• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santa Fe Restaurant recs

Another couple of additions:

Saigon Cafe: I love the Vietnamese food here. It's always fresh, Always pretty fast and it's basically a diner with a very diner like attitude. Try the egg rolls, they are the best I've ever had, anywhere. The Canh Chua is good and comes in a huge bowl. Remember to order a side of limes/cilantro/shiso/bean sprouts if you get a soup. Is it authentic? I have no idea. I've never been to Vietnam. I do know that a lot of my friends make it a point to go there once a week or so. Oh, and it's cheap. Eat lunch there.

Maria's: I haven't eaten there at all. We had fantastic margaritas there the other night. Expect to pay for your margarita though, we had 2 margaritas and the bill was $33 + tip. Not bad at all if you love your liquor, but some people get sticker shock. You can order $50 margaritas there. I love tequila, so if you can spend it... do it. All my Santa Fean friends say this is THE place for margaritas so go there to drink and go elsewhere to eat. From what I've seen, I agree.

Maria's: I haven't eaten there at all. We had fantastic margaritas there the other night. Expect to pay for your margarita though, we had 2 margaritas and the bill was $33 + tip. Not bad at all if you love your liquor, but some people get sticker shock. You can order $50 margaritas there. I love tequila, so if you can spend it... do it. All my Santa Fean friends say this is THE place for margaritas so go there to drink and go elsewhere to eat. From what I've seen, I agree.

Maria's has an extensive tequila collection but, in my opinion, a margarita should be made with freshly squeezed lime juice, which you won't get at Maria's. They make their margaritas with lemon juice.

KathyM

Maria's has an extensive tequila collection but, in my opinion, a margarita should be made with freshly squeezed lime juice, which you won't get at Maria's.  They make their margaritas with lemon juice.

Good to know.

What places in town serve with totally fresh squeezed lime? I know Lazy Dog does...

Maria's has an extensive tequila collection but, in my opinion, a margarita should be made with freshly squeezed lime juice, which you won't get at Maria's.  They make their margaritas with lemon juice.

Good to know.

What places in town serve with totally fresh squeezed lime? I know Lazy Dog does...

Not sure. I drink it straight.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner at La Boca for our Anniversary Dinner:

We did the tasting menu at La Boca.

5 Courses with wine parings:

1. Grilled Asparagus wrapped in Smoked Salmon with Goat Cheese, Capers and Pickled Red Onions.

Wine was a Verdejo.

2. 3 Sausages: Morcilla with a Piquillo Pepper Sauce, Pork & Fennel with a Pomegranate Sauce, Spanish Chorizo with a Quince Paste. Pickled Peppers.

Wine: A Dry Muscat and Gewürztraminer blend.

3. Crab and Scallop Cannelloni in a Manchego Sauce, Stuffed with sage. Topped with Fried Sage.

Wine: Burgans Albarino

4. Pan Seared Steak {Flap Steak I think} with Smoked Salt, Smoked Paprika in a Caramel Sauce.

Wine: [This was a Spanish Red, very strong coco and caramel finish with a tannic start]

5: Cabrales Cheese with Dried Mission Figs in a Saffron Honey.

Wine: Muscatel

We had Espresso with lemon after dinner.

I'm looking to stay at La Posada end of March for a birthday treat and will have at least one meal on the premises, no price constraints.

Is Fuego or the Staab worth it, even if it's not on my own dime? :-)

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Dinner at La Boca for ourAnniversary Dinner:

Looks good on paper. Did it taste good too? Any favorites on this list?

Yeah. Sorry about that, I posted and intended to come back and put in more information... and then I forgot.

1. Grilled Asparagus wrapped in Smoked Salmon with Goat Cheese, Capers and Pickled Red Onions.

Wine was a Verdejo.

My least favourite of the meal, not because it wasn't good, but because it was so... plain. Very good, but I make it at home just as well.

2. 3 Sausages: Morcilla with a Piquillo Pepper Sauce, Pork & Fennel with a Pomegranate Sauce, Spanish Chorizo with a Quince Paste. Pickled Peppers.

Wine: A Dry Muscat and Gewürztraminer blend.

The sausages they use here are excellent. I'm not sure where they get them or if they are made in house. I suspect that they are made in house, but I have no real reason to believe that other than the fact that they always seem a cut above what I get. The wine they used was also quite good and something I'm trying to get my wine guy to pick up for me.

3. Crab and Scallop Cannelloni in a Manchego Sauce, Stuffed with sage. Topped with Fried Sage.

Wine: Burgans Albarino

This was actually my favourite of the meal. The scallops were perfectly tender, the sauce was incredibly rich but not overwhelming, the sage went well and wasn't overdone. Albarino is one of my favourite whites and I found that it complimented the seafood perfectly.

