• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filling up One's Pantry in Arlington

Well, we moved to Arlington this week and the cupboard is bare.

Okay, technically the cupboard isn't empty. It has risotto, clam sauce, dry spaghetti, and a lot of anchovies. The freezer will have duck legs confit from D'Artagnan (a housewarming present) and currently has a bottle of strawberry wine.

Yet man cannot live on duck legs and strawberry wine forever. (We'll try, though.)So this means shopping. I can walk to a Giant's, I can walk to a Safeway, but I want the down-low from local denizens: are there good fishmongers, butchers, ethnic markets, farmer's markets?

-Most Cordially,

E.

PS. Filling the pantry is always another challenge. I tend to be a better cook when restricted -- I like to improvise ingredients from the cupboard. Buying ingredients makes my head hurt!

Well, there's the Harris Teeter in Pentagon Row, Slavins fish market on S. Gleebe road near 395, and Cheesetique on Mt. Vernon road in Alexandria. Arrow Wine is supposed to have good stuff, but I'm not entirely sure where it is. Other than that, I'll be watching this thread, too!

Welcome to the area!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Well, we moved to Arlington this week and the cupboard is bare.

Okay, technically the cupboard isn't empty. It has risotto, clam sauce, dry spaghetti, and a lot of anchovies. The freezer will have duck legs confit from D'Artagnan (a housewarming present) and currently has a bottle of strawberry wine.

Yet man cannot live on duck legs and strawberry wine forever. (We'll try, though.)So this means shopping. I can walk to a Giant's, I can walk to a Safeway, but I want the down-low from local denizens: are there good fishmongers, butchers, ethnic markets, farmer's markets?

-Most Cordially,

E.

PS. Filling the pantry is always another challenge. I tend to be a better cook when restricted -- I like to improvise ingredients from the cupboard. Buying ingredients makes my head hurt!

There's a Harris Teeter up at Glebe and Randolph (I think?), just before Wilson. If you go up Wilson, there's a Farmer's Market Saturdays near Clarendon Metro, and, further up, a Whole Foods with a decent, Whole Foody butcher. If, from Columbia Pike you turn left on Glebe and go down to where it divides into North-South and East-West Glebes, right near 395 exit, you'll see M. Slavins, a dandy fishmonger on the Alexandria-Arlington border.

Welcome to Glebeland.

edit: If you dunno Harris-Teeter btw (many MDers don't, I know), the reason we Virginians are so excited by it is that it's a run-of-the-mill grocery store with aspirations. It's just a touch better than your average Safeway, Giant, or what-have-you.

Edited by fimbul (log)

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Well, there's the Harris Teeter in Pentagon Row, Slavins fish market on S. Gleebe road near 395, and Cheesetique on Mt. Vernon road in Alexandria.  Arrow Wine is supposed to have good stuff, but I'm not entirely sure where it is.  Other than that, I'll be watching this thread, too!

Welcome to the area!

Thanks a bunch for the tips. We live right by the Columbia Pike library, so we've seen the Harris Teeter. Hopefully, I'll get to check out the wine and cheese places at some point! :mmmm wineandcheese:

There's a Harris Teeter up at Glebe and Randolph (I think?), just before Wilson.  If you go up Wilson, there's a Farmer's Market Saturdays near Clarendon Metro, and, further up, a Whole Foods with a decent, Whole Foody butcher.  If, from Columbia Pike you turn left on Glebe and go down to where it divides into North-South and East-West Glebes, right near 395 exit, you'll see M. Slavins, a dandy fishmonger on the Alexandria-Arlington border.

Welcome to Glebeland.

edit: If you dunno Harris-Teeter btw (many MDers don't, I know), the reason we Virginians are so excited by it is that it's a run-of-the-mill grocery store with aspirations.  It's just a touch better than your average Safeway, Giant, or what-have-you.

Thanks for the tips! Is the farmer's market year-round?

