• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dream Kitchen Equipment? Topic for the Pros...

Tonyy13

Well, some interesting developments have come about recently, and I am finding myself wondering what kind of equipment I might want in a ktichen, if I was to design it. I have several dream pieces (big or small as they may be):

warm water wells at each station for cooks to have spoons (think ice cream dip well)

Cryovac machine

paco jet

dough sheeter

heat lamps that can raise up or down

a big ole butchers block

flat top ranges (european in design)

blast freezer

Vita-Mix 1 horse blender

Anyone other pros out there have anything that they would drool to have?

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Have you considered ...

-Combi oven

-Water taps on the hot line

-Steam kettle

-Robo-prep-b*tch (Have you ever seen one of these? They're really cool: you put the stuff in that you want prepped, type in how you want it done, push a few buttons, and out it comes. No sassing, no cigarette breaks, no drama, no 'Chef, I'm so ready to move onto the line' after a week,' no necking with waiters in the walk-ins ...)

The only thing better than new restaurant equipment, is new shoes.

Fabby

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Oooh Carté Blanche for my kitchen....

bulthaup b3 series kitchen furniture with silestone engineered quartz work surface

48" rangetop from Wolf with griddle and those french top circle thingies with different heat zones

Exhaust hood from Wolf

Subzero fridge, freezer

Gaggenau combi oven

Gaggenau deepfryer

Gaggenau indoor grill

Cuisinart Mixer

Robocoupe blender

Meat slicer like the ones in the deli

Breadslicing machine too

that machine whose name currently escapes me..that can heat and blend at the same time.

90" deep deeep sink with a mixer that includes a pre rinse attachment.

in the backyard/outdoorkitchen

the biggest most badassed Jet Wok burner with 3triple rings

Wolf Barbeque

Big Green Egg smoker

I want my knives to be Masamoto (or Nenox, or Hattori)

My pots are copper with stainless steel lining

John Boos cutting board

Oh and a soundsystem to play music while i work (from B&O or Linn)

just dont ask how i'm gonna reconcile the elegant bulthaup b3 lines with the brutish Wolf appliances. Ideally Gaggenau looks more elegant with the bulthaup showcase kitchen but..hey this is my dream and i like bigger and badder and more power.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Listen, I didn't want to open up a fight via EG, just asking those in the biz for some insight, that's all.

BTW, there are posts for women only, I didn't think that there would be an uprising...... :hmmm:

Also, I don't know how to change the title of my thread, I would be willing to, but am unaware. If you could please give some insight, we can get this whole thing straightened out..... :unsure:

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Give me a break, I am not prohibiting anyone from looking at the thread, or even posting from the thread, or even asking nicely for that not to happen.  However, as an amateur, are you aware of all of the commercial equipment that is out there?  Of course you are not, just as I would not be aware of the commercial equipment available to you in your chosen profession.  So give me a break, ok? 

Thanks for the look foodbabe, but I need more sexy stuff....

:huh::hmmm::blink: WTF?

....like I said Sexy :cool::biggrin::raz: ......(see below, thanks AzRael)...

bulthaup b3 series kitchen furniture with silestone engineered quartz work surface

48" rangetop from Wolf with griddle and those french top circle thingies with different heat zones

Exhaust hood from Wolf

Subzero fridge, freezer

Gaggenau combi oven

Gaggenau deepfryer

Gaggenau indoor grill

Cuisinart Mixer

Robocoupe blender

Meat slicer like the ones in the deli

Breadslicing machine too

that machine whose name currently escapes me..that can heat and blend at the same time.

90" deep deeep sink with a mixer that includes a pre rinse attachment.

in the backyard/outdoorkitchen

the biggest most badassed Jet Wok burner with 3triple rings

Wolf Barbeque

Big Green Egg smoker

I want my knives to be Masamoto (or Nenox, or Hattori)

My pots are copper with stainless steel lining

John Boos cutting board

Oh and a soundsystem to play music while i work (from B&O or Linn)

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Here's a couple:

-Electric Pasta Machine, and oversized wooded board

-Haake Water Circulator

-Dehydrator

-Raytek instant read thermometer gun

-Fish File

-Commercial Electric Meat Grinder (not the whimpy KitchinAide one)

-Internet access and a lot of power outlets!

Here's a couple:

-Electric Pasta Machine, and oversized wooded board

-Haake Water Circulator

-Dehydrator

-Raytek instant read thermometer gun

-Fish File

-Commercial Electric Meat Grinder (not the whimpy KitchinAide one)

-Internet access and a lot of power outlets!

Jay,

the dough sheeter is just like a large pasta machine, without the noodle cutters, which can be cut by hand. Think of 3 30" long stainless steel rolling pins w/ conveyer belts that go back and forth until the dough is the desired thickness. This is a piece of equipment that I will never work w/out again, especially if we are making pasta...

What is a fish file?

Heard that about the power outlets, a ton are always needed....