4. Pan Seared Steak {Flap Steak I think} with Smoked Salt, Smoked Paprika in a Caramel Sauce.

Wine: [This was a Spanish Red, very strong coco and caramel finish with a tannic start]

This whole menu was a bit more brute force flavour than the last one I had here, but once again, everything was excellent. The steak was perfect temperature and the caramel sauce was delicious. I still need to go back and ask about this wine because I forgot to write down what it was.

5: Cabrales Cheese with Dried Mission Figs in a Saffron Honey.

Wine: Muscatel

A nice desert. I would rather have cheese and figs for desert than creme brulee or pot de creme any day.

We had Espresso with lemon after dinner.

• 2 months later...

It's looking like three nights and two lunches in Santa Fe in a few months. One of my dinners needs to be relatively early, as I have tickets to the opera.

I would appreciate input. The only places I've bothered to research so far are the usual suspects:

Cafe Pasqual's (brunch, I hear, is better than dinner)

Geronimo

Coyote Cafe

La Boca (would this be good for a pre-theater dinner?)

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

It's looking like three nights and two lunches in Santa Fe in a few months.  One of my dinners needs to be relatively early, as I have tickets to the opera. 

I would appreciate input.  The only places I've bothered to research so far are the usual suspects:

Geronimo

Coyote Cafe

For upscale, I would try Trattoria Nostrani, just don't wear fragrance as they have a no fragrance policy which they strictly enforce. In my opinion, this is some of the best food in Santa Fe. I was in town two weeks ago and tried Coyote Cafe and was very dissapointed. In fact, it was downright bad.

Also, for traditional New Mexican food, it is hard to beat the Shed or Tia Sophia's. Both are a little touristy, but the food is very traditional and spot on.

La Boca would be a good pre-theater dinner -- just make sure you have reservations or you may be waiting for a table.

Edited by bobag87 (log)

It's looking like three nights and two lunches in Santa Fe in a few months.  One of my dinners needs to be relatively early, as I have tickets to the opera. 

I would appreciate input.  The only places I've bothered to research so far are the usual suspects:

Geronimo

Coyote Cafe

For upscale, I would try Trattoria Nostrani, just don't wear fragrance as they have a no fragrance policy which they strictly enforce. In my opinion, this is some of the best food in Santa Fe. I was in town two weeks ago and tried Coyote Cafe and was very dissapointed. In fact, it was downright bad.

Also, for traditional New Mexican food, it is hard to beat the Shed or Tia Sophia's. Both are a little touristy, but the food is very traditional and spot on.

La Boca would be a good pre-theater dinner -- just make sure you have reservations or you may be waiting for a table.

It never ceases to amaze me how neglectful restaurant's are of their websites. Geronimo, for example, has not updated their online menus since last year.

Meanwhile, neither Trattoria Nostrani nor La Boca have a working website at all; the links are broken.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I was in town two weeks ago and tried Coyote Cafe and was very dissapointed.  In fact, it was downright bad.

What was so disappointing (or "downright bad") about Coyote Cafe?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I was in town two weeks ago and tried Coyote Cafe and was very dissapointed.  In fact, it was downright bad.

What was so disappointing (or "downright bad") about Coyote Cafe?

They offered me a 5 course "chef's menu." Honestly, I had a great "signature cocktail" and the first two courses (Lobster Bisque and French Toast (savory) with Morrells, were decent. That was followed by a huge seafood course that had softshell crab on a bed of potato salad and a lobster tail on a bed of warm caesar salad. The combinations were in general bad and the food was not cooked well. This was followed with the spare rib on red pepper risotto. Again another huge portion of food, but the risotto was like paste and the rib was extremely stringy. Desert was also bad. I will say that the wine pairings were decent, but the total cost was quite high, even for an upscale restaurant in Santa Fe. I had high hopes and it came highly recommended, but I was very disappointed.

Other than price and level of "fanciness" of the food, what is the difference between Coyote Cafe the restaurant as opposed to the "cantina?" Is the cantina in the same location as the restaurant? Is it open for lunch? Is one more reliable/enjoyable than the other?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Other than price and level of "fanciness" of the food, what is the difference between Coyote Cafe the restaurant as opposed to the "cantina?"  Is the cantina in the same location as the restaurant?  Is it open for lunch?  Is one more reliable/enjoyable than the other?

I have not been to the Cantina in some time. It is right next to the restaurant on the roof. The Cantina's food in the past was more bar type food and was always good for casual food. The drinks there were always decent, and as I note above, the actual restaurant served me a good cocktail (a deconstructed manhattan). They had a large menu of signature cocktails. Many of which looked quite interesting. My guess is, for a casual meal, the Cantina would be worth the effort. I cannot however, recommend the restaurant based on my last visit.

