• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inaugural Candlight Dinner

Kanishka

Okay--I know this isn't really restaurant related, but I'm searching for info on the menu at tomorrow night's inaugural candlelight dinners. There was a brief piece on Fox News about it this morning (lobster was featured, if I recall correctly) but I couldn't catch it all. Does anyone know who's catering or what the menu is? Help would be much appreciated.

(and no, I'm not going. gonna lock the doors and cry, just a little)

K

Edited by Kanishka (log)

the candlelight dinners and menu (click on the menu to enlarge!) :biggrin:

Still waiting for my invite to arrive ... porch light on ... :rolleyes:

From Coca Cola to Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Pilgrim's Pride turkeys, Scheib's dishes must satisfy the most powerful appetite on Capitol Hill these days: the taste for money.  "I've never had to create dishes that include soda, doughnuts and canned fruit before," says Scheib, who received his training at the Culinary Institute of America, and cooked at the Capitol Hilton in Washington and the Boca Raton Club before accepting the honor of "top toque" in the White House kitchens.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

without commenting on just how damn long it took my satire light to go off, other than to note that coca-cola brined turkey isn't nearly the tipoff that you'd think, I'd suggest trying this Post article instead, which describes it thusly:

Phillips said the dinners are intimate -- in inaugural terms -- with about 600 guests at each venue. The menu at each dinner will be the same. It will begin with a salad of lobster medallions with orange and grapefruit and dressed with citrus vinaigrette. Next, filet of beef tenderloin with asparagus, baby carrots and potato au gratin will be served. Dessert will be Georgia peach crumble, served warm, with vanilla ice cream.

Edited by babka (log)

"... referring to the White House's ban on béchamel and beurre blanc after France refused to support the administration's decision to go to war in Iraq."

Good lord. Thats just about THE silliest thing I have heard in a long time. :angry:

I'd say its juvenile but its more infantile.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

without commenting on just how damn long it took my satire light to go off, other than to note that coca-cola brined turkey isn't nearly the tipoff that you'd think, I'd suggest trying this Post article instead, which describes it thusly:
Phillips said the dinners are intimate -- in inaugural terms -- with about 600 guests at each venue. The menu at each dinner will be the same. It will begin with a salad of lobster medallions with orange and grapefruit and dressed with citrus vinaigrette. Next, filet of beef tenderloin with asparagus, baby carrots and potato au gratin will be served. Dessert will be Georgia peach crumble, served warm, with vanilla ice cream.

Actually, the Coca-cola brined turkey is a tipoff...Pepsi ponied up $100,000 to the inauguration so they'd need at least half the brine. Or maybe they can use Pepsi to glaze the hams.

"... referring to the White House's ban on béchamel and beurre blanc after France refused to support the administration's decision to go to war in Iraq." 

Good lord. Thats just about THE silliest thing I have heard in a long time.  :angry: 

I'm certainly not disagreeing with your point but perhaps the stupidest/most infantile food related item that comes to mind is the Congressional decision to change french fries to freedom fries. I'm sure it's changed by now but still...

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

Good lord. Thats just about THE silliest thing I have heard in a long time.  :angry:  

I'm certainly not disagreeing with your point but perhaps the stupidest/most infantile food related item that comes to mind is the Congressional decision to change french fries to freedom fries. I'm sure it's changed by now but still...

Freedom fries. -sigh- Almost forgot about those. Terribly foolish idea!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

So, here I am, a fiscally conservative (but socially moderate) Republican, and I have to wonder...with all the money being spent on this Inauguration, they can't afford electricity? Or is the candlelight dinner to hide the food?

:blink:

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Deana Swift??? Are you people morons to think that this is a legitimate story (not including you Babka)? Hell it is barely an original or compelling piece of satire; and certainly does not deserve to have Thomas Swift’s name in the least bit connected to it.