• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Reinhart

Marcia

Here is my first focaccia. The texture was amazing; not light and airy but really great texture and bite. I topped it with an oil infused with oregano and thyme, but in my haste I forgot to add some fleur de sel. I will definitely remember next time.

gallery_41870_2503_16159.jpg

Made some baguette last night. I left the pate fermentee in the fridge for 2 days. It developed a great flavor and a wonderful crust. My husband asked if it was sourdough - a great result for such little effort.

My only complaint is I could detect my "envelope" folds on the interior. Anyone know how I can avoid that next time?

Slashes

gallery_41870_2503_23428.jpg

Baguette

gallery_41870_2503_46004.jpg

Crumb

gallery_41870_2503_5068.jpg

Thanks Foodman.

I made some kaiser rolls to go with our burgers tonight. The process was not at all difficult. I made the boules, then rolled them out after a little rest and tied double-knots as he shows in the book. They got a great rise on them (about 90 minutes proofing time) before going into the over, and the dough even has that stringy quality that I associate with kaisers.

The one disappointment is that they are not shiny. I just reread this thread and noticed that you had this same issue, Foodman. I would say the rolls in the book have some eggwash, wouldn't you?

Kaiser Rolls

gallery_41870_2503_42002.jpg

Edited by Shaya (log)

My steam breadmaker arrived the other day. I'm hoping to get a chance to play with it this week, or early next.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 4 weeks later...

Bagels, with sesame and sea salt. I am not a good baker and I have never made bagels before, yet the recipe and directions were easy to follow, and the bagels were delicious. Thank you, Mr. Reinhart.

gallery_51874_4337_543933.jpg

gallery_51874_4337_418233.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another question - I was planning to make the Vienna bread this weekend with the dutch crunch topping. There are instructions on how to make the dutch crunch topping, but it doesn't say anything about whether or not the topping needs to ferment before it's applied. It says something about the topping growing as the dough grows, but that's it. Has anyone made this before?

• 2 months later...

Hello! This is my first post post on this board, but I have been lurking for around 2 years! I know this is an old thread, but after reading through a few weeks back, I HAD to order this book! So far I have made the cinnamon rolls. I'm thinking that bagels are next!

Made the sticky buns this morning

A lot of work, and very time consuming

Coming out of the oven

gallery_18253_719_71510.jpg

Today’s breakfast was PR’s Cinnamon Rolls. I highly recommend those they are soft, flavorful and very addictive.

gallery_5404_94_125052.jpg

Elie

Made the cina buns this morning and have a brioche half way done.. Hopefully it will be worth photographing..

gallery_15057_1519_246372.jpg

Normally the icing is the best part of things like this.. But in this case the bread itself was the star..

My first time of posting on this thread, too - mainly as I haven't got the book :unsure: However, I did bake Cinnamon Rolls & Sticky Buns from the book last weekend. Here are the sticky buns:

gallery_43137_2974_7466.jpg

and here the cinnamon rolls:

gallery_43137_2974_33017.jpg

Whereas I did like the sticky buns, I wasn't impressed with the cinnamon rolls, and won't replace my regular cinnamon roll recipe (Swedish style) with Peter Reinhart's just yet. I guess I need cardamom in my cinnamon buns and not fondant glaze on them :laugh: To sum it up, I wasn't planning to buy the book based on these two recipes (yes, I did like sticky buns a lot, but they're way too rich for regular consumption :raz: ), then I'm reconsidering the decision after seeing all those gorgeous other breads here!

Some amazing stuff, people!!

I82Much - I didn't think it was much work at all making sticky buns. It's just the regular cinnamon roll recipe, plus 5 minutes mixing sugar, syrup and butter. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I thought I would bump this thread up to say Happy Thanksgiving and to show off my Rich Man's Brioche. I think the brioche is still the only thing I have made from this book, which is a crime. My results from making both Rich Man's and Middle Class Brioche have always been outstanding. I just love making this bread.

gallery_21419_862_948615.jpg

gallery_21419_862_1012436.jpg

Hello! This is my first post post on this board, but I have been lurking for around 2 years! I know this is an old thread, but after reading through a few weeks back, I HAD to order this book! So far I have made the cinnamon rolls. I'm thinking that bagels are next!

Hi roxyblue,

Welcome to the eGullet forums as a poster, and to Pastry & Baking as well.

I've been using this book, mostly to work on sourdough/bread making technique.