For what it is worth, I note that Trattoria's website has been overhauled and is now working.

It's been overhauled, perhaps, but it's barely working. Most of the links are not hot.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

For what it is worth, I note that Trattoria's website has been overhauled and is now working.

It's been overhauled, perhaps, but it's barely working. Most of the links are not hot.

I guess I just opened it and looked at the menu. The menu links worked for me. Hopefully, you will be able to take a pass through it. It is a controversial place in SF. Most of this is due to the strictly enforced "no fragrance policy." The owner is a bit of a character from Brooklyn and some people are not fans of his or how he enforces the policy, but he has always treated me well when I have dined there. He also has provided decent wine selections from a fairly extensive Itallian focused list. All of this aside, I think the food is truly fantastic, especially the pastas. The chef has remained with the restaurant, which is unusual in Santa Fe. She deserves a lot of credit for creating great Italian food in a climate where everyone wants to focus on Southwestern. It looks to me that the pricing has been scaled back some. I know in January, he had reworked the menu to make prices more reasonable due to the economy. It is still not a cheap meal, but one I have always found to be worth it.

I guess I just opened it and looked at the menu. The menu links worked for me. Hopefully, you will be able to take a pass through it. It is a controversial place in SF. Most of this is due to the strictly enforced "no fragrance policy." The owner is a bit of a character from Brooklyn and some people are not fans of his or how he enforces the policy, but he has always treated me well when I have dined there. He also has provided decent wine selections from a fairly extensive Itallian focused list. All of this aside, I think the food is truly fantastic, especially the pastas. The chef has remained with the restaurant, which is unusual in Santa Fe. She deserves a lot of credit for creating great Italian food in a climate where everyone wants to focus on Southwestern. It looks to me that the pricing has been scaled back some. I know in January, he had reworked the menu to make prices more reasonable due to the economy. It is still not a cheap meal, but one I have always found to be worth it.

I've never gone to the restaurant, mostly because I've been told by a number of friends in the food/wine industry in the area that the owner is one of the biggest a$$holes in town. He apparently has been quite a bully towards people in the industry who were simply unsuspecting friends, and I've personally seen him be beyond sleezy to young women (and women in general). Supposedly the fragrance policy is his way of being able to do whatever he wants in his restaurant. If he doesn't like you, he simply kicks you out and cites the no fragrance policy. In all honesty, the policy makes sense (I never wear fragrances of any sort, nor do I wear products that are fragrant), but his implementation is suspect.

That being said, I've been told that the chef is possibly the most skilled in town, and it is likely that my curiosity will outweigh my dislike of Eric's actions.

I've never gone to the restaurant, mostly because I've been told by a number of friends in the food/wine industry in the area that the owner is one of the biggest a$$holes in town. He apparently has been quite a bully towards people in the industry who were simply unsuspecting friends, and I've personally seen him be beyond sleezy to young women (and women in general). Supposedly the fragrance policy is his way of being able to do whatever he wants in his restaurant. If he doesn't like you, he simply kicks you out and cites the no fragrance policy. In all honesty, the policy makes sense (I never wear fragrances of any sort, nor do I wear products that are fragrant), but his implementation is suspect.

That being said, I've been told that the chef is possibly the most skilled in town, and it is likely that my curiosity will outweigh my dislike of Eric's actions.

Regardless, the man needs to fix his website. I just popped on there again. It's still broken. Part of the menu shows (there are actually two templates that show, if you look at the navigation), and the wine list pulls up (although that puts you at a dead end page), but the rest of the site doesn't seem to be hot.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...

We spent the weekend in Santa Fe and had dinner at Trattoria Nostrani last night. We all arrived (fragrance free) and sat down to a wonderful meal. The owner suggested that we just put ourselves in his and chef Maltezos' hands. The wines selected were good (all Italian with a chardonay for the first courses and a chianti thereafter). Friends with us spotted a bottle that they fell in love with years ago which they had not seen on any other wine list and had to have it as well. [Needless to say the wine bill was a little expensive due to quantity, and skewed the overall bill. The price on food I found to be quite resonable for the quality and the owner has noted to me in the past that in these economic times he has scaled down the menu pricing while serving some exceptional specials that may come at a premium.] The owner also sent out a 1/2 bottle of delicious white sparkling desert wine as well. Good thing we were not driving. I wish I paid more attention to the wine we were served, but I simply enjoyed them and did not write down the specifics. However, lets get to the important part (not that wine is not important), the food.

