• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day in Philly

scase805

Any suggestions for Valentine's Day this year in Philly? I'll probably call to make reservations in a day or two for Friday February 11th, since my girlfriend is a student at St. Joe's and probably won't be able to go out on the real Valentine's Day.

On my shortlist:

Overtures (maybe too expensive?)

Bistro St. Tropez (wonder if I can reserve a table by the window? prob not...)

maybe Matyson...

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

Rich Pawlak did a good article about just this thing in the current PhillyStyle magazine. Rich, what's your top pick(s)? Any good spots that got cut from the article?

One of the places he mentions is Friday, Saturday, Sunday which I always remember fondly as having that perfect vibe.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

friday saturday sunday is definitely a solid pick. i've taken past girlfriends there and its always gone over pretty well. i guess i could add it to the "potentials" list for this year, since i'm pretty sure that the current girlfriend hasn't been...

Keep those recomendations coming!!!

btw - what about marrakesh? that's kind of a neat experience, definitely something out of the ordinary, but i've always gone with a large group...

think it would be nice for a romantic evening?

- Sicilian proverb

On my shortlist:

Bistro St. Tropez (wonder if I can reserve a table by the window?  prob not...)

maybe Matyson...

Overtures prix fixe special (early in the week) is a bargain.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

On my shortlist:

Bistro St. Tropez (wonder if I can reserve a table by the window?  prob not...)

maybe Matyson...

Overtures prix fixe special (early in the week) is a bargain.

I'll chime in on this suggestion too. Overtures is probably one of the most under the radar romantic restaurants and best values in the city.

If you don't feel like doing the BYO thing, a bunch of us stopped by Il Bar at Panorama after the DDC dinner for a glass of wine and all remarked at how beautiful the room is. Gorgeous murals, pretty lighting sconces and candlelight everywhere. And the 120 bottle cruvinet doesn't hurt either. You could do flights of Champagne and feed each other amazing hand made pasta. Definitely qualifies as romantic!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

sooooo, the girlfriend and i just decided to stay in for valentine's day and cook dinner together...

ok, really, this was her decision, since i'm a big wuss and apparently she wears the pants in this relationship :raz:

thanks for the suggestions (Katie, i had forgotten about panorama - i truly love that place! definitely gonna save that idea for a future date).

anyway, i hope this topic proves useful for other hopeful romantics!

cheers,

scott

- Sicilian proverb

Rich Pawlak did a good article about just this thing in the current PhillyStyle magazine. Rich, what's your top pick(s)? Any good spots that got cut from the article?

One of the places he mentions is Friday, Saturday, Sunday which I always remember fondly as having that perfect vibe.

Places that really float my boat romance-wise:

1. Overtures (drop dead gorgeous BYOB)

2. Fri Sat Sun (it just twinkles)

3. Inn at Phillips Mill, New Hope (country inn BYOB)

4. Umbria, 7110 Germantown Ave, Mt Airy (like a private little lovers club)

5. Il Bar at Panorama (Katie is right, just an incredible romantic setting)

6. Southwark, 4th and Bainbridge (small and swanky)

7. upstairs at Rose Tattoo, 19th and Callowhill (and their newly added side room, too)

8. Macaroni's, Old Bustleton Ave, NE Philly (tiny little expert Italian, a total hideaway)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Places that really float my boat romance-wise:

1. Overtures (drop dead gorgeous BYOB)

2. Fri Sat Sun (it just twinkles)

3. Inn at Phillips Mill, New Hope (country inn BYOB)

4. Umbria, 7110 Germantown Ave, Mt Airy (like a private little lovers club)

5. Il Bar at Panorama (Katie is right, just an incredible romantic setting)

6. Southwark, 4th and Bainbridge (small and swanky)

7. upstairs at Rose Tattoo, 19th and Callowhill (and their newly added side room, too)

8. Macaroni's, Old Bustleton Ave, NE Philly (tiny little expert Italian, a total hideaway)

Rich, is Southwark in the old Tartin space? What's the cuisine like? Good list,I especially agree with Umbria, one of our favs and under the radar. I would have definitely added Le Jardin until that debacle. I miss the old Pigalle for pure sexiness too. I find Figs in Fairmount to be romantic too.

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I ate at The Inn at Phillips Mill in October for my girlfirends 40th birthday.Very rommantic spot! We spent the night there also.It was a really nice, rommantic experience.Highly recommend it.

Southwark is in the old Tartin spot.I haven't eaten there but have checked out the menu.It looked pretty straight forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I need some help. The girlfriend is hinting at wanting to go to the Capital Grille on Valentine's Day, but I'm leaning towards Overtures. Do I take the risk and try and surprise her with the more romantic pick, or do I just suck it up and prepare to drop a week's pay at the Grille? And what are the pros and cons of each, by the way? Thanks in advance for your input!

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I think that question can only properly be answered by you, since none of the rest of us know your girlfriend.

That doesn't mean I won't try to answer anyway.

Has she hinted at going to CG specifically, or just about eating big hunks of meat?

If you do hafta go for the steak, CG is a good pick.

I do understand it's pretty noisy though.

The other one I'd throw in would be Barclay Prime. It's fairly dark, making it romantic automatically. Ceilings are lower so the noise level isn't as bad. From the BP reviews, my general impression is that the food and service is pretty good overall, just don't get the cheesesteak ripoff.

And of course, you can always blow her away with the Saloon, overpriced tho it is reputed to be.

I'd do the more romantic places like Overtures myself. Although I'd also try and have a steak tartare type thing at home before leaving for the restaurant. Or maybe champagne and dessert at home after dinner.

And then you can save CG for her birthday.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.