• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bachelor dinner

I'm getting married on Saturday and I'm trying to decide on a place to go to dinner with my best man and a friend tomorrow night (not really a bachelor party -- I'm not looking for something crazy). We'll probably go somewhere downtown, since they're staying there. Any suggestions? I can figure something out, but I'm curious what you folks would recommend.

what are you looking for (aside from "not crazy"?) price? manly atmosphere? great wine? good beer? any dietary restrictions?

i love the brooklyn for oysters and a clubby east-coast atmosphere. out-of-towners love it too, though anyone actually from the east coast will get oyster sticker shock :hmmm: ...many people swear by the Met for great steaks and wine...i love the bar at Union - less formal than the main room with no prix fixe pressure (real or imagined by me). I've also had nothing but excellent service there.

Brasa is fun and festive...

your message implies that you're the groom - if so - congratulations!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

what are you looking for (aside from "not crazy"?) price? manly atmosphere? great wine? good beer? any dietary restrictions?

I'm pretty open, really. Until a month ago, I lived in Belltown, so I know a lot of the restaurants on the north end of downtown (and will likely choose one of them), but I was kind of curious for a "brainstorm" kind of response. Basically, where would you go for a similar occasion?

There is actually one vegetarian with us, but he eats fish and I've never been anywhere with him that didn't have something he'd eat. Even The Met, with its focus squarely on beef, has several things I'm sure he'd like.

I've always thought Zoe was kind of a feminine place - but looked around last week and realized there were a lot of men dining together.

Palace Kitchen or another Douglas place might be fun - and different for out of towners.

Tango?

I think you should have a cocktail at ZigZag before dinner. :smile:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I would add Buenos Aires Grill to the list, the meat is well executed I think and it certainly seems like a fairly masculine sort of place. Another fun place might be a Teppanyaki place, like Nara Grill, couple guys, beers, a big grill, knives flying, what's not to like, and it's across the street from the Palace Kitchen and its bar.

Rocky

Let me first say congratulations! Second, I also recommend El Gaucho, the Met, or Morton's. A big manly hunk of beef is the ticket!

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the honeymoon (Maui), so I thought I'd quickly follow up.

We ended up going to Etta's. Not a terribly adventurous choice, but I was in a seafood mood and it was good.

Thanks for the ideas!