How did your bagels come out, and what else have you attempted from the book?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner rolls, Variation 2, from BBA

gallery_6080_205_33450.jpg

gallery_6080_205_27560.jpg

These were the best batch yet. I think I'm finally getting the "rolling the dough into a tight ball" technique down.

Marlene

I think yours look great! I opted out of the egg wash this time to see what they were like without it.

Marlene

I finally got an opportunity to try the steam maker bread baker today, ably assisted by two other eGulleters. We were perhaps a little aggressive with our slashes, but the crust was amazing. I love this thing. We made the french bread from BBA, and one eG'er brought a foie pate that she made from Happy in the Kitchen and the other one brought an olive tapenade. A great lunch and a wonderful time with these two ladies!

gallery_6080_205_236141.jpg

gallery_6080_205_22549.jpg

Marlene

Tried a couple more loaves of French Bread today using the steam maker. I was a lot more cautious with the slits this time, and I think I went too far the other way, and maybe not deep enough or long enough. I think I'll need to invest in a razor. I shaped and left them in the torpedo shape, rather than the longer baquette shape. I also bked them on the stone, but left them in the perforated shaped pan. One one loaf the slids did open somewhat, but on the other they didn't really.

gallery_6080_205_16745.jpg

gallery_6080_205_251935.jpg

I'll post a pic of the crumb after we've sliced into them.

Marlene

One one loaf the slids did open somewhat, but on the other they didn't really.

Did you steam the oven? I would guess that the steam isn't reaching part of the oven, hence the uneven oven spring.

Looks good!

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Yes, I steamed the oven. I'm using a steammaker, and I think perhaps I didn't leave the lid on long enough this time or give it quite enough steam. Still, it's fun practicing, although I won't be doing any more bread baking for about 3 weeks now, but after that, try try again! :biggrin:

Marlene

The crumb. I don't actually know if this is what it is supposed to look like, but we really liked the bread!

gallery_6080_205_248035.jpg

gallery_6080_205_213898.jpg

Marlene

• 3 weeks later...

I got what I asked for, for Christmas--this book! Yesterday I made the Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Swirl Bread. I have to say, that was the best bread I have ever tasted. It was so packed with raisins and nuts! I'm definitely going to make this again. Both loaves were gone before the end of the night and my family still wanted more. I feel bad for my sister who only got 2 slices....I think I had 5!

Me, dividing the dough:

gallery_55196_5570_84705.jpg

Look how packed it is!

gallery_55196_5570_70439.jpg

Out of the oven:

gallery_55196_5570_125623.jpg

Inside:

gallery_55196_5570_144297.jpg

It was made with the optional cinnamon sugar swirl and the sugar crunch topping. My sister thought it needed a glaze, so out came the powdered sugar and milk! I had to use all purpose flour because I didn't have bread flour.

I finally bought this book for myself at Christmas. I have been using it nearly everyday. I have loved everything I have made except the French bread.

It was the strangest thing, it went into the oven looking great. It did not have any visible flour on the surface at all. It turned stark white in the oven. Eventually the bottom started to burn, the internal temp. was right, but the upper surface was still super white. It was almost like some kind of weird reaction. Any ideas? It seems I was so ashamed I didn't take a picture... I have never had it happen before.

I have been posting a few pictures and reviews on my blog if anyone is interested.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I finally bought this book for myself at Christmas. I have been using it nearly everyday. I have loved everything I have made except the French bread.

It was the strangest thing, it went into the oven looking great. It did not have any visible flour on the surface at all. It turned stark white in the oven. Eventually the bottom started to burn, the internal temp. was right, but the upper surface was still super white. It was almost like some kind of weird reaction. Any ideas? It seems I was so ashamed I didn't take a picture... I have never had it happen before.

I have been posting a few pictures and reviews on my blog if anyone is interested.

this usually happens when you don't steam or don't steam enough. the crust doesn't have enough moisture to color properly. sometimes it is because of lack of salt in a recipe as well.

I've been making the french bread recipe once a week for the last few weeks, trying to work on my technique. Two weeks ago, I got this result.

gallery_6080_205_3838.jpg

gallery_6080_205_133864.jpg

nice bloom, but the shaping needed work.

Today I tried again,

gallery_6080_205_212255.jpg

gallery_6080_205_223122.jpg

The shaping was marginally better, but I don't think the bloom was as good. I haven't cut into these yet, but will post a pic of the crumb when I do.

I'm at a loss. I'm paying attention to the surface tension, the steam process etc and I still haven't got it right yet. :sad:

Marlene