• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are you a Grits girl?

Fresser

And Klary, our Amsterdam member of the perfect fried chicken above, has just posted her first shrimp etouffee on the Dinner thread---it looks so good, I offered to FedEx her a bag of grits for next time.

I never self-quoted before, but I must draw attention to the Dinner Thread. The sweet thing has just made up some of the purtiest Cheese Biscuits this side of a Baptist All-Day Singin'--and about enough of them to serve a good sized choir and several Deacons. She's getting Southerner and Southerner by the day.

Thank you so much for the self quote Racheld, I now know what to fix for dinner next week for my son and five of his frat brothers. Poor souls will have no cook then, as she is done this week- for the year. :hmmm:

The Amsterdam GRITS girl cooked pulled pork for her birthday last week. Not pitted or grilled, mind you---it's a kitchen version, and it looks GOOOOD. See "Foodblog: Chufi" which ends today.

We had two mahogany chickens and some meaty rib bits last night, straight off the Weber. I love being married to a man who likes FIRE.

I also have to get an E-greeting off to my sister for her birthday today---she's a wholehearted GRITS girl---went to Ole Miss, would raise a rebel flag over her Texas spread if she could, has pictures of Robert E. Lee and maybe Stonewall Jackson on her LIVING ROOM walls, spent a week in Salt Lake City searching out every first and last cousin to make her provenance to that DoC thing, and still thinks of her sorority sisters as blood kin. Every room in the house has paintings of magnolias and steamboats, and her Hispanic housekeeper can make a mean pitcher of sweet tea, presenting it with a "Here y'all go," that would make proud the matron of any Garden Club in Mississippi.

Her little mop of a dog is named Katie Scarlett, she thinks of grits and cornbread as a vegetable, and has her tomato crop in the ground before the tinsel's off the tree. Let's just say Sis would jump right into the Eastern Star if they'd only change the direction.

I better write her, bless her heart.

ex-cheerleader? check.

re-applies lipstick and powders her nose several times a day? check. :blush:

can bake a pie from scratch? biscuits? whoopie pies? check, check, and check.

...but I haven't made real pan-fried chicken yet. But I plan to very soon, right after I render my own lard for the fryin'. :wink:

I realized I had better 'fess up to being a GRITS girl after the fried chicken tonight. Well, that and I have a lipstick and clean hankie in every handbag I own. You never know...

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

You USED the sig line!! (In saccharine-laden Julia Roberts Southern Accent re: the radio station: "You BAWWWWD it!!!)

Even Jack would love it.

eta: Upon re-reading, I've been cursed with the echo of, "You can't HANDLE the soup!!"

Edited by racheld (log)

Wake up!!! Fresser!!

They're calling from your work to see where you are.  You've been in that fetal position since this time yesterday, mumbling about "Fire Engine Red" and  "Cherries in the Snow." 

Snap out of that lipstick-daze before we have to hose you down. :raz:

Ah reckon that some sweet tea and whoopie pies would cool down my flames o' passion.

Cherries in the Snow? Ah like that, yes Ma'am.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

You bet I'm a grits girl and darn proud of it! My baseball hat proudly reads GRITS (yes, Girls Raised In The South) and yes, I did buy it at the Cracker Barrel :)

However, I have to admit, there are plenty of us GRITS who are far less refined than some true Southern Belle GRITS. I'm a GRITS-gal was born in the great state of West Virginia, so I consider myself to be more of a white trash, hillbilly grit. No charm school here, and granny never let a martini cross our lips (strict Southern Baptists). But, let me tell you, we West Virginia gals can whip up some serious country food-- collards, angel biscuits, apple butter, sausage gravy. Awwww yeahhhhh, baby.

And although some may argue West Virginia ain't the South, I think our food, easy-going attitude and proud Southern nature qualifies us as true Southerners. Give me a big bowl of brown beans and a big 'ole chunk of cornbread and I'm a very happy girl.

Even have my very first cookbook coming out this Sept. featuring some serious downhome, West Virginia cooking. And yes, there are several grits recipes in there!