• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Reinhart

Marcia

I am not, nor have I ever been, a bread baker. But, tonight, I did it. I cracked open my copy of the BBA and made the Pain a l'Ancienne. I was a bit nervous because when I removed the dough from the bowl after removing it from the fridge and letting it double, it seemed awfully wet. It did not hold it's shape very well, but spread out a bit.

I divided the dough in half and saved half in the fridge for trying pizza tomorrow night. I took half the dough and made two loaves, per Elie's instructions.

I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of the process. I used plenty of flour and actually got them transfered to a sheet pan lined with parchment no problem.

Water boiling, steam pan in.

Bread in. Spritz. Spritz. Sprits.

Here are my finished loaves. There is quite a bit of flour on the rear loaf.

gallery_6263_35_19599.jpg

A rather poor picture of the inside of the bread. We didn't cut it, but ripped it.

gallery_6263_35_15671.jpg

This bread was great, but I felt that the crumb was a little wet. Should it be or should I have done something different?

Second question. Anyone else here used this dough for pizza? If so, any hints on shaping?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm happy to say that the weather has cooled off enough to start baking bread again in my kitchen. A hot oven means an unbearably hot house during the summer months here. Temps are now in the high 70's to low 80's finally.

Just started the biga for the potato rosemary bread. It's a birthday present for a potato loving fellow eGulleter! I'll post photos.

One question. Has anyone embossed the tops of the bread with the fresh rosemary sprig? If so, how did it turn out? I'm trying to decide whether to do it or not.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

I'm happy to say that the weather has cooled off enough to start baking bread again in my kitchen. A hot oven means an unbearably hot house during the summer months here. Temps are now in the high 70's to low 80's finally.

Just started the biga for the potato rosemary bread. It's a birthday present for a potato loving fellow eGulleter! I'll post photos.

One question. Has anyone embossed the tops of the bread with the fresh rosemary sprig? If so, how did it turn out? I'm trying to decide whether to do it or not.

Do it, it looks pretty cool. it you want afix the sprig then "seal it" with a VERY thin piece of dough, thin enough to see the sprig through. I've done it both ways and both work fine.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Well, this is not exactly from the book but my variation on the potato rosemary bread. I used roasted butternut squash and sage insated of the potato and rosemary. I also use a little less water since the squash is "wetter" than mashed potato. It was an excellent combo

gallery_5404_94_390363.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Well, this is not exactly from the book but my variation on the potato rosemary bread. I used roasted butternut squash and sage insated of the potato and rosemary. I also use a little less water since the squash is "wetter" than mashed potato. It was an excellent combo 

Looks outstanding, Elie. I'll definitely have to try that combo.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Hi all. I just picked up my own copy of the BBA, and I'm looking forward to expanding my cooking skills into the area of bread baking. I've read the all the chapters of the book before the formulas, and I've gathered all the suggested equipment. Here's my question: is there a good "beginner bread" to try first? I've gone through the previous 307 posts on this thread (salivating all the while), but I don't think I saw this question addressed.

Any breads better than others for a beginner to start out with and build some confidence before moving on to the more difficult breads (which seem to be the sourdoughs)?

Thanks.

i love the way it turned out for you, bravo

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Sorry for the delay in posting these photos of the Potato Rosemary Bread. I made this at practically the same time as Elie did his variation which looks so delicious. I did try to emboss the rosemary sprig but without success. It didn't adhere very well but the recepient didn't seem to mind. One thing I did differently from the recipe is that I added the roasted garlic into the mix before kneading. I wanted to get good distribution of the garlic throughout the loaf. It made the dough slightly wetter but it was not a problem. I made a full recipe, creating one boule and nine dinner rolls. The boule was a gift and I did eat one of the rolls before delivering the remainder to another friend. It was very tasty. I can definitely recommend this recipe as one which even a beginner could do well.

gallery_19742_726_4380.jpg

Biga, flour, mashed potatoes, rosemary and roasted garlic ready to mix

gallery_19742_726_2285.jpg

Ready for the oven

gallery_19742_726_5153.jpg

From the oven

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Awesome, glossy. Looks like it came from a prof. bakery. That one is surely next on my list now.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Glossy- that looks perfect.

as for a beginner bread, several ones come to mind inslcuding the potato rosemary. Another one I can recommend is the "Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire" (sp?), or maybe the plain white bread loaf. the first recipe I tried from this book was the Annadama Bread. Not sure why, maybe becuase it is the very first recipe.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Awesome, glossy.  Looks like it came from a prof. bakery.  That one is surely next on my list now.

