• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upscale Food Delivery in Arlington

ozgirl06

I need to summon ideas from the egulletteers.

I have a friend whose wife is ill. He and his wife normally dine out every night for dinner, but sadly, due to her condition cooking at home or going out aren't options. I would love to find a restaurant who could deliver a great meal/meal(s) for them - give them one less thing to worry about. They live in Arlington, Va.

My friend has mentioned that he and his wife have their usual stomping places in Arlington, but enjoyed mixing it up by going to new places in DC and MD each Friday night. I seem to recall him saying that he and his wife really enjoy Rays the Steaks and many of the other ethnic restaurants in the Arlington area.

Does anyone know of restaurants that can provide meals, as opposed to just a gift certificate? I've looked at Takeout Taxi, but the offerings seemed lacking.

Much thanks!

debbie

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

You best bets for delivery will be ethnic restaurants. I am sure some of Arlington's Indian, That and Vietnamese restaurants delivery. For something like Ray's you may have to appeal to them to do a special favor for you and their regulars. Nicer restaurants generally don't do takeout, much less delivery.

Perhaps if one of these restaurants agreed to do takeout, you could call a cab company to do the delivery?

Mark

I need to summon ideas from the egulletteers.

I have a friend whose wife is ill.  He and his wife normally dine out every night for dinner, but sadly, due to her condition cooking at home or going out aren't options.  I would love to find a restaurant who could deliver a great meal/meal(s) for them - give them one less thing to worry about.  They live in Arlington, Va. 

My friend has mentioned that he and his wife have their usual stomping places in Arlington, but enjoyed mixing it up by going to new places in DC and MD each Friday night.  I seem to recall him saying that he and his wife really enjoy Rays the Steaks and many of the other ethnic restaurants in the Arlington area.

Does anyone know of restaurants that can provide meals, as opposed to just a gift certificate?  I've looked at Takeout Taxi, but the offerings seemed lacking.

Much thanks!

debbie

Thanks Mark!

As you mentioned, I too doubted that the nicer restaurants would do takeout/delivery. I'm still looking into his wife's favourite ethnic places that will deliver. In the meantime, I think I'm falling back on sending a mess of food from Chicken Out rotisserie. It's simple food that can feed a whole bunch of people. Plus they can provide chicken soup and desserts. :-)

I'm still open to other ethnic restaurant suggestions for delivery in the 22201 area - for meals to be sent next week.

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

You might want to see if there are any personal chefs in the area - we once got a week's worth of dinners for my soon-to-be mother-in-law and her husband. The chef called them, reviewed their dietary restrictions and preferences, prepared 5 meals for two, and dropped them off. They loved it.

allison

I did this for my wife when she was having complications with pregnancy and hospitalized for some time. Even though I was new in town and didn't know any of the Chef's personally, I always had great success. Here are some pointers:

1) Call ahead. Not hours ahead, but days ahead.

2) Call at a "good time". Generally between 3-3:30 is a time that might not be too hectic.

3) Speak to the Chef or GM. Do some homework if you do not know their name (easily found on the internet).

4) Explain what you want to do. Be brief.

5) Offer to let the Chef cook whatever they want. He/she will certainly know what has a better chance of traveling well.

6 Don't put the restaurant out. Most don't have adequate to go containers for this type of thing. Offer to bring your own. (Tupperware will do the trick).

7)Don't ask for delivery. A sure deal breaker.

Something like the following worked well for me:

"Good afternoon Chef X. My name is Brian Reymann and my wife is hospitalized and loves your food. I was trying to cheer her up and I was hoping to bring her food from your restaurant on Thursday. I know this isn't something you generally do, but would really appreciate it if you could make an exception. I'll bring my own to go containers if you like, and can pick up the food promptly at 5:30. Would you consider doing this?"

If he/she agrees, show up on-time, pay full price, and TIP.

You should have really good success.

Thanks everyone for their insights! I've taken the advice to hire a personal chef. There seems to be a lot of room for flexibility in the days to be delivered and I can do this for an extended period of time (more than 1 day's worth of food). Also there is flexibility for food ingredients and types of food. The fact that dishes come as/can be frozen and reheated seems ideal for a family that doesn't want to devote a lot of time in the kitchen.

I'll report back on the success of the personal chef.

thanks again.

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"