As far as the whole hypermarket trends: I admit to being a big fan of Super H and Wegman's. (Though Weggies is admittedly quite a drive from MD.)

the obvious, overplayed, cheesy, yet cheap option would be Trader Joe's: I head out there once every couple of months to stock up on dried goods, frozen dumplings, niman ranch bacon bacon, granola, and wine which most of our cohorts here would scorn.

Edited by babka (log)

As far as the whole hypermarket trends: I admit to being a big fan of Super H and Wegman's. (Though Weggies is admittedly quite a drive from MD.)

The one I was thinking of seems to be a summer-only thing, but this one seems to go year-round. I work in Arlington rather than live in it, so I'm usually at the Del Ray farmer's market in the summer, and eating supermarket root vegetables in the winter. ...Come to think of it, I should try to go to the Arlingtton market more often. Er, at all.

As for hypermarkets, Harris Teeter can't compete with Super H, but then, nothing can. The only supermarket chain I know of whose patrons can turn milling about apparently lost and aimless into an organized agressive action that would impress Napolean. My shopping-fu is weak, weak, weak.

the obvious, overplayed, cheesy, yet cheap option would be Trader Joe's:  I head out there once every couple of months to stock up on dried goods, frozen dumplings, niman ranch bacon bacon, granola, and wine which most of our cohorts here would scorn.

I confess to liking their snacky, prepared foods and wines. They are good for private snacking and for when I am throwing a super-drunk party and have eaten through the first group of hors d'oeuvres.

As for hypermarkets, Harris Teeter can't compete with Super H, but then, nothing can.  The only supermarket chain I know of whose patrons can turn milling about apparently lost and aimless into an organized agressive action that would impress Napolean.  My shopping-fu is weak, weak, weak.

Grasshopper, when you can put this pebble in your shopping cart (and not have a horde of Asian mothers yelling at you), then you are ready for Super-H.

:wink:

Head down the 395 to the Landmark Mall exit, swing around the off ramp, past Landmark Mall, go about 3 traffic lights, and turn right onto S. Pickett Street, look for the Home Depot shopping center on the left (after a couple car dealerships) and check out Mediterrean Bakery and Cafe...lots of imported goods. Huge selection of olive oils, vinegars, mediterrean cheeses, olives, house baked pita, great hummus, sweets, sausages, come hungry and have lunch.

Head down the 395 to the Landmark Mall exit, swing around the off ramp, past  Landmark Mall, go about 3 traffic lights, and turn right onto S. Pickett Street, look for the Home Depot shopping center on the left (after a couple car dealerships) and check out Mediterrean Bakery and Cafe...lots of imported goods.  Huge selection of olive oils, vinegars, mediterrean cheeses, olives, house baked pita, great hummus, sweets, sausages, come hungry and have lunch.

Oooh, that sounds great. I know there's also a Middle-Eastern bakery by Duangrat's/Rabieng -- it's across the street by Neisha Thai. But I haven't tried it yet -- we always get waylaid by Duangrat's desserts.

Han Ha Reum on the corner of Gallows Rd and Lee Hwy just past Falls Church has an amazing assortment of Asian groceries, fresh/unique produce as well as fresh fish and seafood - and it's extremely affordable! Best to go during the evening on a weeknight though, you can spend a day in the check out line on the weekends!

Also, in the same complex as Bangkok 54 on Columbia Pike (near Walter Reed), there's an Asian grocery called, um, Bangkok 54. I only stopped in there for a minute this weekend, but was impressed. Hell, I found palm sugar. That's cool, right?

Han Ha Reum on the corner of Gallows Rd and Lee Hwy just past Falls Church has an amazing assortment of Asian groceries, fresh/unique produce as well as fresh fish and seafood - and it's extremely affordable!  Best to go during the evening on a weeknight though, you can spend a day in the check out line on the weekends!

Thanks. I'll have to try somewhere else besides Lotte and Super H. Though I love them with a great deal of irrational affection!

Also, in the same complex as Bangkok 54 on Columbia Pike (near Walter Reed), there's an Asian grocery called, um, Bangkok 54.  I only stopped in there for a minute this weekend, but was impressed.  Hell, I found palm sugar.  That's cool, right?

