• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

brunch montclair

bill70

How's the food in general at Bluestone? Or for that matter, the coffee? I only recently noticed the place as I drove up Watchung...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If you really want high end and aren't restricted to Montclair, you should hit the Hilton Short Hills brunch. $$, but certainly high end!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Bluestone is great but it's small and there is always a wait. I like to go there early in the morning on a weekday, when it's a bit quieter. The coffee is quite good. Also, even if you don't mind waiting, there is actually no place to wait but a tiny vestibule and the sidewalk. Raymond's is always crowded too, for some reason; and it's a "scene" --- much, much, too noisy as well.

As for Church Street Cafe --- I had lunch there last week and the food was not great. One big advantage ---- no wait. :laugh:

The Hilton Brunch is great; I've gone there for special occasions. Plenty of very good food, freshly prepared. It's a buffet, which I don't usually like, but there's an amazing amount to choose from.

Haven't been there for brunch, but Petite Cafe is a really cute spot!! But I wouldn't call it high end for brunch or lunch--just keep that in mind.

For an interesting brunch, you might try Mango's Café 554 Bloomfield Ave. Elegantly casual ambience, and run diligently and enthusiastically by 4 dedicated women! The Sunday brunch offerings include Omelettes with plantains, calaloo, ackee, and jerk chicken. A much better choice than stuffing youself on one of those buffets where the food steams itself dry! A non-institutional ambience as well...

Mango's Brunch Menu

I read something about Just Jakes on Park, down the street from Epernay.  I always thought it was just a bar.  Anyone been there?

I went there a few years ago to see a band. It didn't look like they served food, but maybe they've changed since then.

Just Jakes definitely serves food but it's pub grub. A couple salads, chicken fingers, burgers, hummus wraps, etc. The food is edible but not anything to excite.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I read something about Just Jakes on Park, down the street from Epernay.  I always thought it was just a bar.  Anyone been there?

I live near Just Jakes and tried their brunch once. The food was good, but the service was really bad! The gal didn't even know what a mimosa was (and it was on their menu!), and overcharged us for a side of taylor ham. When we asked to rectify this, she challenged the charges to us- It was on their menu what the charge was, and she still wouldn't change our bill. It was honestly like $.75 off or something, so we didn't even bother pressing the issue. Terrible service!

However, it looked like the other servers were doing well, so hopefully this was just a fluke. I had an omelette which was nice & fluffy, and the food was good so with good service its not a bad place for brunch. They have live jazz as well, which is always nice.