• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Italian

CindyG111

Hey y'all!

I went to Chili's for Happy Hour with the hub last Friday (183 & Burnet - close to both our offices) and couldn't find a freekin' parkin space. :angry:

Would have voted for a new location but the hub had already got us a table (what a great guy). On the rounds of the parking lot I noticed Tintinnio.

It looked pretty cool and Rob Balon gave it a pretty good rating:

Dining out with Rob Balon

Has anyone out there been? What do you think? Is it worth the parking debacle?

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

I've been once on a Sunday night and the parking was no problem. The place was almost empty. I liked what I ordered (it was some kind of pasta with wild boar sausage in a tomato based sauce, I think). My friend and his girlfriend said they liked what they ordered (some sort of ravioli and a chicken breast dish, respectively) but neither ate more than a few bites and didn't take the leftovers home with them. I later learned that when his girlfriend suggested we go for Italian, she meant Olive Garden :shock: I'll definitely give the place another try with friends who are a little more adventurous. :wink:

God Love ya Nacho - I despise Olive Garden. Maybe I'll go with ya.

I have my own sad Italian out eating story.

A couple years ago I wanted to go to Bellagio for Valentines Day. This was a down year for the hub & I. (anyone married a long time knows what I mean).

We had a reservation and when we got there the frazzled greeter told us we'd have a 30 minute wait (there were about 15 people jam packed into their entry area). Hub had a mini cow and we left.

He suggested El Mercado (which normally would have made me happy considering how much time I've spent there imbibing Mexican Martinis), but nothing would suffice. Sad V-day at Chez G.

Have yet to eat at Bellagio. I'm thinking Tintinio is at least within reach.

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

• 4 months later...

We really like the fried artichoke hearts. The portion is huge, and the quartered hearts are breaded lightly with cornmeal and fried perfectly. They're drizzled with an aioli and served with a marinara.

We really like the fried artichoke hearts. The portion is huge, and the quartered hearts are breaded lightly with cornmeal and fried perfectly. They're drizzled with an aioli and served with a marinara.

Tulanian! Welcome to eGullet. I had Rice for dinner tonight. It seemed awfully appropriate. I notice that you are stuck in Austin. Hopefully soon we will be enjoying some Longhorn soon.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Well we finally got to go and it was very very disappointing. Food was not good. Oh well.

On a high note for dessert we went to the Gelato shop around the corner. Yummy!!!!

Cindy G

~ Doug Larson ~

As long as we're having Italian in N. Austin, has anyone else been to Andiamo? I've had two quite nice meals up there. Lunch is much cheaper than dinner if anyone wants to experiment.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

• 2 weeks later...

The reports on Tin Tin Nio seems consistent with what I've heard: very inconsistent, both in food and service.

I would love to hear a report on Andiamo. We live near Burnet and 183, and enjoy dinning in the surrounding area (there are sooo many options.)

Facts and opinions equally welcome.

kcd

" Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force."--Dorothy L. Sayers.

As someone who just turned 50, I look forward to this state-of-being.

• 3 weeks later...
I would love to hear a report on Andiamo.  We live near Burnet and 183, and enjoy dinning in the surrounding area (there are sooo many options.)

Facts and opinions equally welcome.

kcd

My wife I celebrated our mutual birthday at Andiamo on July 11, which was a quiet Monday evening. We were disappointed that the restaurant's hands-on, table-hoppin' owner, Giovanni Cocciante, whose reputation definitely precedes him, was elsewhere that night, but apparently the waitstaff had learned from that infamous Chronicle review in January:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/disp...od_feature.html

To our relief, the supporting cast has definitely learned what to do when the boss is away. Our waiter looked to be about 15, AND it was his first night on duty :blink: , but he was engaging and was smart enough to admit when he didn't know enough about an entrée we asked about, rather than trying to bluff his way through. The maitre d' smoothly filled in with descriptions as needed. The room is medium-smallish and conservatively decorated, and tables are widely enough spaced to avoid a crowded feel (there were only a few other tables occupied, in any case). We began with a frico-like appetizer called croccante, made of fried parmesan, that we both liked. The Mrs. had veal in a wild-mushroom-and-creamy-cognac sauce that was perfectly done; the sauce was silky-smooth and very flavorful. I had linguine frutti di mare, an abundance of fresh shellfish in a light but somewhat spicy broth; I was happy.

Dessert was a terrific (and complimentary) huge slice of tiramisu, served on a large white plate along with sparklers, candles, and all the waiters singing Happy Birthday to us in Italian.

Service was attentive to a fault, and friendly without being obsequious. With tax and tip, the dinner came to slightly over $100 for two, which we both felt was well worth it. For the budget-conscious (and who isn't), they're also open for lunch. We shall return. :biggrin:

Andiamo Ristorante, 2521 Rutland Drive (NW Austin), tel. 719-3377. When you arrive, note the impressive autographed photos on the wall of many politicians (including two presidents and at least one first lady), from Cocciante's former location in Virginia.

Website (if a quite rudimentary one) at www.andiamoristorante.com

This is my first post on eGullet and I feel it appropriate to be in the Texas portion. It has been upwards of four months or so since my only visit to Tintinnio but I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I had a pasta with proscuitto that was a bit on the expensive side but the wine we ordered was excellent. I am hardpressed to remember but it was the waiter's suggestion and we found him to be knowledgeable about wine and food. It wasn't the best in terms of Italian in Austin but it wasn't a bad place and the service was excellent. Of course, I didn't pay for the meal and that comes into the equation as well.