• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jean Philippe Maury Patisserie

Oh, Im sure its real chocolate! I would guess that the chocolate is collected at the base of the fall, passed through a heated tube and pumped back out at the top, something like a tempering machine.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Yeah, the fountain is quite a sight to see. I had to mix all of the melting chocolate one day . . . tubs and tubs and tubs of it . . . .

Its neat because it looks like it should blend together, but the different chocolates do not . . . quite a feat if I may say so myself . . .

Oh, Im sure its real chocolate! I would guess that the chocolate is collected at the base of the fall, passed through a heated tube and pumped back out at the top, something like a tempering machine.

Yep, that's how it works - just like a regular water fountain. In fact, we were told it's designed to operate continuously for over a year without having to change or replace the chocolate. Since chocolate contains no water, there's no evaporation. Basically it's a fat fountain, and cocoa butter doesn't actually spoil, unlike butter for instance. Sorry, I don't know what brand they use for this thing.

Be glad you are in the dessert because if you were here the humidity would probably destroy the chocolate in less than a week.

I did notice one thing that was different than i predicted, its a lot cleaner. Meaning there seems to be no splatter or overflow anywhere creating a chocolatey mess.

Looks very nice and professional.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I just went to Jean Phillippe's a couple of weekends ago and I was absolutely astonished by the work. Too bad I missed the chocolate fountain...

I managed to take some photos of JP's cakes. They are not that good (my photos, the cakes are great), but do you mind if I post them, Neil?

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

I managed to take some photos of JP's cakes. They are not that good, but do you mind if I post them, Neil?

Please, go right ahead. What did you have and what did you like best?

I tried the gelato, carrot, intense, and some of the nicely wrapped truffles. Everything was excellent. The dark chocolate mousse, chocolate cremeux, chocolate macaroon, and chocolate glaze definitely made for an intense chocolate pastry that was just ridiculously good.

Wow, that chocolate waterfall is fantastic. Is it on 24/7? The pastries are like the desserts I saw in the display cases in Europe, but more colourful and vibrant. I must make a trip to Vegas just so I can see this at the Bellagio.

• 2 weeks later...

Far beyond way too cool...

Hey Neil, can you give a sales description of the chocolate rice krispie balls??? I mean I'm not asking for trade secrets, just how would they be described if I was there purchasing them?? Any nuts, spices??? Chocolate swirled inside?? Like what's inside taste wise-ish.

That fountain is thee total bomb!!!! Far & away beyond too freakin' cool...wow

Ha, funny story I have from yesterday.

The Floor manager had his daughters birthday party yesterday and he went all out for it and had it at the resturaunt. He even rented a 2 foot tall chocolate fontain for it. As the party was finishing up and I helped break it down to be cleaned I thought I'd show him the patisseries 27 foot fountain. He gave a little jaw drop stairring at the picture for about 3 minutes, turned his head to his little fountain and nodded dissapointingly. Poor guy, but it's still very thoughtful to do something neat like that for your 8 year old daughter.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I don't have the words in my vocabulary to describe how amazed I am right now. These are, by FAR, the most gorgeous pastries I have ever seen.

An honest question: does it get better than this? I mean, is there really a shop anywhere on the planet that can equal or better this visual orgy? I need to get out more.

Hey Neil, can you give a sales description of the chocolate rice krispie balls??? I mean I'm not asking for trade secrets, just how would they be described if I was there purchasing them?? Any nuts, spices??? Chocolate swirled inside?? Like what's inside taste wise-ish.

They are very similar to the standard rice crispy squares, but in a spheroid shape, and come in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavors.

Everything looks gorgeous, Neil! Thank you so much for sharing. The photos are truly awe inspiring!

I have just one question for you . . .

Will MARSHMALLOWS be on the menu?! :laugh:

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd chime in since I just got back from Vegas. I made sure I took a few trips to JP's while I was there, and everything was delicious. The Exotic was by far my favorite, with the "Intense" being second, followed by the charlotte and finally the carrot cake. The Exotic's flavors were diverse and went together extremely well. The spices in the center added an especially pleasant dimension and complexity. The cremeux sphere on top was FUN to eat (you've GOT to try this!) and absolutely delicious to boot. I'm guessing the frozen sphere is rolled or molded in a gelatin solution to form the skin. Every bite of the Exotic was intriguing.

As far as the store goes, the help was very professional and polite. On my last visit there, I noticed that the guy who waited on me had "Chicago" written below his name. Are the counter staff also pastry chefs, Neil? The chocolate fountain is an impressive piece of artwork, but the color of one of the chocolates, which looked like a sickly blend of white and milk, was a real turn-off. Chocolate just doesn't come in that color and it looked like latex paint, or chocolate milk at best.

The shop's floor was GORGEOUS. You can't see it in the photo, but in person it looks like thick, textured glass tiles overlaid onto a copper base. TOO COOL! I got a kick out of the disposable plastic dinnerware there. Until you pick it up, it actually looks like real silverware. :) I regret that I didn't have more time to try the rest of the desserts, and I completely missed the gelato altogether. The crepes looked like they were a big hit, but again, I didn't get to try those either. When I ordered the Exotic dessert, I was asked if I was referring to the crepe or the dessert, so apparently the same flavors are used in a crepe of the same name.

Every time I went, there was a decent crowd in the store, and a diverse one at that. I think it's wonderful that putting this caliber of pastry in such a high-traffic touristy place will help to bring a lot of awareness to a portion of public that might otherwise never experience pastry in this way. I just wish there had been one in the MGM Grand, as well... :) Two enthusiastic spatulas up!

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

They are very similar to the standard rice crispy squares, but in a spheroid shape, and come in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavors.

Neil,

WOW :blink: , after viewing all your pictures I'm seriously thinking of moving to Vegas next year. Are there any job openings in the Pastry Shop at the Belligio? How do you like your job, and the people you work with? What kind of befits do you get at the hotel? Also is your hotel union?

Thanks, Jen