Yes, palm sugar is very cool. I hate to say it, but the reason that I think Thai salads are so great is probably due to that stuff. (I must have been a hummingbird in a past life.)

Actually, the neat this is that I can walk from my apartment to Bangkok 54 -- my apartment is in the complex up Walter Reed Ave. I kid you not! I saw some very favorable reviews so we will have to screw up our courage and trudge in the bone-chilling cold.

I may lose some toes, but I do like me some curry.

Hanh-ah-Reum is the Aitch in Supah Aitch Mart. The same craziness, in a smaller space. If I feel inferior in Super H, I usually wind up a trip to Hanh-ah-Reum (aka "Trapmart" in my house and among my friends) clutching my squab (they sell squab!) feverishly and gibbering. Never, ever go there late in the day on a weekend. Utter. fucking. bedlam.

Go to Bangkok 54. Very yummy pork belly. Good for hangovers.

The one I was thinking of seems to be a summer-only thing, but this one seems to go year-round. I work in Arlington rather than live in it, so I'm usually at the Del Ray farmer's market in the summer, and eating supermarket root vegetables in the winter. ...Come to think of it, I should try to go to the Arlingtton market more often. Er, at all.

As for hypermarkets, Harris Teeter can't compete with Super H, but then, nothing can. The only supermarket chain I know of whose patrons can turn milling about apparently lost and aimless into an organized agressive action that would impress Napolean. My shopping-fu is weak, weak, weak.

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Can you tell me where the Farmer's Market is in DelRay & its hours/days?

How does it compare to Arlington & Dupont?

Sorry about the above post :blink:

Edited by MicBacchus (log)

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Hanh-ah-Reum is the Aitch in Supah Aitch Mart.  The same craziness, in a smaller space.  If I feel inferior in Super H, I usually wind up a trip to Hanh-ah-Reum (aka "Trapmart" in my house and among my friends) clutching my squab (they sell squab!) feverishly and gibbering.  Never, ever go there late in the day on a weekend.  Utter.  fucking.  bedlam.

Go to Bangkok 54.  Very yummy pork belly.  Good for hangovers.

Squab's probably the only thing that would fit in my fridge. I wish I was kidding, but I am not. :blink:

Can you tell me where the Farmer's Market is in DelRay & its hours/days?

How does it compare to Arlington & Dupont?

Sorry about the above post  :blink:

It's a small affair, but it's great good fun. You'll never find exotic veggies or whole sides of venison or the like, but greens, peppers, chiles, mushrooms, tomatoes, apples etc. are abundant and fresh. It runs Spring through Autumn on Saturday mornings, 8-12.

Er. Give this a looksee.

Check out the Latin market on Wilson Blvd. across from Whole Foods. The meat counter has great chorizo, and the store has a broad selection of Mexican, Central American and South American products. There's a refrigerator case full of hand-made tortillas.

Another source for Middle Eastern foods with a real, old-fashioned butcher shop (lamb, goat, veal, chickens) is Halalco in Falls Church, just off Lee Highway (Washington St.) near the overpass over Rt. 50.

Further out Lee Highway in Falls Church is the German Gourmet for sausages, deli meats, German-style breads, Scandinavian herring, Polish preserves, German wine, good mustard, real crackling lard.

Check out the Latin market on Wilson Blvd. across from Whole Foods. The meat counter has great  chorizo, and the store has a broad selection of Mexican, Central American and South American products. There's a refrigerator case full of hand-made tortillas.

Another source for Middle Eastern foods with a real, old-fashioned butcher shop (lamb, goat, veal, chickens) is Halalco in Falls Church, just off Lee Highway (Washington St.) near the overpass over Rt. 50.

Further out Lee Highway in Falls Church is the German Gourmet for sausages, deli meats, German-style breads, Scandinavian herring, Polish preserves, German wine, good mustard, real crackling lard.

Thank you! I am really impressed with the area's diversity in terms on markets. If impressed means "going to eat a lot in the next few years" that is.