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Listen, I didn't want to open up a fight via EG, just asking those in the biz for some insight, that's all. 

BTW, there are posts for women only, I didn't think that there would be an uprising...... :hmmm:

Also, I don't know how to change the title of my thread, I would be willing to, but am unaware.  If you could please give some insight, we can get this whole thing straightened out.....   :unsure:

Well, you can ask the moderators nicely to change the title of the thread, if you wish. They've been known to comply with a request or two.

My main point (yes, I have one) is this: there are a lot of non-pros on this site. While most of us might not have much to add to list, I'm willing to bet we have a whole lot to learn from it. That's one of the main points of eGullet, learning. I think the title of your thread is sort of a statement to just not bother clicking unless you're a pro. It's a bit off-putting. (Although I recognize that might be an opinion of one, but still, one is one, y'know?)

So that'll be all from me. Thank you. :smile:

edit: typo

Edited by cakewalk (log)

ISI-Whip

Sous Vide equipment

Paint sprayers for the pastry dept

Superfreezer (the kind they use for sushi, not just a blastfreezer)

Small grated troughs at the cook's feet, with constant running water to wash away debris -- also possible on countertop of prep areas

a heads-up, computer monitor at every station showing all orders for that station that can be easily updated based on plate status. (think McDonalds order boards, but more durable and fairly easy to use) Would be cool, but unnecessary. Shouting at each other works fine.

Edited by agbaber (log)

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

i'm not a food professional per se, but i was a food writer. I also sold high end kitchens.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

How about (for the sweet side)

A big ice cream spinner (you know, 3-4 qts at a time kind)

Refrigerator and freezer drawers under the all the prep and service stations

a tempering machine for chocolate (or a marble table)

And an always good accessory, a pastry staff. (if you're not planning on one already) I know you said you wanted your staff to be more well rounded; they could get trained very well on pastry that way. It's not equipment, but it'll still take your money! :biggrin:

Jay,

the dough sheeter is just like a large pasta machine, without the noodle cutters, which can be cut by hand. Think of 3 30" long stainless steel rolling pins w/ conveyer belts that go back and forth until the dough is the desired thickness. This is a piece of equipment that I will never work w/out again, especially if we are making pasta...

What is a fish file?

Heard that about the power outlets, a ton are always needed....

As a PC, i think basic needs: a SEPARATE pastry kitchen! Can you imagine what it's like to have to use a table that has just been used to scale and fab a huge fish? Use an oven that bones have been roasted in, and all the little black charred bits land on top of your lemon pies or cheesecakes? Or maybe they just smoked 4 big salmons in your oven,-arrrgggh!, and then moved them to cool right above your pastry speed rack in the walk-in? Can you spell "P-U?"

other things, some already mentioned:

Convection oven that has an adjustable-speed blower (hi/lo/off)

choco temp machine

marble tabletop for rolling out, tempering and sugarwork

sugar box

raytek thermo gun

wagner paint sprayer

isi profiwhip, with extra cans

cool plates to put your beautiful food on

oh, yes, nice shiny new flat sheet pans --kept in separate quarters, so you hot-siders don't bang and warp them all up!!!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I had a big electric dough roller that we used for pizza and pasta. It rocked. We used to feed the pasta back into the rollers as it came out the bottom. We could roll a 50ft noodle. The rollers were about 2ft wide. The same kitchen had a row of bassic prep tables but with butcher block tops on them. Really a standard bakers table but the whole kitchen was filled with them.

I am assuming all the normal stuff like convection ovens, saute station, fryer, salamander, and flat top(I have never used one of those euro flat tops with the rings...are they available here?) One thing I found handy on the line was a small steamer cabinet. A stone pizza oven is handy.

A wok station would be cool. The saute cook would always be using it for things he forgot to put on.

A big emmersion blender of course.

I like cheap thin steel saute pans, but a nice set of copper/stainless sauce pans would be nice.

If at all possible it is nice to have some source of sunlight in the kitchen.

An ice carving facility would be neato.

A chefs locker room with shower facilities....and shoe cleaning service.

You should go to here: http://www.epicurious.com/features/chefs/keller and take a tour of the per se kitchen

When it gets right down to it, a kitchen with quality basic equiptment can put out an unbelievable range of food.

This guy cakewalk is something else. By all means read the thread. Even better, contribute to the thread. I think tony was trying to differentiate betwene sugestions for a pro kitchen as opposed to a home kitchen.

There are a lot of pros on here that contribute a ton of knowledge to the forums. The pros also learn from the home cooks. To come on this thread and raise hell is petty.

This guy cakewalk is something else.  By all means read the thread.  Even better, contribute to the thread.  I think tony was trying to differentiate betwene sugestions for a pro kitchen as opposed to a home kitchen. 

There are a lot of pros on here that contribute a ton of knowledge to the forums.  The pros also learn from the home cooks.  To come on this thread and raise hell is petty.