This was a most AWESOME gift! It did not last long in our house at all!!!!!!! The crust was had

a great body somewhat chewy and creamy - it toasted perfectly. The interior body was firm

yet yielded well to the teeth. Flavors jumped from the bread and she's right the garlic had a

completely even distribution balancing the potato perfectly. I did not notice the rosemary

'controversey' too busy breathing in the aroma of this piece of heaven. As she knows I am

a potato nut she also gave me 2 bags of those gorgeous Melissa's minature potates of all

colors and sizes.

Great job Glossy! You're a great friend to have! Keep on baking!!!!! a hui hou & Mele Kalikimaka :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I was browsing the B&P forum looking for something specific and stumbled on this thread. I don't have the patience to read through eleven pages of posts, so forgive me if this has already been covered. If you haven't tried Reinhart's Sticky Buns (Cinnamon Buns w/Sticky Bun frosting variation), you should. They are sublime. They would be wonderful on Christmas morning. They retard beautifully in the fridge for up to three days, so you can make them a few days ahead and simply final proof and bake Christmas morning.

Also, I am not a fan of his ciabatta recipe. I much prefer Ponsford's which can be found in Artisan Baking Across America.

My $.02.

• 2 months later...

I hope someone out there (Elie??) will see this question and help me.

I finally bought Reinhart's book and tried my first recipe last weekend - the focaccia (not the poolish version). It turned out very well, though I had to adapt it a bit because I cannot find Instant Yeast here in Charlotte. I used water at 120 degrees to proof and then added to the dry ingredients. My only issue with the bread was it was too oily. It did not absorb as much oil as the books suggested it would.

I want to make the Pain a l'Ancienne, but don't know how to convert the recipe to make up for my Active Dry yeast versus the Instant. Do I still use ice cold water and "proof" before adding to the flour? Or do I proof in warm water, chill it and then add to the dry ingredients? Or, do I postpone this recipe until I can order instant yeast online?

I hope someone out there (Elie??) will see this question and help me.

I finally bought Reinhart's book and tried my first recipe last weekend - the focaccia (not the poolish version).  It turned out very well, though I had to adapt it a bit because I cannot find Instant Yeast here in Charlotte.  I used water at 120 degrees to proof and then added to the dry ingredients.  My only issue with the bread was it was too oily.  It did not absorb as much oil as the books suggested it would.

I want to make the Pain a l'Ancienne, but don't know how to convert the recipe to make up for my Active Dry yeast versus the Instant.  Do I still use ice cold water and "proof" before adding to the flour?  Or do I proof in warm water, chill it and then add to the dry ingredients?  Or, do I postpone this recipe until I can order instant yeast online?

To convert recipes calling for instant yeast to active dry yeast, multiply the quantity by 1.25

Have fun with BBA, lots of great stuff there.

BTW, 120 degrees F is a little bit warm for proofing yeast, you take a risk of killing off some yeast cells at that high a temperature. Try to keep it to about 112 - 115 F, you'll be safer there.

I want to make the Pain a l'Ancienne, but don't know how to convert the recipe to make up for my Active Dry yeast versus the Instant.  Do I still use ice cold water and "proof" before adding to the flour?  Or do I proof in warm water, chill it and then add to the dry ingredients?  Or, do I postpone this recipe until I can order instant yeast online?

Hmmm, really a good question. I think I'd proof in the warm water, and then chill.... He clearly wants to keep everything cold. I was leaning towards just throwing the yeast into the flour without proofing, but... you want to disolve the yeast due to the size of the grains... so I'll vote for proofing and chilling.

Hmmm, really a good question. I think I'd proof in the warm water, and then chill.... He clearly wants to keep everything cold. I was leaning towards just throwing the yeast into the flour without proofing, but... you want to disolve the yeast due to the size of the grains... so I'll vote for proofing and chilling.

I had the same problem. I proofed the yeast in a small amount of warm water and added to the rest of the ingredients (I think I used about a 1/3 cup of warm water + yeast). I didn't wait for the mixture to cool down, I figured it wouldn't elevate the overall temp too much. The bread came out fine, but I guess to truely know how it effects the outcome you would have to do a side by side experiment.

