• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filling up One's Pantry in Arlington

The spice and appliance store ( a few blocks from me) closed a couple fo months ago. They are building anew building there. The store will reopen when the building does.

My arlington grocery picks:

Whole foods

small latin grocery on wilson, behind whole foods. has a meat dept.

Euro Latino Grocery on Washington blvd near pershing. get goat tacos and lorocco pupusas at El Charrito caminante while nearby. Euro Latino caters to brazilians, portuguese, and hispanics. they even import fresh sardines, octopus etc. and they freezae some of it, so it is always around. they have a meat dept too, with an argentine butcher.

Lebanese taverna market on old dominion near lee highway.

arrowine for wine and cheese. lee highway. If you want this weeks email circular...message me.

M slavin and sons in s.arlington for fish.

The Swedish Fish (has another name) behind the VA Square giant (Washington blvd) for fish and scandinavian products. small selection, but very fresh, since owner is a seafood distributer.

The Italian Store. btw...they have great ny pizza and philly hoagies too.

I've never been to the 2 fillepino groceries. one is next to a filepino restaurant and one is on lee highway.

Also, not in Arlington, but closeby on Wilson....Asian groceries at Eden Center (A Vietnamese dining and food shopping area).

I have a DC area ethnic grocery link somewhere. Message me if u need it.

Oh how could I forget the Indian Spice and Appliance store.  THE place to go for your PAL, Bollywood and Indian spice needs!

Indian Spice and Appliances 220 Volts

(703) 522-1555

3000 10th St N

Arlington, VA 22201

-Jason

I've never been to the 2 fillepino groceries. one is next to a filepino restaurant and one is on lee highway.

I'm Filipino, so I can say that the one next to Little Quiapo is pretty good. I prefer Mabuhay in Springfield, mainly because of the availability of tasty snacks like cuchinta and hopiang munggo. :wub: Thanks for reminding me, because I've been meaning to drag my fiancé out for some lechon baboy and halo-halo.

I'll PM now for the D.C. stuff. Thank you for your fabulous helpfulness!

Don't forget The Italian Store on Lee Highway over by Spout Run Parkway - it's in the same shopping center as the Geriatric Giant. And there's La Union Mercado on Old Lee Highway near Arrowine and Pastries By Randolph...really really awesome picante chorizos...

Rob

who used to live up the hill from Ballston

Check out the Latin market on Wilson Blvd. across from Whole Foods. The meat counter has great  chorizo, and the store has a broad selection of Mexican, Central American and South American products. There's a refrigerator case full of hand-made tortillas.

<ears perk up> good chorizo?? hand-made tortillas?? please tell me they are corn, and not flour.

Don't forget The Italian Store on Lee Highway over by Spout Run Parkway - it's in the same shopping center as the Geriatric Giant.  And there's La Union Mercado on Old Lee Highway near Arrowine and Pastries By Randolph...really really awesome picante chorizos...

Rob

Mmm. I have to confess that Italian stores around here haven't been the same since my visit to Boston. (A kingdom for some pignolis!) Thank you for the tip, though.

The Italian Store is awesome! NY Style Pizza, philly hoagies, prepared italian foods....oh my! You MUST try it.

Don't forget The Italian Store on Lee Highway over by Spout Run Parkway - it's in the same shopping center as the Geriatric Giant.  And there's La Union Mercado on Old Lee Highway near Arrowine and Pastries By Randolph...really really awesome picante chorizos...

Rob

Mmm. I have to confess that Italian stores around here haven't been the same since my visit to Boston. (A kingdom for some pignolis!) Thank you for the tip, though.

-Jason

Check out the Latin market on Wilson Blvd. across from Whole Foods. The meat counter has great  chorizo, and the store has a broad selection of Mexican, Central American and South American products. There's a refrigerator case full of hand-made tortillas.

<ears perk up> good chorizo?? hand-made tortillas?? please tell me they are corn, and not flour.

Yes, of course corn. I don't eat no stinkin' flour tortillas. Seriously, they are mostly Salvadoran style--thick. Can't be used for enchiladas--they are more like sopes. Check carefully to get ones that are made with fresh masa rather than reconstituted masa harina. Fresh is always better.