• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fancy Foods Show (merged)

tanabutler

I go the FFS about every other year -- finding that attending every year becomes too redundant. I was there last year so am taking a sabbatical in 2005...

Report back though! Let us know if you find anything exceptional!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info..

I will be coming from Italy to teach at Ramekins, Dreagers and doing a SLow Food event in Marin.

I haven't been to the food show in over 10 years so will be interesting!

Great to know about the Dine about town!Looks like I'll hit A16 for the lunch special!

Edited by divina (log)

I'll be there all week (in SF Sat through Thurs).

at the GourmetFoodMall.com booth #1081.

Is there anything to eat in San Francisco? I know it's not New Orleans, so my hopes aren't too high, but surely there must be someplace decent. :raz::laugh:

I will also be making some sort of attempt at documenting the thing online, and I take terrible photos, so if any of you have cameras there and feel link emailing me the photos, I will be glad to include them in the thread. I look forward to putting some faces on some of the text I have been reading for the past couple of years.

Brooks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Is there anything to eat in San Francisco? I know it's not New Orleans, so my hopes aren't too high, but surely there must be someplace decent. :raz:  :laugh:

I will also be making some sort of attempt at documenting the thing online, and I take terrible photos, so if any of you have cameras there and feel link emailing me the photos, I will be glad to include them in the thread. I look forward to putting some faces on some of the text I have been reading for the past couple of years.

Brooks

They won't let you take pictures in there, unfortunately, Brooks.

Is there anything to eat in San Francisco? I know it's not New Orleans, so my hopes aren't too high, but surely there must be someplace decent. :raz:  :laugh:

Brooks

i'm pretty sure cameras are banned. is that naive of me? i mean, i know there are camera phones (and shoe phones---yes, i watched "Get Smart"), but i've never seen anyone taking photos there, tho it would be very handy.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I would really like to go and check it out... but I am not a "pro." Can I still go?

Anyone can go -- you kinda have to make up a food-related company that you work for (you are consultant or something!). The biggest draw back is that it is expensive to attend...

Nah -- nothing good to eat here. Bring some pralines and Cafe Du Monde and rough it out! :raz:

...Is there anything to eat in San Francisco? ...

Well you're in luck! There is now a Hooters near the wharf, if you are looking for some wings.

In the mood for Mexican food? Try Chevy's in the Embarcadero Center #2.

How about a hamburger? We have some of the finest McDonald's stores around!

Brooks, feel free to contact me for more recommendations. I have plenty.

...Is there anything to eat in San Francisco? ...

Well you're in luck! There is now a Hooters near the wharf, if you are looking for some wings.

In the mood for Mexican food? Try Chevy's in the Embarcadero Center #2.

How about a hamburger? We have some of the finest McDonald's stores around!

Brooks, feel free to contact me for more recommendations. I have plenty.

and starbucks--don't forget them! the hotel we stayed in last time literally had TWO starbucks across the street. i wonder how customers choose between them?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Nah -- nothing good to eat here. Bring some pralines and Cafe Du Monde and rough it out! :raz:

Good thinking! I will, of course, be prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.

Brooks

You can always go over to Berkeley and visit Chez Panisse! It isn't that far.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

My dad is actually an exhibitor at this and I was planning on finding out what I should get him to source for me. He's going to be there for the week, but of course will be working, so he won't have that much free time. What is a MUST for him to bring home? He is willing to stuff his suitcase for me :biggrin:

I'm going! It's a lot of fun. I always try to write a review of the show and the trends I see on my site.

You have to be careful not to eat everything in sight because not all of it is that great to begin with and eating mustard + chocolate + olives + jam + cheese + vinegar = tummy ache! I find it best to eat only the savory stuff then go back for the sweets.

Also if you are not an exhibitor you are prevented from taking samples off the show floor so you have to be very sneaky if you want to smuggle stuff home!

Edited by cookingwithamy (log)

Brooks

Although I wouldn't consider SF to be one of the great restaurant cities. It's a fun place to eat out. You don't get any of the attitude, even at the better places, that you might in LA or NYC. The last time I was with there I was with the kids so we did alot of kid friendly dining. If you get hungry during the show, the Metreon has a food court. There a place called "Long life noodles" in there that serves some pretty tasty stuff. Union street has a great pizza place, I can't remember what it's called, but it's a landmark. I think that SF's chinatown can be a bit of a crap shoot for outsiders. I had some pretty good Spanish Paella on Lombard street, near Octavio stree (I think?). It's the only Spanish restaurant in that area so it should be easy to find. I can't recommend the Wharf for food, but it's great fun for kids.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I'm in 1081 if anyone wants to come interrupt me. I tire easily of repeating myself over and over again. I could use a break.

No shortage of stuff to eat here. You can graze for days (or daze, I suppose). Fascinating array of stuff. Good business, too.