• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuzu Koshou

Hiroyuki

torakris often talks about yuzu koshou. Only today have I learned that the koshou in yuzu koshou is not pepper but green or red chili pepper.

For clarification:

青唐辛子 ao tougarashi = green chili pepper

赤唐辛子 aka tougarashi = red chili pepper

胡椒 コショウ koshou = pepper

In Kyushu, they call tougarashi (chili pepper) koshou (pepper), and they call koshou (pepper) you-koshou (western pepper).

I am not familiar with yuzu koshou. Usually, yuzu koshou is in paste form, but there are also some products in powder form.

Have any of you ever used yuzu koshou? How do you use yours?

I love yuzu koshou! :biggrin:

for those unfamiliar with it, it looks like this:

gallery_6134_549_1106088464.jpg

and we discussed it on Daily Nihongo way back when:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=321560

What can't you put yuzu koshou on? :biggrin:

I like it with tofu, noodles, miso soup, grilled foods, nabes.....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

You already stated in the daily Nihongo thread:

Though the word koshou refers to black pepper, in Kyushu it is also used to refer to green chiles, thus this paste is a mix of yuzu rind, green chile and salt.

I'm so forgetful. :sad:

I'll start looking for it.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

a friend was kind enough to send me a small bottle, as i can't get it in Montreal. :smile:

i rub it under the skin of chicken before i roast or bbq it; i use a small spoonful with lemon or lime juice and canola oil as salad dressing; i mix some in with soy dipping sauce for little crisp-fried tofu squares.

the combination of the very tart citrus and the warming chillis is amazing. i love it as well... :wub:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I found some Yuzu-Koshou!

YuzuKoshou.jpg

So far, I've eaten it with Sashimi, and "Japanese-style" Lumpia:

For the Lumpia, I mixed it first with a sauce of shoyu-water (although you can't really see the sauce well on here). But it was REALLY good!!!!! :biggrin:

Lumpia.jpg

The Lumpia filling consisted of ground chicken, shrimp, gobo, shiitake, carrots, hijiki, shirataki (yam noodles), Kudzu noodles, bean sprouts, and cabbage.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~aperry/LumpiaFilling.jpg

Reporting in on the recently-purchased yuzu koshu....

So far, besides Lumpia, Ive eaten it with tofu, Saba, miso soup, rice, and the aburaage pockets I made the other day.

I guess I can't get enough of it!! My BF loves it too :biggrin:

I have also recently discoverd kanzuri, I have seen this product on one of my local supermarket shelves for years now but have never paid attention. I recently ran across a recipe that called for it so I decided to try it out, it looks like this

gallery_6134_549_1106787753.jpg

It is similar to yuzukoshou in that it has chiles (red in this case) and yuzu but other ingredients include koji (rice malt). It is also fermented for 3 years....

I found some information in English

aparrently the fresh chiles are salted then tossed into the snow for a couple days before being mixed with other ingredients, it is then left to ferment for 3 years.

It is much milder than yuzukoshou but is quite similar in taste.

It is a speciality of Arai city in Niigata.

• 1 month later...

I bought this exact yuzu koshou today...I wasn't sure how to use it at first, so I tasted it by itself - it's amazing, it tastes so much like Indian lime pickles! So I think I'm gonna try it with some hot rice and yogurt - not v. Japanese (pretty Indian, actually), but the yuzu koshou is delicious. :smile:

edit: spelling

Edited by AmyDaniel (log)

Yuzu koshou is one of my favorite condiments. I like it on a simply grilled chicken, or instead of wasabi with sashimi. The brand I like best hasn't been shown yet - I'll take a picture and post it soon. I'll start looking for kanzuri as well.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know if there are there more varieties of chili pepper in Japan besides shishito and togarashi. Am I correct in thinking that yuzu koshou is made with normal green togarashi or is there a specific variety of chili from Kyushu that is used? Thanks!

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know if there are there more varieties of chili pepper in Japan besides shishito and togarashi.  Am I correct in thinking that yuzu koshou is made with normal green togarashi or is there a specific variety of chili from Kyushu that is used?  Thanks!

I did a quick search and it looks like they just use the plain old togarashi, one thing I didn't know was that for the green yuzukoshou they use the green yuzu and green togarashi, but for the red yuzukoshou they use the yellow yuzu and red togarashi.

I haven't seen the red version anywhere around here, but I am going to look for it now, I want to see how they compare in taste.

Just got back from a great 10-day trip in Kansai.

Look what I found! :biggrin:

Green yuzu koshou (315 yen, Hanshin Dept)

YuzuKoshouGreen.jpg

Red yuzu koshou (315 yen, Hanshin Dept)

YuzuKoshouRed.jpg

I also saw Kanzuri but didnt get it, as well as some Yuzu koshou in tubes.

not Yuzu Koshou, but potentially fabulous (havent tried it yet):

Yuzu-? furikake?? (dunno the Kanji) Flakes of dried yuzu. Im going to put this on some rice maybe tonight.

YuzuFurikake.jpg

Found in a shop on eastern end of Shijo-dori in Kyoto, 525yen.

ゆず粉 = Yuzu powder.

Ahhh...Yuzu-"ko"?

Arigato Hiroyuki-san.

Right, yuzu-ko.

粉 is pronounced ko (and kona in some cases), as in komugi ko (wheat flour) and pan ko (bread crumbs).

BTW, I appreciate all the information you have provided on this thread, especially the price information! :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
am wondering if anyone has some idea about the method i would need to go about to make the yuzu koshou?  a rough recipe would be great but all that is needed is some general ideas...thanks so much...

casey

Depending on the part of the world you are in, this might be a challenge, but basically it's using the rind of yuzu, and seeded fresh green or red chilies (togarashi).

The ratio can vary, and probably must vary depending on what kind of chilies you are using; I would guess a 2:1 yuzu to fresh chilies would be a good starting point. You'll also add a fair amount of salt, but it should be the smallest proportion. I think for long term preservation you need to put it in a sterile jar and heat treat the jar after sealing.

Basically the companies that make this are grinding the yuzu rind and chilies into a find paste; you can probably use a heavy duty mortar and pestle or a food processor.

As for using yuzu kosho, I like it best in hiya-yakko... cold fresh tofu, a little yuzu kosho, and soy sauce. Oborodoufu or some other soft tofu is nice; the most important thing is that the tofu is incredibly fresh and have no off (sour) flavors.

If yuzu are widely available where you are you're in luck, otherwise you should just hunt down the finished product in your nearest Japanese market. Yuzu are not in season right now, so you'll have a harder time finding them this time of year; wait until early fall for unripe yuzu or winter for ripe yuzu.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
yuzu-koshou flavored potato chips, they weren't bad but yuzu-koshou should be saved for better things... :hmmm:gallery_6134_1003_1487.jpg

Oh, but what if you were to make your own potato chips and then toss them in yuzu kosho while still hot? That would be delicious... especially if you made the crosshatch ones. Or perhaps a sweet potato version.

I've recently fallen in love with yuzu koshou mixed up with really salty grilled salmon and stuffed into onigiri.

This has got me on a full-fledged yuzu koshou obsession: what's everyone else using their YK for lately?

I add it to miso soup, add a dab to cold tofu, use it as a mariade for chicken and my current favorite that I do the most is this recipe for a cold pork and vegetable salad and I substitute yuzu koshou for the wasabi. Though in the above recipe I call only for cucumbers, I also add other ingredients depending on what I have on hand. Lettuce, mizuna, cabbage, daikon, celery, bean sprouts, sweet onions, carrots and tomatoes also are nice additions