• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Restaurant in the Triangle (NC)

Varmint

I'm looking forward to the viviace review. While all of the restarauns mentioned on this thread are great, Frazier's remains _my_ favorite -- Kevin accomodated an anniversary dinner for me with a tasting menu (when they didn't officially offer one for a short while after the remodel) that was simply fabulous. I haven't had a chance to check out Vivace yet, but I'm dying to get some babysitting time so we can head down there for dinner.

It's always a good time to revive an old thread, particularly this one.

I won't rank my favorites, but I would agree that Fins, the Grill, and Vin are all on my favorites list, and they're completely different styles. 

I'll have a report shortly on Vivace, which I wouldn't put on the top of my list for elegant dining, but it's a restaurant that firmly clinches Kevin and Stacey Jennings as the Triangle restaurateurs who deliver the best higher-end dining value.

Has anyone been to Bon Soiree in Chapel Hill yet? It's a brand new fine dining place located in the former pyewacket's complex (across from 3 Cups, behind Penang, in what I think was an office before), and the menu certainly looks good. Still, I'd like to hear about the calibar of both the food and the service before diverting some student loan money towards checking it out.

My man Pistachio raises a good question here. The interior looks pretty swank, especially considering how far off the street this place is. The chairs, which are sort of Louis XVI style oval backs are probably the nicest chairs I have seen in a dining room in Chapel Hill. The menu seems well put together and classicaly french. Any word on who the chef is or what the resto's originations are?

I don't know when a nice French place was last in operation in town (Henry's and the time the served roast duckling my freshman year in Lenoir Dining Hall both don't count), how far back in Chapel Hill's culinary history should one look to find a true sacre bleu French place?

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Well we thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Nana's a couple of weeks ago. My memory is not as sharp as most of the folks here when it comes to minute-by-minute food impressions, so I will just list what we had and say it was all excellent. We'd definitely go back. It helps that it's only a couple of miles from our house. I can't believe it took us so long to go there.

Appetizers

Risotto

Local Heirloom Tomato Salad (I don't care for goat cheese but my wife loved it.)

Entrees

2x Grilled Kobe Beef Flank Steak

Dessert

Peach Cobler? (Something peachy for sure.)

Double Chocolate Tart? (See, I really can't remember since my wife ate it. Haha!)

The service and atmosphere was also excellent.

Edited by aldamon (log)