• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Indian -

Monica Bhide

Its two oclock pm in Washington DC and there is two inches of snow outside my window. I hear Minn is much colder.

I am sipping a simple cardamom tea and wondering what to cook for dinner - something hot and spicy that counteracts the weather.

What are you cooking from your spice cupboard that is warming :laugh:

Do share

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

hola monica!

i'm just a little south of you and thus get your used weather.

we're just starting to snow, but been having a cold

snap last 2 days.

i made some KICK A** bisi-bele-bhaath

(no MTR mix, mom's recipe)

and EVERYONE loved it:

husband fell off his diet wagon with a thud,

and 7 yo dd and 3 yo ds kept saying

"yummy in my tummy" while devouring multiple servings.

served with yogurt and papads.

really sticks to your ribs

(and alas, likely to yr hips)

milagai

Nothing Indian!

which made me wonder how often do you cook/eat Indian?

three meals a day? Daily? couple of days weekly?

but back to monica's topic, days like today make me long for Bread Pakoras, Malpoa, masalla chai, jalebis and the like.

edited to add garam garam halwa.

Edited by BBhasin (log)

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

We had a nice spicy dal over scrambled eggs (weird, I know, but we like it) and a salad of shredded carrots with cumin and lime and other nice things.

Peppertrail could you please share your recipe for Aviyal wih me? By private message or publicly if you think others might like it.

CharityCase & Milagai:

The recipe for aviyal is on my web site at http://www.peppertrail.com/php/displayCont...&parent_link=10

It is also on this thread -

Non Indian vegetable- their use in indian kitchens, Lot of curiosity of their kinds

But please reduce the quantity of coconut oil to 1/3 cup from 1/2 cup. It was a typo I missed correcting. Monica is it possible to correct it?

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

In Chicago the blizzard came and went yesterday. For lunch I made a hearty punjabi meal of sarson da saag (using frozen mustard greens and spinach) with a packaged dal makhani (wasn't too bad!) and corn tortillas (makki di roti). For dinner I made pork vindaloo. I don't usually cook so much but we were housebound all day, so it seemed like a good thing to do .

This is a really nice I wonder if it could be converted to when it is too cold to go outside :wacko::raz:

Very inspiring to read, and thanks episure, made me almost reach out for the heat from pav bhaji stand. The pav looks great it is always a special memory to me.

Suresh & Monica:

I have pav bhaji question. I tasted pav bhaji for the first time in the U.S. Yes, I moved here before pav bhaji reached the south. I wonder if it has really reached Kerala yet :wink: I love the bhaji part. My question is why is such a tasty vegetable dish served on ---bread? Was the original pav something else? something like homemade chapathi type perhaps?

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com