• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last-minute Business in NYC

bakezoid

Just found out that I will be in mid-town tomorrow for the afternoon. May be able to fit in lunch before my meeting (flight arrives at 10 a.m.) and an early dinner after (return flight leaves JFK at 10:40 p.m.). So please QUICKLY give me suggestions for places to eat (and what to order) close to 44th and 5th (I don't want to waste valuable eating time in a cab. Wouldn't you feel the same?)

I'm counting on you.

Amy

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

You could have lunch/brunch at NY classic Lindy's (560 5th Ave, bet 45th and 46th). Perhaps some blintzes or pierogies? Pick up a cheesecake to take home.

Then have dinner at DB Bistro Moderne (55 W 44th, bet 5th and 6th). You'd need to leave for the airport by 8, so getting there when they open at 5:30 should give you enough time to dine. Call (212) 391-2400 for a reservation.

Thanks Rachel for your fast reply :biggrin: But my plans have changed with my meeting not until 4:30, giving me time for a lesiurely lunch but no dinner since my arrival and departure remain the same. Lunch is now the special meal. Does that change your suggestions?

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Isn't there a seafood place in Rockefeller Center that provides one of those quintessential NYC experiences - looks out on the skating rink etc? From what I recall there's better food elsewhere but the overall ambience might make it worthwhile.

Sorry that's all I know of that neighborhood.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Yes, that's the name, I knew it was something obscure & difficult to remember.

I remember reading a so-so review of the food somewhere, but I've walked by the place a few times & it does seem to be a really nifty setting. I'd try it if I had the spare $$ & time.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Post-food report

Thanks for all of your help; I want to tell you where we ended up.

Turns out my friend doesn't eat meat or shellfish, so that required constraint and creativity. But in NYC it' appears easy to find most anything.

We ended up at the China Grill at 53rd between 5th & 6th. Also were joined by a friend who had recently moved to Manhattan.

Ordered way too much of delicious food: Crispy spinach (I remembered it from one time only-12 years ago), long beans and shitake mushrooms with garlic, Caesar salad which was in the form of chopped salad with cashews and I don't know what else, and edamame risotto with miso grilled vegetables. Very expensive and quite a wonderful treat.