• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day is right around the corner...

hitmanoo

I was considering making a reservation to Wish in West Orange, but before I did that, I thought I'd find out what some other people thought.

Any ideas?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

about going out on monday if you can find someplace open? or about the place itself?

v.d. is the freaking worst day to go out. johnnybird and i will celebrate the day before (and i guess some in the njforum are going out to the chinese new year celebration). have to check if i have to work sunday. if not.....

but i will pack a special meal and some treats for the birdy for work on the day :biggrin:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tough crowd!

thanks for the link, rosie.

not really my choice to celebrate valentine's day on the day itself. very much a hallmark holiday, if you ask me. however, my wife is sentimental about such things so...

...I'll most likely be going out on Mon night--for reasons... I digress. Any thoughts or suggestioins?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

You'll probably get a lot more action if you take the money you would spend on a dinner out and use it to buy a bottle of Champagne (that's Champagne, as in "the real thing"), some long-stemmed strawberries, and some good chocolate that melts at body temperature. Leave the restos to the amateurs.

I appreciate all of the non-restaurant related advice, I really do. But the restaurant thing is going to happen--I accept what is out of my control.

That being said, any restaurant advice?

Believe me, I'm capable of cooking a fantastic and romantic dinner for two and going all out at home, but...

point well-taken hitmanoo.

i've been to Amanda's in hoboken on VD proper, and it was decent enough. not as good as usual, but i suppose you might consider a top-notch restaurant if any at all. on the other side of the spectrum, take suzannef's advice, grab a bottle of champagne that you normally wouldn't buy, and go to Little Saigon in Montclair for a feast of a lifetime.

on the other other side is to get yourself into NYC and do something like One if by Land. or someplace similar that you'd likely never go to except for on such an occasion. i've done that as well and had a memorable evening.

best of luck. and make ressies fast.!

(and i bet lreda can get you into an american grilll and give you a night you won't forget)

Edited by tommy (log)

Come on now people. Most of you all get on the same banter about how we in the business use these occasions to (1) Rip you off. (2) Find every way to take advantage of our customers on holidays and (3) Provide inadequate meals while under pressure. I've got more pet peeves that I've heard but I'll keep it short.

Let's take a look at this year, V-Day falls on a Monday. What restaurant doesn't look forward to filling the house 2 times. You bring in the weekend staff and they're walking out at midnight with $250 plus. Not a bad Monday for the staff.

This holiday is for couples. For a restaurant this isn't Saturday, we don't have to hold up dueces to send out that party of 16. Dueces flow. My guys in the back get to sneak out for a beer and a smoke behind the restaurant. It's a easy night and we even glam it up, do couple dishes, it's a fun night. ( Long as you have someone to go home to :biggrin: )

For a final thought, those of you that post here are educated about which places to go. You all know which are the serious places Most of you can cook and might decide to stay home and have a romantic evening, that's great, wish I could but I'll be working and trying to provide my customers with a great dining experience. Hopefully after they'll all getta little something something.

What do you have planned at your place, Lou?

I have a res at Fascino. No doubt I'll love it.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I have a res at Fascino.  No doubt I'll love it.

just checked reservations online. only 5:30 and 9:30 available. better make a res soon!

Come on now people. Most of you all get on the same banter about how we in the business use these occasions to (1) Rip you off. (2) Find every way to take advantage of our customers on holidays and (3) Provide inadequate meals while under pressure. I've got more pet peeves that I've heard but I'll keep it short.

lou- i would NEVER think this of you. :shock: i just don't enjoy all the rush, crush and noise. that's why i prefer lunch most days at the bar :rolleyes:. if we do go out we rarely if ever go out on the weekend.

i wonder how many places normally dark on monday are going to be open to pick up the extra?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I have a res at Fascino.  No doubt I'll love it.

just checked reservations online. only 5:30 and 9:30 available. better make a res soon!

Thanks for checking hitmanoo. I did already make a reservation last week. We are seated at 9pm. Anyone else going to be there?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Ahem...

Valentine's Day is my Birthday...

I finally learned back somewhere in my twenties never, never, never go out for dinner on my damn birthday.

That year my date had a birthday on February thirteenth so we went out both nights. Her birthday rocked and mine sucked: over-booked restaurant, kitchen in the weeds, surly waitstaff that refused to let me order dessert! Basically everything Lreda et al warned us about. So I just don't do it. I plan a really good dinner at home.

One year, I had nothing planned and had no date. I went downtown and hit a couple of bars. I met this terrific lady with whom I seemed to have a lot in common with. About an hour or two into our gabfest, it turns out Valentines Day is her birthday too! I didn't believe it and demanded to see her drivers license. Sure enough, it was. We decided to go out for dinner and had a fantastic time! I drove her home and never saw her again.

Fast forward 20-odd years and, well... um... as of last year, Valentine's day is now my wedding anniversary too. :wacko:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...
Since we are working on Monday we are celebrating on Sunday....

We are trying La Tartuferia in Hoboken.....I heaven't heard much talk here about them....anyone ever been?

I quoted them on The Best of 2004 thread as one of my favs! If they still have the truffle creme brulee save room.

I have never had a bad meal there. Last time I had the lamb stew with truffles and it was fantastic! If you are a truffle maniac you will love this place!

So what's on tap for V day at your place. Ill be there at 9. Give me a hint. :biggrin:

Since we are working on Monday we are celebrating on Sunday....

We are trying La Tartuferia in Hoboken.....I heaven't heard much talk here about them....anyone ever been?

A friend with a VERY respectable palate has told me time and time again that this is his favorite place in northern NJ (and yes--GULP--he's been to Fascino). His fiancee is from Italy and they say that nothing beats it and that every time they go back it's even better than they remembered.

I'll be very curious to hear your comments after you go and I hope you'll start a thread on the place. Enjoy!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Luckily my significant other would be happy with a bowl of Chef Boy-ar-dee SpaghettiOs - so no going out on VD for us.

I was considering making a reservation to Wish in West Orange, but before I did that, I thought I'd find out what some other people thought.

Any ideas?

Have you been to Wish yet? The online menu looks good. I think there are about five of us within a couple miles of that place.

scarlet knight's/Rosie's Wish recommendations will get me there soon.

Luckily my significant other would be happy with a bowl of Chef Boy-ar-dee SpaghettiOs - so no going out on VD for us.

Any ideas?

Have you been to Wish yet? The online menu looks good. I think there are about five of us within a couple miles of that place.

scarlet knight's/Rosie's Wish recommendations will get me there soon.

I have not yet been to wish, and I found the menu interesting. I'll be sure to give a review of my Valentine's Day experience. Wish I could try it for the first time on a different day.