We were started off with a simple selection of red and yellow tomatoes from the restaurant's garden in back. The owner showed us a tomato from the garden, clearly taking pride in the produce that they were producing. The tomatoes were served quartered, with a piece of house made fresh mozzeralla. Sprinkled with olive oil, salt and pepper (the perfect amount of seasoning), this was a simple, but delicious off menu start to the meal. Look, nothing about this dish was complicated or difficult. However, it speaks volumes about why I have always felt this is some of the best food in SF. They took top notch ingredients and let them speak. The seasoning was perfect, the cheese was outstanding and our friends (who are definitely not big "foodies") were shocked that something so simple could be such a great start to a big time meal.

Next we were all served antipasti off the menu. Everyone recieved Asparagi con Pecorino Toscano (Asparagus with Pecorino Toscano Sauce). This dish consisted of delicate asparagus spears with an aioli like sauce with pecorino. This was another simple dish, but delicious. The sauce was bold and worked well with the asparagus. I asked to try the Pesche con Flan di Fegato Grasso (Foie Gras Custard with Peaches) and one serving of this was brought to the table for sharing. This was a well prepared dish and sang of Foie, but it was not my favorite of the night. My wife and I had an interesting discussion as to whether this dish might be better served warm as opposed to cold, but all in all, it is definitely a dish worth trying. The peaches and sauce that accompanied the dish were spot on.

Next was Taglierini allo Zafferano (Saffron Taglierini wiht Ricotta Cream and English Peas). I have always thought that pasta is where Trattoria truly excels. This dish of house made Taglierini cooked perfectly al dente, proved my point. Again, the pasta and the peas were the stars of the dish. The Ricotta Cream was lightly applied in the perfect amount to put the dish together.

This was followed by an off menu special. Soft shell crab. Each diner was served a beautiful soft shell crab. No sauce, no frills. The crabs appear to have been lightly dusted (wondra flour perhaps?), and were perfectly seasoned. A side plate of cooked broccoli that was well done (but not necessary) accompanied the crab. The crabs had been fedexed in to SF that day. Again, the ingredient was the star. However, this is a dish that is often executed poorly. It may be easy to batter softshells and deep fry them, but to pan saute them with no batter without over cooking them and seasoning them well, but letting the crab shine is not easy. My wife and our friends were terrified (they are Iowans who are not necesarrily fans of most seafood) that they were going to be served this and I was glad that they were. All of them tried it and while they may not have cleaned their plates, they all enjoyed the easier parts to eat (i.e. the claws). My plate was cleaned and to me, this was the best dish of the night.

Next, everyone received Scaloppine di Vitello al Vino Bianco (Veal Scaloppini with Tuna Conserva, Capers and White Wine Reduction). The veal was perfectly cooked and, while the items accompanying the veal seemed strange on the menu, they worked well. This was a great rendition of this dish and everyone enjoyed it. However, the real star was an off menu prime ribeye. One steak was brought to the table to share. A perfect medium rare ribeye was served simply with salt and pepper (there was probably a bit of olive oil as well), but it was perfectly cooked. Again, this was a dish that was all about a premium ingredient with no frills. Well seasoned, the beef flavor of an excellent cut and quality steak was the star.

We were served two deserts (I do not have the desert menu for accurate descriptions). One was a doughnut type pastry that was very sweet. It was a well executed dish, but not my favorite. The other was (I believe after all of the wine) a ricotta cheesecake and it was fantastic. We were actually dueling for the last bites over the plate.

As I have said before on this thread, controversy may surround this place due to the no fragrance policy or other reasons. However, for people interested in fine dining in SF, I would forget any controversy and go here to try what I feel is the best food in SF. Chef Maltezos' food is a perfect example of what restraint can do for quality ingredients.

First, bobag87, thanks for that great summary of your meal at Trattoria Nostrani.

Second, to all who are on this thread and care to respond, bobag87 made me realize that I've been neglecting a big must in Santa Fe: the green vs. red chile experience. Where can I get a good version of each? Preferably, if I can taste both at the same meal (i.e. a restaurant that offers both), that would be ideal.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

First, bobag87, thanks for that great summary of your meal at Trattoria Nostrani.

Second, to all who are on this thread and care to respond, bobag87 made me realize that I've been neglecting a big must in Santa Fe: the green vs. red chile experience.  Where can I get a good version of each?  Preferably, if I can taste both at the same meal (i.e. a restaurant that offers both), that would be ideal.

Also, it seems fairly obvious that no one really has much enthusiasm for any of the Santa Fe "biggies," that is Cafe Coyote and Cafe Pasquale's. Should I just axe them from my itinerary?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account