I think what some of the readers are reacting to is what they perceive as an exclusionary tone. One does not need to be employed in the food service industry, as the term "pro" suggests, to be knowledgeable about food service equipment and its usage in a commercial environment. I'm not a pro in that industry yet I'm familiar with a substantial majority of the equipment above other than the pastry equipment and was going to suggest such things as the sous-vide equipment and a high-BTU wok because I can think of lots of reasons to have both in a commercial kitchen but I didn't post after I saw the ugly exchange. I think if the initial post were worded differently and asked like you say about suggestions for a pro kitchen and gave that same list of examples, any Suzie or Jimmy homemaker thinking about suggesting a George Foreman grill, a Ronco rotisserie, and a set of Nigella measuring spoons would have moved right along and not wasted anyone's time which I am sure was Tony's intent.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

I will argue that using a dough sheeter for pasta work would be considerably more cumbersome and therefor time consuming than a proper tabletop unit.  I love sheeters for many things, but wouldn't ever think of trying to manipulate pasta on it.  So much of making proper pasta is done by feel. 

Jay, I have used the sheeter for pasta at several places I have worked, including Le Manoir in England, and I love it. I always am feeling the pasta dough, throughout the whole process, and I have found that if the pasta is made correctly, and given the appropriate rest time, than the product comes out superiorily (sp?... is that even a word?) to hand rolled. In a pinch, I have found that it is quicker too....

If at all possible it is nice to have some source of sunlight in the kitchen.  A chefs locker room with shower facilities....and shoe cleaning service.

Retrevr, thanks for the post, I really appreciate it, and thanks for the kind words, although I believe that the arguing is over, so I am letting it go. The window is going to be a huge picture window about 10 feet in the air, so the people can't see from outside, but there will be a window into the kitchen also in the private dining room, I think, so that you can see from there, sort of a glass enclosed chef's table if desired.

..... any Suzie or Jimmy homemaker thinking about suggesting a George Foreman grill, a Ronco rotisserie, and a set of Nigella measuring spoons would have moved right along and not wasted anyone's time which I am sure was Tony's intent.

Esvoboda, your right that my intent was other than what was percieved, something that has been a problem my whole life. Three things that have never been said to me:

1. Slow down, your running too fast!

2. Man, you should go and model for Abercrombie

3. You know Tony, you really have a way with words

So, once again, I do appologize for the misunderstanding. Esvoboda, you did hit it on the head, even w/ the little cheap shot about the Nigella Spoons....(I got them for Christmas, they are awesome w/ quenelling...I knew it... :wink: )

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

So, once again, I do appologize for the misunderstanding.  Esvoboda, you did hit it on the head, even w/ the little cheap shot about the Nigella Spoons....(I got them for Christmas, they are awesome w/ quenelling...I knew it... :wink: )

That's too funny! I didn't put two and two together that you were the one who posted about those Nigella spoons. So, it was an unintentional cheap shot! :laugh:

It's so easy to get in trouble on the Net, isn't it? :biggrin:

have cryovac machine for last three years..........awesome!

have 500w burmiester (not sure how to spell this, just think giant hand blender)

would love to have new kettle

and also a tilt skillet

and 2 soft serve ice cream machines and a new heat wagon and a big ass bbq for outside........I could go on and on and I usually do but it gets me no where with the powers that be............ :raz:

We used to smoke prime rib every day out in the alley behind the kitchen. This was downtown and we never had one dissapear.

hmmmm, I wonder if they will be smoking one tommorow?

I am in a catering kitchen right now. It is in a 80s circa building with the skewed roof line wich allows for a row of windows. It really helps my mood.

We have a wireless network in the kitchen right now, although I don't use it(my laptop is way too old). We sublet from an HP engineer that has a bakery but doesn't need the rest of the kitchen. We are in the process of building a new kitchen right now.

It will be pretty basic. The bakers table is right in the middle of the kitchen, right where you enter. I fought to change that. The bakery needs to be near the ovens and out of the way of everything else. I think that I can rearange it once we get up and running.

The cool thing is that we will have an overhead garrage door adjacent to the kitchen. We will be able to back a trailer in and load-up catering gear.

We will a have walk-in fridge and freezer. One thing that I am pushing for is to use one of our reach-in fridges for outgoing finished products (near the bay door). This will prevent someone from overturning a tray of labor while rooting around in the walk-in.

One thing I suggested is that storage for pots and pans be closer to saute than to the dish area. My thinking is that the higher paid saute cook spends less time walking and more time cooking. The inverse is true for the disher.

One thing I have never had on a line is a good place to put my knife. The house knives get stuck betwene tables...which is un sanitary, and the personal knives get put up on a shelf with the plates....which is unsafe. If you are going to integrate utensile wells, it would not be much of a stretch to accomodate a few knives for the line cooks. Perhaps each station could have a little three slot knife block made out of a sanitary material. The station where the desserts are plated should really have a bath for wetting and heating a slicer.

Here is a must have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4350508364&rd=1

.............and a cotton candy machine.

Edited by RETREVR (log)