• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin

therdogg

Ha ha! Why does this thread already remind me of a Saturday Night Live character?

And why do I have this urge to compare Barbra Streisand to "butta"??? And in reference to another thread, I wonder if she's more like salted or unsalted?????

:raz::raz::raz:

Ok, I'll start the discussion.

I did the whole fresh pumpkin thing last year.....we were growing a ton of the things in our garden out behind the deli. I had sheet pans upon sheet pans of pumpkin cooking and cooling.

I mashed and pureed like a madwoman.....and then set it in big colanders to drain off. I have found that if you do use fresh pumpkin, you should drain it a bit, or it's just too watery and weak tasting when you go to make pies or what-have-you.

I thought for sure after all that FUN work, I should have the most superior freshy fresh tasting punkin' pie ever.....since I used garden grown punkin' and everything.

I'll tell you what. I didn't taste a darn bit o'difference and neither did anybody else. Too much

work for not enough improvement, if at all. For commercial purposes, stick with canned pumpkin.

If ya wanna give it a go at home for the fun and experience, go for it! But not for work....I'm back to Libby's Libby's Libby's this year! :smile:

Canned pumpkin is one of those things America does well. I've put in my time prepping watery pumpkins and squash, risking dismemberment.

Buy the can. Heck, I wish Libby's would would branch out to canned butternut.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

persoanlly i prefer fresh and i have my own techniques for making it not so watery...sure there might not be any difference in taste but there are some things that i really prefer not to have preservatives in and this is one of them...thats just my personal preference

a recipe is merely a suggestion

persoanlly i prefer fresh and i have my own techniques for making it not so watery...sure there might not be any difference in taste but there are some things that i really prefer not to have preservatives in and this is one of them...thats just my personal preference

Looky here dear.

No preservatives....just pumpkin.

Edited by chefpeon (log)

Also, if you use fresh pumpkin, there are varieties out there that are better and worse for eating. i.e. the regular jack o lantern pumpkins are not the best for eating. I think one of the more easily available "eating pumpkin" varieties is called sugar pumpkin.

(I've sidestepped this "dilemma" by switching to sweet potato pies...)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm with fiftydollars. Fresh butternut squash. Been doing it for years. People who don't like pumpkin pie LOVE mine. Of course, technically, it isnt' pumpkin...

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

persoanlly i  prefer  fresh  and i have  my own  techniques  for  making  it not so watery...sure  there might not  be  any difference in  taste  but  there are  some things  that  i really prefer  not to have  preservatives in and this is  one of them...thats  just  my personal  preference

there are no preservatives in canned pumpkin. it's preserved by the canning process.

But now I'm all psyched up to try butternut squash pie: anybody have a recipe?

Um, yes.

You take your favorite punkin' pie recipe and substitute butternut squash for the punkin'.

Easy!

And a good question was raised in this thread.....why DON'T they can butternut squash?

I totally agree with the butternut squash thing. WAY better than punkin'....hands down.

I'm a total squash fanatic - I probably eat my weight in winter squash every winter, and my weight is, ahem, not inconsiderable. I also do my pies from fresh (caveat: not a commercial baker) and have some words of wisdom to share. First, a picture:

gallery_16307_215_1106323448.jpg

In addition to the more common Sugar Baby or Sugar Pie pumpkins (never use those big pumpkins, they are watery and stringy beyond redemption) there are a couple of other wonderful squashes to use. The dark orange squash at the top is called Long Pie Pumpkin, and produces the sweetest puree I've ever had, with a rich, velvety texture. I even had to reduce the sugar in the pies this year, the puree was so sweet on its own. The texture of the puree is beyond compare - if you can find some, get them! The lighter one is a Pink Banana Squash, which also makes a superior pie that's smooth and sweet, and it's easier to find.

I also find that a key thing to do is roast the squash - no steaming or boiling. I even just roast them whole, then scoop out the seeds when the squash is tender. That way there's no scary knife work with the tough exterior, no dried-out cut edge, and no added water or oil. Once roasted the squash purees right up, no draining needed, and you're on your way.

Thanks for the input. I use canned pumpkin with no ill effect. A friend recently said she didn't "like" pies made with canned pumpkin but I wondered if anyone could really tell the difference; after all maybe she's only made her pies with fresh and she just doesn't like anyone else's pies, which could also taste bad for a variety of other reasons (crust, spices, etc). :raz:

I found this link from Cooks Illustrated e-letter, which includes a section on pumpkin tasting: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ft2/articl...=4761&bdc=57132

Anyone else do a tasting using the same recipe, but with canned vs. fresh? Or butternut squash vs. canned pumpkin? Just curious.