought diatastic malt about 2yrs ago, I hope its still good).

I'm a novice at bread baking, and picked up a copy of The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It has a recipe for Light Wheat bread that calls for Powdered milk. I have also seen one that calls for powdered potatoes. Whay would these ingredients be included in bread?

I'm a novice at bread baking, and picked up a copy of The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It has a recipe for Light Wheat bread that calls for Powdered milk. I have also seen one that calls for powdered potatoes. Whay would these ingredients be included in bread?

Potato starch adds a soft gelatinous texture to bread, and helps to prevent staling.

Dry potato flakes are easy to store, measure and use. They also tend to be free of Bacillus Mesentericus, aka 'Rope' an infection of bread which leaves you with loaves with runny centers and a weird cantaloupe smell. Rope spores are not killed by normal cooking temperatures, so they can survive very well in products like home-cooked potatoes.

There are old recipes that call for cooked potatoes, but they are less exact because of moisture content variations. The cooked potatoes may contain the Rope bacilli and ruin your loaves and potentially infect the whole kitchen so that nothing bakes well for you.

Powdered milk is easy to store and measure, and is generally non-fat. (If it has fat the % is regulated.) So, it's a more consistent ingredient. Whey protein can interfere with gluten development, scalding and most processing to powder deactivates the whey. So, powdered milk eliminates the need for scalding, saving the baker time.

Milk adds flavor, improves crumb texture, prevents wild fermentation, adds crust & crumb color (the lactose is not digested by yeast, so it survives into the oven where it browns nicely)

Thanks for the prompt answers and info. I look forward to checking out this section of eG much more as I gain baking experience. (I got biscuits down though!)

There are some good resources here, both in the forums and in the eG Culinary Institute section.

Have fun baking!

Does anyone know why Reinhart's recipes call for additional yeast to be added when making a poolish- or other pre-ferment-based bread? There is already plenty of yeast in the pre-ferment, as far as I can tell, so I don't understand why you'd bother adding any more. I haven't even noticed a substantial difference in rise times when omitting the second batch of yeast.

I made the Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire yesterday and it was pretty fantastic. The depth of flavor was intense and made me wonder how we ever got away from baking with whole grains in the first place. Nothing matches the flavor you get from fresh whole grains!

Thread revival. I've made a few things in this book, and they've turned out wonderfully - at least I think: I'd never had Anadama bread, so I do know if it tasted like it's supposed to taste, but it tasted good.

But I learned something today: Read all the directions. When he says 6-10 tablespoons of water, he might actually mean that you might need to use all 10, and not just 6. Wasted the day trying to make ciabatta. Ended up with ciabrick.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cookwhoplaysdrums
      Can anyone suggest me some good books related to Gastronomy, food history, culture, recipes based on different cultures. 
      Also recommend the best food magazine subscriptions. 
    • By artiesel
      THE BOOKS ARE SOLD

I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.

The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).

I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.

Let me know if interested or if you have questions

• By umami5
      Has anyone come across a digital version of Practical Professional Cookery (revised 3rd edition) H.L. Cracknell & R.J. Kaufmann.
      I am using this as the textbook for my culinary arts students and a digital version would come in very handy for creating notes and handouts.
    • By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me? 
    • By Mullinix18
      I have seen referenced in several places on the internet, including Wikipedia, a stat about escoffier recommending 40 minutes for scrambled eggs in a Bain Marie. I cant find where this number is from. On Wikipedia it refers to the book I currently own, the "Escoffier le guide culinaire" with forward by Heston Blumenthal by h. L. Cracknell...specificly page 157 for the 40 minute cooking time of scrambled eggs but it's not in my book on that page! Even tho there is the recipe for scrambled eggs on that page... I've seen the 1903 first edition online.. And it's not in there either.... Where is this number from?? Id like to know in case there is some even more complete book or something out there that I'm missing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.