• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Palisade Ave in Englewood

Rachel Perlow

I was commenting the other day to Jason that Englewood's Palisade Avenue is becoming quite a restaurant row. Especially for ethnic food:

- Bennies is Lebanese

- It's Greek to Me

- Baumgarts, Gourmet Chinese & Ice Cream

- Blue Moon, Mexican & Bar

- Saigon Republic, Vietnamese, just opened

- Big Red Tomato (on Dean St), Italian, the Fort Lee branch is excellent, haven't been to Englewood's location

- El Prado or La Cumbia or La Fonda Paisa (haven't been to any of them), spanish or south american (colombian?)

- Han Ah Reum, Korean supermarket (on Lafayette, just off the circle)

- Wild Ginger, Japanese, always crowded, specializes in omekase

- Sol & Sol Kosher Deli & Restaurant

- Taraabya Mediterranean Grill, dressier than Bennies or Greek to Me

And many more places that I haven't been to yet. If you've been to any of these (especially the ones I haven't been to yet) please post your impressions.

If you think your town has a great restaurant row please post a new topic telling us about it!

Yes, the Fort Lee one is very busy. For a basic red sauce place its pretty good though, although I have never had their pizza. Their entrees and basic pasta dishes are good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

what's up with dat big red tomato?  the other location is always packed.  seems like a simple sauce and pasta place to me.

Oh man am I laughing hard right now, tommy!

For YEARS, whenever I passed by that Big Red Tomato those exact words "what's up with that big red tomato place" would leave my mouth?  People are always sitting on the benches outside waiting for seating inside.  In the MIDDLE of the week.

Jason, Rachel and many others have been witness to this as well.

Parking is a bit of a challenge there, and there are so many other Italian Restaurants, that it took about 2 1/2-3 years of driving by it to try it.

You know something?  I still don't get it.  It was very pedestrian--pretty ordinary.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Ah Sol N' Sol...anyone remember the original, down at the bottom of Palisade Ave. I still rate their crinkly fries right up there, and when my uncle is in from Mill Valley CA, we still have to go for tongue and chopped liver.

• 2 weeks later...