• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falls Church, VA featured in NY Times

SethG

The companion article by Marian Burros categorizes DC restaurants. The third category is the most "infrequently of all, wonderful food...that would shine anywhere.

I doubt she's been here recently. This is another example of slamming DC without knowing what's doing. She doesn't even pretend to speak from recent, personal experience. I never did like this women.

The companion article by Marian Burros categorizes DC restaurants.  The third category is the most "infrequently of all, wonderful food...that would shine anywhere.

I doubt she's been here recently.  This is another example of slamming DC without knowing what's doing.  She doesn't even pretend to speak from recent, personal experience.  I never did like this women.

Burros article

I think in this particular case she is tweaking the restaurant goers more than the restaurants, but the point is valid that she comes accross as very dismissive of the DC restaurant universe.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

The companion article by Marian Burros categorizes DC restaurants.  The third category is the most "infrequently of all, wonderful food...that would shine anywhere.

I doubt she's been here recently.  This is another example of slamming DC without knowing what's doing.  She doesn't even pretend to speak from recent, personal experience.  I never did like this women.

I thought that was a pretty lame article in general - "Restaurants in DC are going to be busy with fat-cats this week" - oh really?

Bill Russell

...she comes accross as very dismissive of the DC restaurant universe.

Has the NYT said anything much nice about the DC dining scene, ever? My impression is that even when they occasionally profile a DC chef who is doing great things, they make it abundantly clear that his sterling efforts are a rare exception amid a veritable sea of mediocrity and, anyway, can't really be directly compared to the efforts of compatriots in New York, who are after all cooking for far more more sophisticated folk. I know their DC and NY news bureaus have always hated each other's guts -- maybe that's got something to do with the dripping condescension?

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I haven't read these articles yet, so I'm not commenting on the content. But, as far as I know, Ms. Burros lives at least part-time in Washington.

eh, Burro's article is pretty good--she's reporting on the political scene at the restaurants, not the quality of the food itself, and she got the former right.

I agree and, after actually reading it, I'd say she got the latter mostly right too. That said, I stand by my impulsive, obnoxious and mostly unsupported earlier assertions of bias and chicanery because, well, never apologizing for anything is a well-loved and, clearly, winning strategy in this our fine hometown. :smile:

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Has the NYT said anything much nice about the DC dining scene, ever?

Isn't the Johnny Apple article nice? He had quite a lot of positive things to say.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Has the NYT said anything much nice about the DC dining scene, ever?

Isn't the Johnny Apple article nice? He had quite a lot of positive things to say.

yes, it is--the Apple piece is a lovely essay, of the sort that I wish our hometown paper did more of. The WP did a fantastic guide to Eden Center a couple of years ago, but cogent writing about food, culture, and geography mixed together isn't a regular strength.

eh, Burro's article is pretty good--she's reporting on the political scene at the restaurants, not the quality of the food itself, and she got the former right.

I agree and, after actually reading it, I'd say she got the latter mostly right too. That said, I stand by my impulsive, obnoxious and mostly unsupported earlier assertions of bias and chicanery because, well, never apologizing for anything is a well-loved and, clearly, winning strategy in this our fine hometown. :smile:

Is this the "unmitigated gall" that you so proudly boast showing through?