I went through the same analysis in my head, but I was also saying to my self if the yeast is dry but active, all it really needs is to get rehydrated and it will start being active again from its dormant state. so what I did was I met the idea halfway, instead of using room temp water. I used warm water. like at 100-104*F and the instruction usually calls to mix all the dry ingredients first then add the liquid. This time I left the yeast sprinkled on one corner of the bowl on top of the flour(i made a little dent in the flour to put the yeast, then I add the liquid directly to it, it dissolves at a reaonable pace, but you will still have a little bit of the undissolved grains, but in the end they get incorporated either ways. so i went did that, and my bread still turned out ok, considering the fact that after mixing the dough, i let it retard in the fridge for almost a day, then the next day i turned the dough again and still didnt have time to bake it, so another day in the fridge, then finally i did, although after shaping I had to let it proof for about 2 hrs, figured 1 hr to warm up to room temp, and the next hour is to produce enough CO2 pockets for the rise. the bread (ciabatta) turned out well. that was my first succesful bread.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I made the casatiello. Instead of the suggested salami and provolone, I used a mixture of Armandino Batali's guanciale and cinnamon pancetta for the meat, and combined a raw milk Manchego and Le Marechal for the cheese. As you can see, I baked it in small pannetone papers to make individual servings.

gallery_16307_2558_35960.jpg

Here's the dough ready to go into the oven

gallery_16307_2558_34922.jpg

after baking

gallery_16307_2558_27831.jpg

while still meltingly hot

gallery_16307_2558_53535.jpg

and when cool enough to slice. I'm supposed to take these to a friend's dinner tonight, but it's awfully hard to be sure they'll last until then! It's all about the meat and cheese you put in, so I say, use the best and most flavorful stuff you can find. A delicious recipe.

I have not read very entry on this thread - a lot of info here!

I bought B w/ the BBA a couple of months ago. Prior to the book, the yeast products I have tried have turned out decent (French bread from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything) or abysmal (all pizza dough and pita I make is tough).

The first recipe I tried in BBA was the foccacia (not the biga version) and my family loved it. It was a tad oily for us, but the crumb was perfect. I was good and followed the directions correctly.

The next recipe was for the pain ancienne. Again, thumbs up. Half of the dough went to making pizza - the first decent pizza crust produced in this kitchen in 14 years!

This past weekend, I tried the ciabatta (biga version). Foggy brained from emergency surgery a week before (I refuse to blame it on my age!), I made numerous mistakes, misreading directions multiple times. I plowed ahead, refusing to toss the dough, and while it still turned out well (my husband and kids really liked it) I found it a little doughy tasting. I cannot fault the recipe since I failed to follow directions properly. I will make this again, but I want to keep experimenting.

I have vowed to try a new recipe each week. Will those of you more familiar with the book suggest which to try next? We are not big sweet bread people here. What are your savory favorites?

Thanks!

I have a how-to question. Last night, when others of the little casatiello breads were opened, the distribution of the meat was quite uneven, with some having very little meat in them. I just tossed the meat and cheese bits into the KA and stirred them into the dough. For better distribution, should I be envelope-folding the solids in, or what?

I have not read very entry on this thread - a lot of info here! 

I bought B w/ the BBA a couple of months ago.  Prior to the book, the yeast products I have tried have turned out decent (French bread from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything) or abysmal (all pizza dough and  pita I make is tough).

The first recipe I tried in BBA was the foccacia (not the biga version) and my family loved it.  It was a tad oily for us, but the crumb was perfect.  I was good and followed the directions correctly.

The next recipe was for the pain ancienne.  Again, thumbs up.  Half of the dough went to making pizza - the first decent pizza crust produced in this kitchen in 14 years!

This past weekend, I tried the ciabatta (biga version).  Foggy brained from emergency surgery a week before (I refuse to blame it on my age!), I made numerous mistakes, misreading directions multiple times.  I plowed ahead, refusing to toss the dough, and while it still turned out well (my husband and kids really liked it) I found it a little doughy tasting.  I cannot fault the recipe since I failed to follow directions properly.  I will make this again, but I want to keep experimenting.

I have vowed to try a new recipe each week.  Will those of you more familiar with the book suggest which to try next?  We are not big sweet bread people here.  What are your savory favorites?

Thanks!

Pan de Campagne (sp?) is one of my favorites. Others include the Pane Pugliese and the now very famous (in this thread) Potato Rosemary bread. Just to name a few.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have a how-to question.  Last night, when others of the little casatiello breads were opened, the distribution of the meat was quite uneven, with some having very little meat in them.  I just tossed the meat and cheese bits into the KA and stirred them into the dough.  For better distribution, should I be envelope-folding the solids in, or what?

Abra, these breads look sinfully good! For a better distribution I would definitly knead it for a couple of minutes by hand towards the end.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog