• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taqueria El Rinconsito

Has anyone here ever checked out the small but growing Taqueria El Rinconsito chain?  My obsession with this taqueria started with the Kent location on Central Avenue a few years ago when my favorite Thai place down the street was too packed to get into. One bite of a pork torta sandwich and I was hooked. The textures and flavors were fantastic and the pricetag rarely hovers above $6 for lunch. That's good eatin'.

What I like? They use fresh cheese (nothing is drenched in gloppy yellow stuff). The vegetables and garnishes are always crisp and market fresh. The sauces are deeply flavored and they assemble every dish with care. I can't believe they can afford to serve such great quality grub at a bargain pricetag.

My favorites: the torta sandwiches (especially the pork), the carne asada and the taquitos. Mamster, you might be happy to hear that they serve their burritos al pastor! (spelling?)  I have yet to try one that way though! Some day soon, I swear...

Just wanted all of you to know about this small taqueria chain. All the stores seem to be located south of the airport:

14406 International Blvd, Tukwila, 206-835-2900 (near the airport)

214 S.W. 152nd, Burien, 206-431-0663

510 N. Central, Kent, 253-520-9439

25914 Pacific Hwy, Redondo (this is a new location, where the Taco Time used to be)

Let me know if any of you check it out! If you eat in Kent, I can meet for a torta ;)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

yeah, Mamster, I love it when a real joint replaces a pseudo joint. Taco Time has nothin on an authentic spot like Taqueria El Riconsito. But I admit to making Taco Time's crispy chicken burritos at home from time to time. I usually make them when we're throwing a party involving a moderate amount of beer. Greasy burritos are always a good pairing :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 2 weeks later...

girlchow, thanks for the Taqueria El Rinconsito rec.  I have had the one in Burien on my radar screen  for the last few months, so glad to hear it is good.  I even drove by the place, so I would know for future reference where to find it (That was the day I ended up at El Trapiche Pupuseria).  Burien lost one of their taqueria's (Zacatecas) last summer when the hot water tank blew through the roof and landed a block away at Pizza Hut, having crossed 6 lanes of traffic..wow.  Next time I am able to go Trader Joes Burien, I'm stopping at El Riconsito for sure.

• 1 month later...

I'm so happy to read others' enthusiasm about this outfit! A couple summers ago, I was down in Burien every other week, completely addicted to El Rinconsito's ham torta. They cut the ham thick and grilled it, and all the ingredients were spread evenly throughout the bread, so that there were no skimpy bites, if you know what I mean. The avocado and pickled jalepeno filled the sandwich with as much flavor as I remembered from the tortas I had in Mexico. And I loved their hot pickled carrots and the sides of radishes.

Then they moved (from the location on 152nd to their new location on Ambaum at roughly 151st) and I never made it back to try again until last Wednesday night. I had the ham torta and, in Mamster's honor, the taco al pastor. Mmmm, that was a perfect little soft taco. The torta didn't fare as well; I think the quality will go up and down depending on who's in the kitchen, so I'm still willing to go back for more, but my mouth didn't get all happy like it had in the past.

Where have you all found the best tortas, and why? What made them the best?

• 2 months later...

oh m'gosh. The tacos at El Riconsito....yummmm!

I finally made it there yesterday, and only by accident as I happened to spot them as we drove by at 15101 Ambaum SW in Burien. I've been wanting to go for months though.

I think they are probably the best tacos I've ever had.

My favorite was a tie between the asada (grilled steak) and abobada marinated pork (their version of al pastor). The steak pieces had a nice crispy grilled exterior, with a juicy flavorful interior; the pork was not very crispy but delicious none the less, and chopped onions were also grilled in with them. They are served each on 2 soft corn tortillas.

I also had a cabeza (beef cheek) taco that was good, but not as heavenly as the other 2.

These little things are only $1.20 each and make a great snack or lunch. Although they were a bit on the juicy side, the great flavor makes up for the messiness and several napkins I needed as I ate them...and juicy is much better than dry (which I've had at other places). I can't wait to go back again. The place is very casual, and tables seat up to 4 max. I think.

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this thread just to say that I have gone to 'Rinconsito' (Tukwila) a few times recently and think the tacos are fantastic. Hate to admit it, but probably even better than Muy Macho in South Park. My only problem with them is that however many I order (they're small), I always want one more. I'm psyching myself up to try the tongue tacos next time....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 1 month later...

Some extremely exciting taco news... Taqueria el Rinconsito has moved its downtown Kent location a few doors down to a much bigger spot (read: bigger menu). Tacos (pollo) still 89 cents... others around a buck. This place still rocks!

The new location is where the old Taco Time used to be at the corner of Central and Smith. Funny enough, their other Kent location on Pacific Highway also used to be a Taco Time.

Locations, locations, locations:

Federal Way (Redondo/Kent): 25914 Pacific Highway

Kent (downtown): 301 N. Central Ave (corner of Smith and Central Avenue)

Tukwila (by the airport): 14406 International Blvd

Burien: 15101 Ambaum Blvd S.W.

Tacoma: 5415 Pacific Ave

See earlier posts for phone numbers :biggrin:

-- Frank Bruni

• 1 month later...

Love Rinconsito. I visit the one in Kent, and agree - the tacos are fab.

Another place in Kent (yes, Kent!) that has good tacos (and sopitas) is the taco truck at the corner of 104th & SE 256th, at the top of the hill.

Haven't tried the new taqueria in Rinconsito's old Kent location, but have to stop there soon. Anyone else tried it yet?

Mmmmm...hungry now.

Welcome Ye-Ye!

Always good to have someone else from the south siyeed around. Girl chow and I feel like a downtrodden minority sometimes. :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Thanks, tighe.

I must come clean, though. I'm merely a south side poseur, since I actually live in West Seattle. The Dude lives in Kent, and I am generally down there on weekends.

I can completely identify with you and girl chow, though - I'm always on the lookout for good eats in the south end.

Whether she wants the title or not, gc is, in fact, the font of all south-end dining knowledge. I'm merely an interested bystander.

The South End is for tourists.

:raz:

AS IF!!

(Ya see what I mean about the downtrodden minority part??)

Edited by tighe (log)

The South End is for tourists.

:raz:

Watch it ... or me and my pickup drivin' Kent friends are gonna come and kick your pansy Eastside ass. :raz:

-- Frank Bruni

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I realize this is an old thread and many already know about this place, but I ate there for the first time today and it was really, really good :biggrin:

I've really been craving some good "authentic" tacos and especially carnitas which it's so hard (impossible?) to find in the NW. So I searched through threads and found this one. Armed with my Mapquest printout I took off down I-5 to find the Tukwilla branch, which was easy, but darned if it wasn't closed due to a family emergency (hopefully all is ok). Luckily, I had the address of the Burien location at 15101 Ambaum, but no map--determined to get my tacos, I set off to find it. Thank my lucky stars I did!!

I had the taco plate with 4 tacos for ($4.69 I think). I had 2 carnitas, 1 adobado and 1 carne asada with a side of avocado ($1.50 for half a nice, ripe avocado) and a really good tamarindo (full of real tamarind pulp). I helped myself liberally to radishes, pickled carrots and onions and three salsas and sat down to enjoy. Man, they were good!! Simple, but real deep flavors. The adobado was the best I've had state-side, with crispy edges and nicely spicey. The carnitas were also very good, but still not as crispy/fatty/porky as those in Calif/Mexico. (I realize the carnitas may vary day to day and I'll definitely go back to try them again.) The carne asada was also very flavorful and juicy.

I can't wait to go back and try some of the other menu items. Has anyone tried the pozole here?

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Ahhh yes, another Rinconsito convert.....

Next time you feel like an expedition, consider trying Muy Macho in South Park. It goes back and forth between them and Rinconsito for my favorite tacos.

Fer all you northward-livin' city slickers, we've been thoroughly enjoying ourselves at the Burrito Loco at the U Village.

Me, I can't even find Tukwila without a map. <ducking>.

cameron

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

We don't take kindly, to those who don't take kindly.....

Might want to keep an eye on the rear-view mirror for a pickup truck filled with shotgun toting locals next time you cross the city line headed south Cam.... :hmmm:

I've really been craving some good "authentic" tacos and especially carnitas which it's so hard (impossible?) to find in the NW. So I searched through threads and found this one. Armed with my Mapquest printout I took off down I-5 to find the Tukwilla branch, which was easy, but darned if it wasn't closed due to a family emergency (hopefully all is ok). Luckily, I had the address of the Burien location at 15101 Ambaum, but no map--determined to get my tacos, I set off to find it. Thank my lucky stars I did!!

Maybe you should confine your comments to Seattle and not generalize to the NW. Note:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?set_al...=view_photo.php

salvadors3b.jpg

Maybe you should confine your comments to Seattle and not generalize to the NW.  Note:

salvadors3b.jpg

Oops! yes, you're right-- :blush: I plead guilty to the great Pac. NW lumping faux pas!!! I should have said "in the Seattle area". Please tell me where you find those lovely morsels. My brother lives in Portland and I'd love to check it out next time I'm down. I will say I've had good tacos/burritos at a little taqueria on Alberta--used to be 2 of them right next to each other, but now only one left. Take mercy on me and reveal your source :wink:

*edited to correct spelling error

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Fer all you northward-livin' city slickers, we've been thoroughly enjoying ourselves at the Burrito Loco at the U Village.

cameron

I really enjoy Burrito Loco too--I like their beans, their chiles rellenos, coctel de camarones, tortas, tacos rancheros (fried tacos) and usually their pozole (last time I had it it wasn't good--had to send it back--they were so nice and apologized profusely). My husband really likes their burritos as well.

But Taqueria El Rinconsito is way better IMHO--at least for their tacos, which is all I tried. But I'm definitely going back to try more.

Go ye to Mapquest and venture forth!

*edited to correct structural weirdness.

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

Maybe you should confine your comments to Seattle and not generalize to the NW.  Note:

Oops! yes, you're right-- :blush: I plead guilty to the great Pac. NW lumping faux pas!!! I should have said "in the Seattle area". Please tell me where you find those lovely morsels. My brother lives in Portland and I'd love to check it out next time I'm down. I will say I've had good tacos/burritos at a little taqueria on Alberta--used to be 2 of them right next to each other, but now only one left. Take mercy on me and reveal your source :wink:

*edited to correct spelling error

Those were from Salvador's in Woodburn, but Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon makes some mighty good Carnitas, as does La Ochoa in Hillsboro. Salvador's has 5 locations, though, and makes them as good as you'll find in Michoacan. Plus, every tortilla is made to order.

Though I have yet to find a taqueria in Seattle as good as La Taqueria in the San Francisco Mission District, Burrito Loco in U-Village is one of my favorites up here. They have a very good Carne Asada taco.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons